Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by dk117 on 23 Jun 2018
  • bacon was a huge success.  It came out perfectly.   I'm seeing 165 to 425 temp range in day one.    Yes I am very happy.   I never had any intention of this being a grill.   Hopper assembly aside, this pit will outlive the cockroaches.  I'm curious what your research found on the controller.  It could be switched out for a Savanna Stoker but why?   I'm still learning the controller, and I'm confident I haven't figured it all out yet. 

DK

PS it will be months until I determine pellet consumption plus or minus (seems plus, but I never ran my Traeger at 425 for three hours straight).  Near impossible for me to just eyeball as this is a 35lb hopper vs the 20lb I'm used to. 

PSS Prices have changed since I initially purchased.  Steel costs are way up.  Demand is way up.

PSSS I know this pit is not perfect, allow me to bask in my day one glory before sharing the imperfections  ;D
    • dk117
  • #17 by Kristin Meredith on 23 Jun 2018
  • No such thing as a perfect pit -- there is only the pit that is perfect for you.
  • #18 by pmillen on 23 Jun 2018
  • I'm thinking that you might burn more pellets than you have been.  It'll take more BTUs to heat all of that steel and air space.  But so what?  You didn't buy it for increased mileage.  Then, too, I've always thought that pellet cost is a bag of shells when compared to the other costs resident in a cook, even if the pit cost isn't prorated. 
  • #19 by texasbrew on 23 Jun 2018
  • The capacity of that pit with a 24" barrel should be very nice.  I suspect that you may be able to run whole packers from front to back vs. length wise.
  • #20 by Bentley on 23 Jun 2018
  • I do not use or want multiple units sitting on my porch, I want one unit that can do everything for me.  That includes, low medium and what I consider high heat.  My pit does all of those things very well.  That is what I meant by my comment.  Gator concentrates on the body of the unit and leaves the controller and pellet feed to another company!
  • #21 by dk117 on 23 Jun 2018
  • much respect for you all-in-one guys.  That's just not me (and allow me this little jest, you all have been sous viding like mad lately!)   Pellet grilling for me is low and slow.  Being a Pacific Northwest guy, I suppose I'm chasing a Texas dream. 

Also want to make a note of agreement with pmillen ... if I were to purchase a '67 Impala I agree one of the last things we'd talk about is gas mileage.   It just isn't the point (pellet consumption).  I'll try to monitor and make some sort of opinion call after more experience with the new pit.

Finally, texasbrew, I certainly haven't tried yet, but I could probably fit 6 packers in the configuration you mentioned. 

[ Invalid Attachment ]

DK
    • dk117
  • #22 by dk117 on 29 Jun 2018
  • Week One Impressions:

• Lid.  I suppose it goes without saying that the body of this pit is built like a tank.  1/4 inch virgin steel.  2436 is the largest pit without a counterweight on the lid.  I initially thought maybe I made a mistake as the weight is really something to get used to.  Which I now have, it's very evident this is not a thin China made pit.  It takes a pretty good tug to open the lid.
    • Tel-Tru gauge.  Back on PH us Traeger owners affectionately labeled this a hood ornament vs the controller.  On this pit the controller and hood ornament are in very close alignment after temps settle in.
    • Pellet consumption.  I'm waking from an overnight brisket cook.  185 degrees for 6 hours, didn't hit the 35lbs hopper hard at all.  I suspect you all are correct, this will most certainly eat more pellets than my Traeger, haven't noticed a huge issue yet.
    • Drip Pan.  Oh boy this thing is kind of a pain.  It fits absolutely perfectly in the bottom of the pit.  But it too is HEAVY.   Cleaning is going to be a chore vs the light weight Traeger stuff I am used to.
    • Controller.   I am not used to the variable fan.  New sound, not as relaxing as the constant hum of the Traeger.  I haven't quite figured out where to maximize smoke production.  I was an admitted fan of my Ortech controller.   This PID is clearly more advanced and better at keeping temps in a very narrow range.  I do believe I'm seeing more thin blue smoke than I saw with the Ortech.
    • Grates and capacity.  Except for Thanksgiving, I suspect this will be more capacity than I ever need.  I kind of like it that way, lots of room to work.  I love the lower slide out tray.  I have one half of the upper tray removed for ease of access.  I have all the room in the world to cook 3 lbs of bacon flat if I desire.   Two pounds of bacon is a rather common occurrence at our house so the room is a nice plus.
    • Folding front shelf.   How did I ever live without one?  Upgrading to the 14 inch vs the 12 inch is probably the way to go, but I'm happy as is.

More to come ...

DK
    • dk117
  • #23 by triplebq on 29 Jun 2018
  • DK117 sounds like a killer pit.
  • #24 by verapx on 29 Jun 2018
  • Mine runs just about identical to yours. I got the 12" folding shelf and wish I had the 14" folding shelf. Lid is heavy, as I live about 2 hours from the shop I may get a counterweight put on.
  • #25 by dk117 on 02 Jul 2018
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
    • dk117
  • #26 by dk117 on 02 Jul 2018
  • these pictures unfortunately just don't do it justice.  This is my first overnight cook on the Gator. 

The players

14.67 prime Costco brisket (my first prime!)
    Injected with beef broth and Make it Meaty phosphates
    molasses glue, way thinner than I use for baby back ribs, but still a great glue
    1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup coarse ground pepper, tablespoon of garlic powder, tablespoon of smoked paprika, teaspoon of cumin.  for the rub.
    On the Gator at midnight, ran 185 until 9:00 AM or so, bumped up to 200 and finished at 225 at 1:45 PM.  IT ranged from 206 to 197.  Probe tender except for part of the point.   I had to get on the road at 2:00 so wrapped in butcher paper and towel and cooler.

Served warm around 5:30 that evening.

I've been eating at our excellent new BBQ joint The Smokin' Oak Vancouver WA.   I really like their brisket.  Mine is simply better  :P.

I made a few adjustments and my total packer experience I'm sure is less than a dozen, of which only two were memorable, until now.
    1) New pit.  I was very pleased with the consistency of the new pit.  I did run through a lot of pellets.  I'm guessing almost a pound an hour over the 14 hour cook.   Since you guys keyed me onto this, it's something I'll try to monitor.  I still have no concerns. 
    2) No foil / texas crutch.  I don't know what made me change, but it just didn't look like I needed it, I mostly had the time to monitor the cook as I saw fit.
    3) butcher paper for the rest.   Since I didn't foil, I just used butcher paper for the rest, probably didn't do a dang thing, but it looked traditional.

The smoke ring wasn't all that pronounced, probably due to the molasses.  Same would be said with the overall smoke taste vs post oak and lump charcoal.  The taste and tenderness where just spot on.  I'm sure a tad overdone vs competition.  Bark was to my liking, not too hard, not too soft.

I've got another one ready to go for 4th of July.  Might try to get a better finished picture this next time. 

DK
    • dk117
  • #27 by dk117 on 02 Jul 2018
  • Here is how it was served.  15 guys, no left overs (many just grabbed a slice or handful as we were out camping.)

guerrero corn tortilla
    ancho salsa (grilled on the gasser)
    lots of cilantro (wife cannot tolerate cilantro, so extra when camping with the guys.)
    corn and bean relish
    home made / doctored up crema
    cabbage for texture
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
    • dk117
  • #28 by Bentley on 02 Jul 2018
  • It looks like a Texas Brisket!
  • #29 by Bentley on 02 Jul 2018
  • As a person who has been using sodium phosphate for over 10 years let me ask you a question, do you think it makes a difference?  Do you think it would be the same as just injecting that beef broth?

• #30 by dk117 on 03 Jul 2018
  • As a person who has been using sodium phosphate for over 10 years let me ask you a question, do you think it makes a difference?  Do you think it would be the same as just injecting that beef broth?

honest truth is that I don't know.  If I recall correctly I was following your lead  ;D.  Minor or not, I made so many changes on my most recent brisket that I couldn't determine on if phosphates were the winner or not.  I just prepped my 4th of July brisket and followed the same process.  I suppose I'll run out of phosphates by November.  Then I need to ask myself a few questions.   If, and I stress if, my second brisket in a week turns out better than my favorite local BBQ joint, do I really want to start modifying the process and tempting fate by skipping the phosphates?  $25 for enough to make one gallon of injection.   I used 1 1/2 to 2 cups on the last two briskets.

Then I could take another thought process.  My pit, although superior in my mind, is probably lesser to the post oak monster that my local BBQ joint uses.  My prime grade might be superior.  Let's call the rub a wash.  I doubt they inject.  And since I'm now a non Texas crutch guy that is par too.   I doubt they use molasses as glue.    I tend to think I cook a tad lower and slower.   If I had to guess, and this is just wild speculation, there's something to the injection.   Also I am resting the injected and rubbed brisket for 12 hours before cooking.

So with all that said, I have no idea.

DK
    • dk117
Pages:
Actions