Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Bentley on 03 Jul 2018
  • Wow!  If you think this Make it Meaty has the flavors that are making it what it is, then I guess you would need to buy it.  But you can get 16oz. of sodium phosphate for about $15 online.  16oz. of sodium phosphate will make about 10 gallons of injection!

Make it Meaty phosphates
    $25 for enough to make one gallon of injection.
  • #32 by dk117 on 03 Jul 2018
  • Wow!  If you think this Make it Meaty has the flavors that are making it what it is, then I guess you would need to buy it.  But you can get 16oz. of sodium phosphate for about $15 online.  16oz. of sodium phosphate will make about 10 gallons of injection!

Make it Meaty phosphates
    $25 for enough to make one gallon of injection.
    you got me.   I found Make it Meaty as a suggestion on PH.   Cost wasn't really a factor in my decision making.   Assuming I purchase again, I'll search around.  I don't tend to think $15 or $25.   (to prove this point, I just checked Amazon and it's $18.95 on prime, not $25) My purchase was 4 plus years ago.  I don't do a lot of brisket and as with us all, am still trial and error and learning. 

DK

PS this reminds me, I still need to post about my decision making process on the purchase of the Gator.
    • dk117
  • #33 by bregent on 03 Jul 2018
  • I use the Make it Meaty Phos-This! Phosphate as well, but mostly in sausage and not injecting. However, the 1lb container, which is currently around $20, does make 10 gallons of injection.
  • #34 by dk117 on 04 Jul 2018
  • I use the Make it Meaty Phos-This! Phosphate as well, but mostly in sausage and not injecting. However, the 1lb container, which is currently around $20, does make 10 gallons of injection.
    PhosThis! Premium Phosphate Blend (16oz) is indeed $15.95 for 16oz

I'm using Make it Meaty Injection Base - one gallon pack $18.95, 5.2 oz.  Maybe I'm using the wrong stuff, who knows, works for me at this time.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

DK
    • dk117
  • #35 by dk117 on 04 Jul 2018
  • Back to the Gator Pit.

BBQ/Grilling/Smoking is my hobby.  I don't have a boat, RV, jet-ski, motorcycle.  I don't own viking appliances.   My trusty Toyota Tacoma is from 2003.   When you wrap your head around how inexpensive pellet grills can be vs other hobbies, well that opened up opportunities for me.  I could visualize spending thousands of dollars on this hobby.   My 8 year old Traeger has had two hot rods, three controllers, a savage grease fire that was my fault for not cleaning after a huge cook and then trying chicken.  It's warped and blistering, so I began replacing smoke stack, then SS burn pot and SS heat shield.  I began to rethink light weight rusting components for heavy duty, long term, SS.   Before my ultimate decision I looked at Jim Bowie (even with stainless and Wifi, it's near like for like of my old Texas) Timberline 1300 (this got me into the $2K thinking and fortunately for me, unfortunately for them, it has terrible reviews, 850 not so much)  Rec-Tec (I'm so pleased they aren't orange anymore, but ultimately not for me) PG500 (I had a crush on this thing for a year, but ultimately decided the zones weren't for me) Memphis (this seems to be universally deemed the pinnacle of the pellet grill industry, but not for me.)    I never really looked at Yoder which is odd as that's probably the closest comparison to a Gator.

I have no need for direct searing, I can do that on my very nice gasser thank you.  I wanted additional capacity as last Thanksgiving, two turkeys and 30 lbs of turkey legs ... I had to borrow a Louisiana pit.

I ultimately decided that my style is low and slow.   I ultimately admitted that I enjoy the artistry and experience of the process.   I'll never be a stick burner, but that feeling is what I was going for.   When I heard (here on PF) about Gator Pit, I quickly went into obsession mode.   I watched hours of youtube videos.  1/4 inch steel, stainless burn pot and heat shield and drip pan (all things I either had or were planning on purchasing for the Traeger.)  Dual stacks, wow this just did it for me.  The design and function is just so cool.   I hope to test out lower end smoking and cold smoking when I get some salmon.   Which leads me to the controller.   35 lb hopper, really nice upgrade there.   Pellet Pro controller and hopper assembly.  I'm clearly still learning here, but the fan only option was appealing.   Trying out a PID has been a modest learning experience.  The bolt on hopper assembly to a industry leading custom stick burner pit was very appealing to me.    You'll see 10 year old gators coming in for new paint and looking like new two days later.   I can afford a new hopper assembly in 5 to 10 years or whatever the number.  The pit should be in pretty much the exact same condition as it is today.

Then I finally discovered that these are actually custom pits.  Built to order.  I added a custom brand to the end of my barrel.  (for perspective owners, think long and hard and get your options right.)   So I didn't get a mass produced China made pit.  I own a custom made-for-me pit built in the USA.   That was a nice to have option.

More to come, 7 hours into a brisket cook as I type.

DK

PS any questions let me know.   I need to get some more cooks under my belt to really know this pit. 
    • dk117
  • #36 by dk117 on 04 Jul 2018
  • 16.77 lb packer looks tiny on the 2436 Gator.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

DK
    • dk117
  • #37 by dk117 on 05 Jul 2018
  • it was a thing of beauty.   It had that perfect jiggle.  Nice smoke ring.   Presentation was top notch .... but alas the flat was dry. 
     sigh, I've still got plenty to learn.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

DK
    • dk117
  • #38 by dk117 on 09 Jul 2018
    • additional observations.

• Temp consistency.   It's not even a comparison, Gator has Traeger beat on this easily.   I'm not noticing any left to right temp swings.
         The drip pan is very wide and very heavy as I've mentioned before.  It allows for hot spots at the very front and very back.  The second shelf is a little cooler than the main shelf.  Overall, very pleased with the entire chamber being near temp.
      • 2 inch ball valve.  I don't think I get it.  This is an upgrade for all stick and pellet pits at Gator.  I've got mine open 100% of the time.
         I don't move my pit.   Looks cool, but I don't understand the need to close or the function for a backyard pitmaster.
      • I think I found the smoke producing sweet spot.  Or rather I'm getting closer.   210 to 225.   The consistent thin blue smoke is pretty nice.  I'm going to have to make some adjustments as I used 180 a lot on my Traeger
      • ash/fly ash.  back to the gigantic drip pan ... I'm seeing no ash on my cooks thus far.

Next big cook is a month out, so it will be back to basics (tri tip, chicken thighs) for the next several cooks.

DK
    • dk117
  • #39 by verapx on 10 Jul 2018
  • I cooked burgers on mine Sunday. I cleaned the grill with a steel brush while still running. Got out the water hose and spritzed the grate and grease pan and the smoker came clean just like my offsets do. Left the smoker at 275 until no trace of water left. Neat trick when you have enough metal. Still have to clean ash of course.
  • #40 by dk117 on 24 Jul 2018
  • I had my first major issue today.  The pellet pro hopper has a grate, presumably to keep ones fingers out of the auger.  It also does a fantastic job of preventing pellets getting to the auger.  >:(   I ultimately found there was  a great big air pocket surrounded by pellets held up by the grate.

I was pleasantly surprised to see my pellet usage so low after an overnight cook.   Then to my dismay my 225 pit dropped to 180.   I restarted with lid open, yup, this part was totally my fault, I should have cleaned the fire pot first.   Big combustion fire.    Quick clean up and the brisket isn't worse for the wear, but that hopper grate is now gone.    There were over 10 lbs of pellets in the hopper, and none in the auger.   I'm a little ticked off.   Hopefully someone with a pellet pro assembly will read this and not encounter my error.

DK
    • dk117
  • #41 by verapx on 24 Jul 2018
  • Did that grate unbolt out of there or did you have to cut it out? I just got the new hopper but haven’t opened it up yet to look at it. My old hopper without the dump doesn’t have a grate in it.
  • #42 by dk117 on 24 Jul 2018
  • I'm afraid I must confess that I've noticed this issue twice before, but never a totally empty auger tube.  I would just put my hand in the hopper and move the pellets around and it would all sink to the bottom.

The grate just sits there, took all of 3 seconds to pull out (no cutting no bolts).  It looks to be powder coated and designed specifically to sit above the auger.   It was just a miss for me and I won't be using it again. 

Hopper Baffling System (Directs pellets into auger more easily)

That is supposedly new, so I see no reason for the grate at all.

DK
    • dk117
  • #43 by Bentley on 24 Jul 2018
  • Minor issue my friend, car wax, or food grade silicon on walls of hopper!  The more pellets that go through it, the less and less you will deal with this small issue!
  • #44 by dk117 on 01 Aug 2018
  • I found something interesting on Facebook last week.   The owner of Gator Pit posted some insightful numbers:

Past 3 years at Gator Pit:
    About 100 custom stick burner trailers.
    Nearly 500 backyard pits.

With Gator's pellet lineup being almost exactly a year old ... it leads me to believe that there are less than 100 Gator Pellet Grills in existence.  Likely closer to 50.    Just two of us on PF as far as I know. 

While I expect that number to explode in the next 12 months as evidence by the youtube videos In the Gator Pit showing pallets of Pellet Pro hopper assemblies, it does highlight that Gator Pit is a custom shop and a very niche player in the pellet market.   Again I'm speculating, but it looks like 6 welding stations, each station puts out a pit every other week on average (some are quite complex/custom.)   Even with explosive growth, we'll not achieve Memphis, Traeger, GMG levels probably ever. 

DK
    • dk117
  • #45 by Bentley on 01 Aug 2018
  • And a Custom Shop should not want to, it is what sets them apart.

Even with explosive growth, we'll not achieve Memphis, Traeger, GMG levels probably ever. 

DK
Pages:
Actions