Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by dk117 on 02 Sep 2018
  • It's been ages since we went to Disneyland.  Last month was the county fair.  Something like $14 for a turkey leg (EACH!).   I passed, but then realized I wish I hadn't despite the cost.  So I did them myself.  Butcher has them by the case for $45 plus tax.   Mine are as good or better.

DK

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #47 by dk117 on 02 Sep 2018
  • A little update.

Zero issues with pellets since removing the grate. 

Believe it or not ... Thanksgiving was an influence in my purchase decision.   Capacity was becoming an issue.  I've mentioned before, last year I had to borrow a Louisiana for my turkey as my Traeger Texas was full with turkey legs.    Yesterday we had our end of summer BBQ.   30 lbs of turkey legs (just a tad more than I do for thanksgiving.)     The few times I might need the capacity ... I've now got plenty.   14 turkey legs (over 2lbs average each) fit in the 24x36 gator with plenty of room to spare.

Cook went well.  Three day brine: salt, brown sugar, onion powder, meat tenderizer, cumin, liquid smoke.
    I went long on this one, started at 9:00 ate at 5:30.  185 to 225, to 245 was where we topped out.  The dark meat can take overcooking and still be moist.   IT of 180 minimum is what I was going for.  Top rack a little cooler that bottom, but very happy with the overall consistency of temps.  I didn't get the red color one can get from higher temps, but this was a winner.

DK

PS super outstanding smoke ring on this cook despite not getting the red/charred finished look.  As normal with a gathering of 17 or so folks, no finished pics :( 
  • #48 by Bentley on 02 Sep 2018
  • It is always nice to have the space you need!
  • #49 by triplebq on 02 Sep 2018
  • It is always nice to have the space you need!

So true!
  • #50 by triplebq on 02 Sep 2018
  • It's been ages since we went to Disneyland.  Last month was the county fair.  Something like $14 for a turkey leg (EACH!).   I passed, but then realized I wish I hadn't despite the cost.  So I did them myself.  Butcher has them by the case for $45 plus tax.   Mine are as good or better.

DK

This reminds me of the time I was in Dallas with my brother and he ordered a beef rib which was $20 a bone. That started me cooking beef ribs.
  • #51 by dk117 on 24 Sep 2018
  • 3 lbs of bacon.   I could probably fit 5 flat, maybe six.  Thick cut, 1:45 at 185, then 225 to finish.   Renders perfectly if you have the time.  I gave the stick burner guys on FB a hard time, this is pure pellets. 

DK

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #52 by SurfAndTurf on 19 Nov 2018
  • A little update.

Zero issues with pellets since removing the grate. 

Believe it or not ... Thanksgiving was an influence in my purchase decision.   Capacity was becoming an issue.  I've mentioned before, last year I had to borrow a Louisiana for my turkey as my Traeger Texas was full with turkey legs.    Yesterday we had our end of summer BBQ.   30 lbs of turkey legs (just a tad more than I do for thanksgiving.)     The few times I might need the capacity ... I've now got plenty.   14 turkey legs (over 2lbs average each) fit in the 24x36 gator with plenty of room to spare.

Cook went well.  Three day brine: salt, brown sugar, onion powder, meat tenderizer, cumin, liquid smoke.
    I went long on this one, started at 9:00 ate at 5:30.  185 to 225, to 245 was where we topped out.  The dark meat can take overcooking and still be moist.   IT of 180 minimum is what I was going for.  Top rack a little cooler that bottom, but very happy with the overall consistency of temps.  I didn't get the red color one can get from higher temps, but this was a winner.

DK

PS super outstanding smoke ring on this cook despite not getting the red/charred finished look.  As normal with a gathering of 17 or so folks, no finished pics :(

Legs are in the brine!!!
  • #53 by dk117 on 20 Nov 2018
  • that's awesome!   I got a little excited and put mine in brine Sunday afternoon.   I'm not worried, I like the 72 hours and more for a brine.  Thursday is going to be fun.  I'll wake at 3:00 am to start the water boiling, I'm going to try and get crisper skin this time.   Have to leave around 10:00 am (so 6 hour cook time max) for a 11:00 arrival and 1:00 supper.   Turkey legs (dark meat) will take the heat and the long rest time just fine.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

DK
  • #54 by dk117 on 20 Nov 2018
  • some of the advanced prep work entailed in the brining process.

DK

PS threw some new ingredients in the brine this year just for fun. 

[ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #55 by dk117 on 11 Mar 2019
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #56 by dk117 on 11 Mar 2019
  • so my hot rod died this weekend, after 9 months on the Smoke Daddy hopper assembly.  Dennis was awesome, responded within like 15 minutes on a Saturday. 

Ran out and got a new hot rod at $34.  The dang screw that holds the old hot rod broke in one turn.  After about 45 mins of trying to get that thing out another $39 for a stainless steel burn pot arriving Thursday, so I'm out of commission.

Fired up the 2009 Texas.   Held 225 like a pro!  Was fun to get the old pit running again after a lengthy startup (hadn't been run but twice in 8 months.)   

Then I see a few paint chips on the Gator, nothing $3.50 in high temp BBQ paint didn't fix in minutes.   Then I compared to my Traeger ... LOL rust.

I have some mixed feelings.   Smoke Daddy hot rods fail just like any other.   Gator paint chips, a little disappointing, but got that fixed.  I still love my Gator, this isn't a bashing post, just a FYI as all pits are going to need maintenance.

DK
  • #57 by dk117 on 11 Mar 2019
  • my Traeger bulgogi skinless chicken thigh skewers, pretty tasty.   [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #58 by dk117 on 13 Mar 2019
  • back in business.  No harm no foul.   A little early in the life of my pit, but normal maintenance.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #59 by pmillen on 13 Mar 2019
  • my Traeger bulgogi skinless chicken thigh skewers, pretty tasty.

I'd eat that.

Bulgogi marinade, skewer and grill?  If so, how long did you marinate the thighs?
  • #60 by dk117 on 13 Mar 2019
  • my Traeger bulgogi skinless chicken thigh skewers, pretty tasty.

I'd eat that.

Bulgogi marinade, skewer and grill?  If so, how long did you marinate the thighs?
    I think there was a discussion on this a week or two ago.  I went 5 days because ... well I got busy.  Evidently 5 hours would have done the same. 

DK
Pages:
Actions