Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke-N-Hot Grills Incoming  (Read 10134 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Smoke-N-Hot Grills Incoming
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2018, 05:06:25 PM »

You say this is your Low n Slow pit.  I am going to assume that is under 250°.  How much is it off?  I cant imagine 30° makes a difference of 15 minutes cook time on Anything!  Rotating or not!  We are not talking a loaf of bread, or a cake or even a salmon filet....ribs, chicken, butts, brisket, just cant see where it is going to matter!  These will be 4, 7, 12, 15 hours cooks!

The first cook is in, and I checked grate temps all over, and sadly they differ from front to back and side to side, which is definitely not what I expected from this pit.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 05:08:35 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »

>>We are not talking a loaf of bread,

Only low and slow? That pit looks too much like a bread oven not to do bread :)
Pizza too.

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2018, 06:47:54 PM »

You say this is your Low n Slow pit.  I am going to assume that is under 250°.  How much is it off?  I cant imagine 30° makes a difference of 15 minutes cook time on Anything!  Rotating or not!  We are not talking a loaf of bread, or a cake or even a salmon filet....ribs, chicken, butts, brisket, just cant see where it is going to matter!  These will be 4, 7, 12, 15 hours cooks!

The first cook is in, and I checked grate temps all over, and sadly they differ from front to back and side to side, which is definitely not what I expected from this pit.

When the rear center is at 250, the left and right front are at 195.  Now that I have the pit home, I'm going to add probes to many locations at once to get the full picture.  I only had the one probe with me at work the day I was running tests, so I had to keep moving it around.  These temps are just to far off for me to be cooking several things at once.  I'm pretty sure my fix is going to get it close enough for me though.  Time will tell.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »

Why just not cook on it for several weeks to get a feel for it before starting mods? If you have just been moving a probe around, it means opening the door and letting heat out in the front.  Why not put some food on it, leave it closed up for several hours, numerous times, and see how things work out over a period of a few weeks?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:50:03 PM by Kristin Meredith »

dk117

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2018, 07:50:57 PM »

Why just not cook on it for several weeks to get a feel for it before starting mods?
As a new pit owner, I've been quietly watching this thread.   Take a deep breath measure twice, cut once.  And frankly get two dozen cooks under your belt before even measuring. 

DK

cajunrph

• Lurker
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2018, 01:23:46 PM »

Almost added this one to my list. I had the same pits I was looking at as you were. You went way off tangent. I don't have a Fab shop to do any work. I do have access to a pharmacy so I can take care of any headaches. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

RanrocSmoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2018, 07:50:46 AM »

GatorDave, any updates this week? Did you make the heat deflector mod? Any additional cooks and how it performed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

GatorDave

« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2018, 09:25:50 AM »

GatorDave, any updates this week? Did you make the heat deflector mod? Any additional cooks and how it performed?

I've got it made, but not tested yet.  I was out of town last weekend.  I'm going to run it this weekend and see how she goes.

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2018, 01:30:50 PM »

I've got it made, but not tested yet.  I was out of town last weekend.  I'm going to run it this weekend and see how she goes.
Hope it works! Good luck and remember to upload pics for us please!

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

GatorDave

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2018, 08:45:34 AM »

Well, my new diffuser plate add on seems to have done the trick.  The front to back temps were within 5 degrees of each other and the pit probe.  I did't do a side to side test, but I'm fairly certain those temps are much closer as well.  Probably not perfect, but close enough for government work.  Luckily now I don't have to mess with the chimney.  I didn't get any pics this weekend, but I'll try to get them next weekend.

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2018, 05:31:59 PM »

Well, my new diffuser plate add on seems to have done the trick.  The front to back temps were within 5 degrees of each other and the pit probe.  I did't do a side to side test, but I'm fairly certain those temps are much closer as well.  Probably not perfect, but close enough for government work.  Luckily now I don't have to mess with the chimney.  I didn't get any pics this weekend, but I'll try to get them next weekend.

Great update and glad to hear it went well for you.

I just saw on their online retail site that the new Kansas City Grill is being sold, about $200 cheaper. It has an option for rotisserie equipment. Same 304 SS and same Roanoke controller but totally different body style. Please keep us in the loop on how you like your unit and how you like the customer service. I’m still on the market for a grill but that’s a lot of $$$ for a relatively unknown company. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

GatorDave

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2018, 05:15:45 AM »

I just saw on their online retail site that the new Kansas City Grill is being sold, about $200 cheaper. It has an option for rotisserie equipment. Same 304 SS and same Roanoke controller but totally different body style. Please keep us in the loop on how you like your unit and how you like the customer service. I’m still on the market for a grill but that’s a lot of $$$ for a relatively unknown company. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

I haven't even tried the customer service at this point.  I kind of went into to this with the thought that it would be xxxx, so I didn't bother when I had this issue.  I just designed a new diffuser plate and manufactured it.  Up until I put the new plate in, I wouldn't have recommended the pit.  The temperatures were all over the place.  I was one weekend away from writing this one off, and purchasing a different one, but the new plate seems to work really really well.

slaga

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »

I haven't even tried the customer service at this point.  I kind of went into to this with the thought that it would be xxxx, so I didn't bother when I had this issue.  I just designed a new diffuser plate and manufactured it.  Up until I put the new plate in, I wouldn't have recommended the pit.  The temperatures were all over the place.  I was one weekend away from writing this one off, and purchasing a different one, but the new plate seems to work really really well.

:clap: Glad to hear it. Let's see some cooks!
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

GatorDave

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2018, 08:54:57 AM »

:clap: Glad to hear it. Let's see some cooks!

I was all ready to show off my first brisket, but I ruined it.  I foiled it way to soon, so, while it is juicy and tender as xxxx, it had no smoke flavor, and no bark.  It's almost like I cooked it in the oven rather than on a grill.  Don't get me wrong, while brisket with no smoke flavor is still pretty tasty, it just isn't the same.

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2018, 09:29:22 AM »

When I nail a brisket, I just slice it and eat it straight.  When I "screw it up" similar to how you described, I just chop it with bbq sauce and throw it in a hoagie roll with melted cheddar.  Not what I wanted but still a treat nonetheless. 
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up