Pages:
Actions
  • #76 by GatorDave on 01 Aug 2018
  • When I nail a brisket, I just slice it and eat it straight.  When I "screw it up" similar to how you described, I just chop it with bbq sauce and throw it in a hoagie roll with melted cheddar.  Not what I wanted but still a treat nonetheless.

I just sliced it and we had it on kaiser rolls with slaw and bbq sauce.  It was really good, just not what I was looking for when I cooked it on the grill..lol.   Note to self; foil it after the stall, or at the very least during the stall, not way before the stall.
  • #77 by RanrocSmoker on 31 Mar 2019
  • Just curious to see how things are going with this pit.

Build quality holding up?

Rust?

Controller still responding?

Food quality?

Any problems or recommendations on this brand?

I just saw they have a new “Eco” grill, less frills regarding design but it’s all 304 stainless steel for under $1000! Reminds me of the Firecraft but this is double walled and looks a little more like a Memphis grill. Also has a rotisserie option (like the new Broil Kings).

I’m still searching for a grill but I’m glad to see companies are putting out different and more affordable stainless steel options. Thanks for sharing any helpful info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #78 by GatorDave on 02 Apr 2019

Rust?

Food quality?

I just saw they have a new “Eco” grill, less frills regarding design but it’s all 304 stainless steel for under $1000! Reminds me of the Firecraft but this is double walled and looks a little more like a Memphis grill. Also has a rotisserie option (like the new Broil Kings).

I’m still searching for a grill but I’m glad to see companies are putting out different and more affordable stainless steel options. Thanks for sharing any helpful info.

There are things I really really like about it, but overall, I wouldn't purchase it again.  The burn pot clean out is second to none, and has a definite pro I hadn't thought of before.  I keep my pit in the garage, and with my Rec Tec Bullseye, I have to leave it outside until it fully burns out.  With the hot and fast, I just pull out the burn pot, dump pellets on the drive and put the hose on them.  Then the pit is ready to go in the garage a minute after I'm done cooking, no waiting.

The cons though, outweigh the pros.  While it seems like a big pit, it's not all usable space.  That, along with the temps being all over the place make it hard to recommend.  I have to constantly move food around to get them to cook evenly, which is totally against the whole point of me getting a pellet grill, smoking meat for the lazy.
  • #79 by RanrocSmoker on 02 Apr 2019

Rust?

Food quality?

There are things I really really like about it, but overall, I wouldn't purchase it again.  The burn pot clean out is second to none, and has a definite pro I hadn't thought of before.  I keep my pit in the garage, and with my Rec Tec Bullseye, I have to leave it outside until it fully burns out.  With the hot and fast, I just pull out the burn pot, dump pellets on the drive and put the hose on them.  Then the pit is ready to go in the garage a minute after I'm done cooking, no waiting.

The cons though, outweigh the pros.  While it seems like a big pit, it's not all usable space.  That, along with the temps being all over the place make it hard to recommend.  I have to constantly move food around to get them to cook evenly, which is totally against the whole point of me getting a pellet grill, smoking meat for the lazy.

So even with your mods the temp didn’t stabilize, huh? That’s disappointing but by you sharing info here probably saved some people, including me, a lot of money!

• #80 by GatorDave on 02 Apr 2019

Rust?

Food quality?

So even with your mods the temp didn’t stabilize, huh? That’s disappointing but by you sharing info here probably saved some people, including me, a lot of money!

They helped, which makes the pit usable, but they didn't completely solve it.  Instead of temps that were only reliable in one small spot on the pit, I get hotter temps towards the front now than at the back, but at least they are consistent, so I rotate the meat during my cooks.
  • #81 by Bentley on 02 Apr 2019
  • Thank you for your honest input!
  • #82 by GatorDave on 16 May 2019
  •      Well, one of my biggest fears about this purchase has been somewhat allayed.  I had a probe go out the weekend before last.  I got around to calling customer service last Friday.  I sort of expected a bunch of run-around, but they just asked for my name, email address, and phone number, and sent the part out.  I just received it today.  So, so far, their customer service seems pretty legit, which, as you guys know, was a definite worry when I pulled the trigger on this.  Now comes the fun of installation, and then a brisket cook for celebration. :lick:
  • #83 by RanrocSmoker on 16 May 2019
  • Thanks for sharing this! Info about things like  how customer service responds is extremely important to share especially for small unknown companies like this.

I asked their customer service about Wi-Fi and the response I got was that they are getting ready to test. So, they are still on my short list for now, especially since it sounds like they didn’t give you any hassle on replacement parts. I may not get the outdoor cooking center, but maybe the Eco grill. Still undecided.

• #84 by GatorDave on 16 May 2019
  • Thanks for sharing this! Info about things like  how customer service responds is extremely important to share especially for small unknown companies like this.

I asked their customer service about Wi-Fi and the response I got was that they are getting ready to test. So, they are still on my short list for now, especially since it sounds like they didn’t give you any hassle on replacement parts. I may not get the outdoor cooking center, but maybe the Eco grill. Still undecided.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't get the Outdoor cooking center.  I would however consider one of their other grills.  I don't think they will have the same issues with uneven temps that the OCC has.
  • #85 by okie smokie on 15 Jun 2019
  • You did not show any pics of the mods you made to the deflector.  Do you have some? 
Pages:
Actions