Pages:
Actions
  • #136 by BigDave83 on 13 Feb 2023
  • The GF volunteered me to make what is called Gob Cake around here.

Most would understand the term Whoopie Pies instead of Gobs, same thing this is a cake version.

I usually make a black forest one using cherry pie filling in the center with the cream icing but they didn't want that.

I just use boxed cake mix and add an extra egg and use milk instead of water.

The filling is a cup of whole milk and 5 tablespoons of flour cooked until it gets very thick stir or whisk while cooking over medium heat, then cooled completely, put plastic wrap on top of the mix to keep it from drying out or getting a skin on it. Once the cake is cooled, add to the icing mix 3/4 cup softened butter and 2-3 tablespoons of shortening and mix it well.I use the stand mixer with the whip, then add in 1-1.5 cups of powdered sugar. Start with 1 and see if you want it sweeter, also add  in some salt 1/4 teaspoon give or take, and some vanilla. and beat it all together well.

You could add in any flavoring you like to the filling. I have added mint, banana, peanut butter and probably a few others.

now you have 2 cakes and you put the filling on one and put the other on top.

I used 1 box of cake mix for each half size sheet pan and I made 4 batches of filling.

If you want to make Gobs use a cookie scoop to portion out your cake mix and bake can probably get 6-8 on a half pan.  You want an even number as you will need a top and bottom.

I am not a baker but people seem to really like these things when I make them.
  • #137 by urnmor on 14 Feb 2023
  • Very nice
  • #138 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Feb 2023
  • Looks delicious!
  • #139 by Bentley on 10 Mar 2023
  • A traditional Boston Cream for a dinner I am going to tonight!  I think I am getting a little better at making them!

• #140 by urnmor on 10 Mar 2023
  • Looks great
  • #141 by 02ebz06 on 10 Mar 2023
  • Looks tasty!
  • #142 by yorkdude on 10 Mar 2023
  • Yep.
    Nicely done.
  • #143 by BigDave83 on 10 Mar 2023
  • Looks good enough to eat two pieces, or more.
  • #144 by Bentley on 11 Mar 2023
  • Got there, the top had slid half way off the cake.  Tried to fix it, but lets just say it did not look like the picture.  If I ever make another, gonna dig out some of the bottom cake and put the pastry cream in it!
  • #145 by urnmor on 11 Mar 2023
  • Got there, the top had slid half way off the cake.  Tried to fix it, but lets just say it did not look like the picture.  If I ever make another, gonna dig out some of the bottom cake and put the pastry cream in it!

You might want to use tooth picks, chopsticks, or skewers to keep it from sliding
  • #146 by Bentley on 12 Mar 2023
  • A 1 year celebration tomorrow night.  A pie you have no idea if you have done well until you cut into it!  I guess we will find out if it set tomorrow night!

• #147 by 02ebz06 on 13 Mar 2023
  • Pecan pie ?  Looks good.
  • #148 by Bentley on 13 Mar 2023
  • Yes, pecan.  I cut them this morning and the are firm, so pleased with that.  Hopefully not overcooked.
  • #149 by 02ebz06 on 13 Mar 2023
  • Nice!  Never thought I would like pecan pie. Then I tried it.   :lick:
  • #150 by pmillen on 13 Mar 2023
  • Nice!  Never thought I would like pecan pie. Then I tried it.   :lick:

Exactly my experience.  I shouldn't have waited as long as I did.
Pages:
Actions