Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro versus Elite  (Read 1129 times)

Mm2862

Pro versus Elite
« on: July 12, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »

Okay, I’m convinced a Memphis is for me but can’t decide if the Pro is enough or whether I should get the Elite.  Please weigh in.  I don’t necessarily need the grilling space on the Elite, but it’s always nice.  Does the additional 50 degrees make an appreciable difference when searing steaks?  Are there other features unique to the Elite I should consider? I will be doing packer briskets.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:40:30 PM by Mm2862 »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Pro versus Elite
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 10:22:33 PM »

Always buy bigger than you think you need if you can afford it and have the space.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 10:46:26 PM »

Have had a Pro for 8 years, I would always prefer more grill area, so if I could afford it I would have an Elite.  50° will NOT make a difference, I rarely use 650° for anything anymore, it is just overkill!

Okay, I’m convinced a Memphis is for me but can’t decide if the Pro is enough or whether I should get the Elite.  Please weigh in.  I don’t necessarily need the grilling space on the Elite, but it’s always nice.  Does the additional 50 degrees make an appreciable difference when searing steaks?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:50:15 AM »

I have a Pro after having a Traeger Texas (the 34" Traeger). I will say that I've been a little cramped for space a couple times on the Pro in comparison. Not because there isn't plenty, but because I had gotten used to what I could buy and load up the Traeger to cook and freeze for later. There is plenty of space to feed a 3-6 person family well on a Pro. If you want to cook 3 racks of ribs and other stuff, you'll either need to buy and utilize all the shelves or use a rib rack. That being said, just a while back I cooked a 12.5# packer and two 8-9 pound butts all at once with the 2 middle shelves. If you can afford the Elite, I'd say go for it as long as you also have the space. The Memphis grills do have a very wide footprint. The Pro takes more space on the patio than my Texas did.

You'll love either one!
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Gringo

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 11:10:24 AM »

I have a Pro that I got at a reduced price because it was a demo model.  At the time, I could not afford the Elite.  I love my Pro, but there have been several times I could have used more space because I was cooking for a large group of people.

As others have said, I don't think you would need the extra 50 degrees. I seldom go up to 650 on my Pro.  That being said, if I was buying a new unit, and could afford the Elite,  that's what I would get. 

But,  you really cannot make a bad decision here!  Good luck!

- Scott
Lakeville, MN MemphisPro Weber Performer Blackstone 36" Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 11:34:16 AM »

Whatever you do, buy all of the extra racks.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 12:10:49 PM »

I've got an Elite but if I were to do it again I'd get the Pro. I've never really come close to using all the space in the Elite. If on rare occasions I were to need more space, I'd use my Weber Kettle or vertical smoker. I say get the size that you think you'll need for 90% of your cooks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up