Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memphis fires -- what am I doing wrong?  (Read 1714 times)

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Memphis fires -- what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 03:46:33 PM »

I did contact Memphis support. They reviewed my past cook data looking for any controller issues but found nothing and simply reassured me that if I use the indirect insert I should have nothing to worry about. I was a bit frustrated with the response, but I know that users do the dumbest things too. I had previously confirmed with them though that I was using the indirect insert when the fire happened (and only use the direct insert rarely and on OF mode for steaks and such).

The drip pan idea might work and I might consider occasionally for exceptionally greasy meats. However, we are severely reducing our cooking capacity if we have to frequently cook over a drip pan on the main grid and put all our meat on the middle or top shelves. My last fire was cooking 9 pounds of chuck roast at 325 on a clean grill for 4 hours. I really don't consider that hot cook or chuck roast all that greasy.

I wonder if the deflector was made with a little steeper angle? To keep grease and food particles from accumulating as much on the deflector? I might try getting mine spotless and coating it with grill cooking spray to make it a little more slick, but not sure I can keep up with that because it would need cleaned and reapplied every cook most likely. Has anyone foil lined the Memphis drip tray?

I also want note that I'm in no way trying to bash Memphis. Except for this issue, I really love my Pro. The whole reason for even starting this thread is simply to find ways to eliminate this problem since it seems to be a fairly common thing that I've seen at least a few other users mention. Hoping someone already has the answer.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 04:31:53 PM »

I have never looked close enough, but I wonder if the grease fire is from grease in the back of the drawers.  I've got to the point that I don't use the grill above 275° due to the fires that I have had.

I should probably go through the recommended burn off process that Memphis has on youtube and see if that helps.  glitchy, have you tried that process?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

glitchy

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »

I haven't gone through the detailed annual cleaning yet (taking off the back, etc). However, I very regularly run the grill for 30-60 minutes around 475-550 degrees and then scrape things down and vacuum out a day or two later. I usually do this after a few shorter low n slow cooks or every one to two long cooks.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 07:04:48 PM »

I haven't gone through the detailed annual cleaning yet (taking off the back, etc). However, I very regularly run the grill for 30-60 minutes around 475-550 degrees and then scrape things down and vacuum out a day or two later. I usually do this after a few shorter low n slow cooks or every one to two long cooks.

Well, you are certainly doing a lot more than I am.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 10:07:27 AM »

Thought # 2.  Is the pit level? Tilting left or right would render the slope of the drip pan almost flat on one side.. A front to back tilt could allow grease to drip into a non intended location closer to the fire.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 11:14:40 AM »

Thought # 2.  Is the pit level? Tilting left or right would render the slope of the drip pan almost flat on one side.. A front to back tilt could allow grease to drip into a non intended location closer to the fire.

Good thought.  I should check that as I know I have a bad wheel that I have a metal shim under.

glitchy

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 01:17:14 AM »

It’s pretty close, but I’ll put a level on it next cook. It’s on a concrete patio, so my guess would be back right slightly lower if not level. I cook pretty much center of patio though. Last fire was on the left side.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up