Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pitts that use a pellet drop instead of directly pushing them in to the fire pit  (Read 3471 times)

ArborAgent

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.

Anyone know the different makers that use a "pellet drop" instead of an auger to push pellets in to the fire pot?

I'm pretty sure the FEC and Memphis do it that way. Does anyone else?
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

GatorDave

Yoder, Memphis, Grilla (original Grilla only), Fast Eddy/Cookshack PG series.  There may be others, but these are the ones I know of.

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking

Yoder is one
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.

Yoder, Memphis, Grilla (original Grilla only), Fast Eddy/Cookshack PG series.  There may be others, but these are the ones I know of.

Also Kuma and Firecraft I believe.

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.

And most if not all Louisiana Grills also.

ArborAgent

• Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.

Memphis, at least, uses an auger to deliver the pellets to the top of the chute.  No auger tube, but there is one at the bottom of the divided pellet hopper to move them to the chute.

That makes sense, I assume they all must have an auger but I'm looking for ones that have a disconnect between the fire and the rest of the pellets.
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

KrautBurner

That makes sense, I assume they all must have an auger but I'm looking for ones that have a disconnect between the fire and the rest of the pellets.

I really like this feature,
it's one reason I was seriously considering FireCraft for my next pit

but I'm leaning towards a Blazin' or Rec-Tec as of right now (even tho neither have this feature)
I'm usually cooking on a Traeger BBQ124, Traeger JR BBQ055 (SOLD), Traeger Texas BBQ075 (Father in laws), or a couple of SawTooth grills at my church

sleebus.jones

• I like meat

Ehh, it doesn't really matter.  I have two grills that auger feed directly into the pot, haven't had any problems over the past two years I've been using them.  I don't think it should be a deciding factor.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family

Memphis, at least, uses an auger to deliver the pellets to the top of the chute.  No auger tube, but there is one at the bottom of the divided pellet hopper to move them to the chute.

Yoder.  I have one, never a burn pot problem.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

rdsbucks

• "Everything rises and falls with leadership." -JM
    • I'm a leader in Dr. John Maxwell's foundation.

Having had both I think it's fair to say that the falling pellet system is an upgrade over the pushing pellet one. In my PG 500 the auger is very short and there is less of a chance for a breakdown.
Fast Eddy's Cookshack PG 500 Pit Barrel Cooker Traeger Tailgater

Osborn Cox

Ehh, it doesn't really matter.  I have two grills that auger feed directly into the pot, haven't had any problems over the past two years I've been using them.  I don't think it should be a deciding factor.

I think it does matter if you are looking for a grill that can achieve very high temps, at least it does to me for peace of mind.    When you get a roaring fire going in the pot I like the gap between the fuel source and the fire.   It would not be a deciding factor for me for a pure slow and low smoker, but I had an auger/hopper fire when experimenting with how hot I could get my Traeger and it would make me nervous to try and run 600* with a straight auger.
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

KrautBurner

I think it does matter if you are looking for a grill that can achieve very high temps, at least it does to me for peace of mind.    When you get a roaring fire going in the pot I like the gap between the fuel source and the fire.   It would not be a deciding factor for me for a pure slow and low smoker, but I had an auger/hopper fire when experimenting with how hot I could get my Traeger and it would make me nervous to try and run 600* with a straight auger.

what does the temperature have to do with the pellet feed system
I never had an auger/hopper fire with my old Traeger JR (H/M/S controller) when running 650*
my Traeger BBQ124 doesnt go that high (because of the digital controller won't let it) 
then again,  I've never had an issue with that one either  (or my father in law's BBQ075)
I'm usually cooking on a Traeger BBQ124, Traeger JR BBQ055 (SOLD), Traeger Texas BBQ075 (Father in laws), or a couple of SawTooth grills at my church

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry

Your Traeger Jr will hit 650°f?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

KrautBurner

Your Traeger Jr will hit 650°f?

according to the dome thermometer it did

it didnt have a digital thermometer  (that cuts off the auger above 450 or 500)

I could get an easy 550+ with LumberJack pellets 
and a solid 600 (would peak about 650) with the Charred Hickory pellets from LJ

I do believe that running the grill at these tempatures may have contributed to the heat deflector rusting/burning out as well as the drip tray

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck

what does the temperature have to do with the pellet feed system

I kinda' figured that the higher temperature required a larger fire producing a greater opportunity for the fire to migrate into the auger.  Then, too, the higher temperature/larger fire may ignite creosote or whatever else is built-up inside the pit, again making it easier for the fire to reach the auger.

I had a grill that was made with the auger tube ending at the fire box.  I would see scorched pellets in the tube when it shut down and cooled.  At the time I suspected that a hotter fire might have ignited them rather than just scorching them.  I eliminated my anxiety by selling the unit.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up