Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoking in the Rain??? Newbie Question  (Read 1641 times)

Hoo

• Lurker
Smoking in the Rain??? Newbie Question
« on: September 01, 2018, 10:21:28 PM »

Just purchased Memphis Advantage & did first cook—babyback ribs.  Overall very pleased with the result.  Chose the Advantage over CookShack PF500 & the MAKs.  Completely new to pellet grilling (had Weber gas grill).  There was a threat of rain and the smoker is on my patio.  I do have a retractable awning, but that is mostly for shade, though it  [ Invalid Attachment ] could offer some protection in light rain.  Is it safe to use the Memphis in the rain?  I don’t see any mention of it in the instruction manual.   [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
Re: Smoking in the Rain??? Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »

I put up a canopy tent when cooking.
I don't want my pit to get wet.
I guess if you were plugged into a ground fault protector you would be OK, but I wouldn't.
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 08:15:42 AM »

We have our Memphis Pro on the edge of our covered patio.  We had a dinner guest last night and the power went out because of a storm so we finished the sides on the Pro.  There was some rain coming in on the side hitting the generator and the side of the Pro but everything was fine.  But is was not a downpour and we did have protection for a lot of the pit.

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 08:25:28 AM »

I have a MAK 2 Star on our patio uncovered and i cook in all types of weather with no adverse results.  However I do have a cover for the grill which I use most of the time but not all of the time.  I also leave my pellets in the hopper with no adverse effects.

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 09:19:27 AM »

Nice job on the ribs. A canopy will do the trick for bad weather.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 10:52:42 AM »

Smoking in the rain can't be helped sometimes.  I have a neighbor that has a brisket in right now and it is pouring.  It is not under anything waterproof.  Yesterday he was doing ribs and these pop-up rains hit him several times.  Everything turned out fine.  As long as the pellets don't get wet and the power does not trip it should be OK.  Some of my best smokes has been when it is raining.  It seems like the smoke stays in the smoker more.  If they are calling for rain I will put up my canopy, but I then run the risk of it being blown down.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 01:25:33 PM »

Made 3 racks of ribs in the rain on Friday.  Made jerky in the snow last December.  You shouldn't have any issues as long as the pellets stay dry.  Knock on wood I never had that issue with the Elite.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 02:55:20 PM »

The first catering gig I did for my neighbor it rained so hard my pop up tent broke. I kept on cooking and it came out great.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »

Safe? should be OK other than the cord being in water.

The pit may consume more fuel as the rain has a cooling effect..A minor problem w/ Memphis' double wall.

Operator comfort - will be at the low end of the scale.

BRUM

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 04:34:15 PM »

Be careful, if using the temperature probes. I believe I have had 2 probes go bad because they because they were used for long cooks during 2 sever rain storms. I have now sealed the ends of my probes that plugs into the grill with liquid rubber. I hope this will solve the problem.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »

Take it from my 50+ years of electronics experience, circuits do not like moisture.    :(
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Canadian John

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 02:27:51 PM »

Did you try unplugging everything in the pit, then plug the pit in and see if the problem persists. If it does it's the controller. If not start replugging each circuit one at a time until the breaker trips or fuse blows.

That should lead you to the problem.... It could very well be the igniter even though it is iso mounted. It is supposed to have a small gap at the burn pot so it remains isolated. However it could have moved or

been installed w/o this clearance that would provide a path to ground if the igniter shorted - hot to ground...  If it's dry, good and sunny open it up with the cabinet doors open and the tray removed.Hood too.

That should dry things up and may solve the problem...  Let us know how things went.

Canadian John

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 06:11:56 AM »

Lessons learned:  - Your igniter may be fine once it dries out. A check w/ an ohmmeter will tell the story. Connector to body should read "0" ohms.

- The water entered thru the exhaust vents. It would take a lot to build up and infiltrate. So, cover the top area of the pit or place in under cover, might be a good idea.
                             ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          -  Re igniter replacement: There is a Memphis (youtube) video on how to PROPERLY install the igniter.

Cook-on my friend!

Canadian John

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 07:18:37 AM »

Lessons learned:  - Your igniter may be fine once it dries out. A check w/ an ohmmeter will tell the story. Connector to body should read "0" ohms.

- The water entered thru the exhaust vents. It would take a lot to build up and infiltrate. So, cover the top area of the pit or place in under cover, might be a good idea.
                             ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          -  Re igniter replacement: There is a Memphis (youtube) video* on how to PROPERLY install the igniter.

Cook-on my friend!
*Search - "memphis grill repair".Memphis Pro Igniter Adjustment is it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up