Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to decide to buy used Memphis Pro  (Read 755 times)

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
Trying to decide to buy used Memphis Pro
« on: September 03, 2018, 01:44:15 PM »

Found this on an online sales site.  I'm no expert on these, but looks to be an older one, maybe from around 2010?  Not sure when they transitioned to the new design.  Selling for $975, but the catch would be I'd have to get rid of one of my existing pellet grills.

I can't seem to find any info on the older grills, so no idea on WiFi (probably not) or direct flame grilling.  I do like the size of my Jim Bowie for smoking sausage, that would be one negative if I chose to get rid of that one.  I like the small size and light pellet consumption of the davy crockett so there's that...

Any opinions?   :-\
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Trying to decide to buy used Memphis Pro
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:53:40 PM »

Definitely no wifi and the new wifi is not able to be retrofit either.  Still a great unit.  Looks similar to my Elite model.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 01:56:30 PM »

If you think this is the one for you then there are many other ways you can go wifi.  Check out what thermopen has to offer they have smoke system that just might work for you.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »

If you think this is the one for you then there are many other ways you can go wifi.  Check out what thermopen has to offer they have smoke system that just might work for you.

While the Thermoworks Smoke wifi is a good product, it will not allow you to change the settings on your grill like the wifi built into controllers.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 02:08:28 PM »

From the S/N, it's  304 stainless. Higher grade than 430, and should be a late version of the non wifi models.

Go to Memphisgrills.com and search manuals by using the S/N. That should help..

From what I can see, it looks to be in good shape..Photos can be deceiving however.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 02:13:27 PM »

While the Thermoworks Smoke wifi is a good product, it will not allow you to change the settings on your grill like the wifi built into controllers.
Correct.  It could be considered as 1/2 wifi... It does have the one meat probe that lowers the pit to min temp when the meat temp gets to the set point.

urnmor

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 03:01:44 PM »

another possibility is to go to the manufacture and see if they recommend any after market products that might assist you in controlling the grill

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 05:54:22 PM »

We have the 2010.  No direct grill but no need as far as I am concerned.  Maybe Bent can post some of his old cooks of steaks and burgers.  It gets very hot -- he will have to post the temp.  It has been a great pit and a real workhorse.

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 05:55:11 PM »

Thanks for all the responses and clarifications on the model.  Also, good point on the other wifi options.  I do have a fireboard for my cinderblock pit, so that would work.  I think my biggest problem would be picking which grill to get rid of.  Hmmmm.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 09:20:06 PM »

Have you asked the seller about the vintage and features?

Also, tell the owner that you'll power wash the driveway for a discount on the price.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

ZCZ

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 08:23:44 PM »

$975 sounds like a very good deal.
Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7
Pages: [1]   Go Up