Accessories & Essentials > Knives, Sharpeners, Cutting Boards & Mats

Steak knives?

(1/8) > >>

dclord:
I've started to realize that the Henkels steak knives we got for our wedding twenty some years ago aren't very sharp anymore. Since they are serated I can't really sharpen them, so I guess it is time for new ones. There are several nice looking sets on Amazon from brands I never heard of that get good reviews, but of course I can't pick one up to set how it feels. Any one have recommendations?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

pmillen:
If they're only beveled on one side you might try laying the flat side on a wet whetstone and giving them a few strokes.

Otherwise, we bought wood-handled steak knives from Williams Sonoma.  I don't know what brand they are, but 8 come in a slide-top wooden box, so you might be able to ID them that way.  They are fine for the intended purpose.

dclord:
I've had too many wooden handled knives ruined over the years because someone left them sitting in water. I pretty much stick with black plastic handles now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

pmillen:

--- Quote from: dclord on September 14, 2018, 12:49:24 AM ---I've had too many wooden handled knives ruined over the years because someone left them sitting in water. I pretty much stick with black plastic handles now.

--- End quote ---

I rather prefer wooden handles.  But it might just be my traditional value—I grew up with wooden-handled knives.

No offense intended, but coaching and periodic application of a drying oil (i.e., edible flax seed oil) might be a fix.

bregent:
As Paul suggested, you can often get dull serrated knives back to usable condition by sharpening the flat side. But you can also sharpen the serrated side using a round or triangle file - lots of video on the web showing how. If that's the only problem with them and they're good quality, it's worth a shot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View