Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK so who has a Kuma grill out there?  (Read 1466 times)

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
OK so who has a Kuma grill out there?
« on: January 10, 2019, 04:55:45 PM »

I'm really liking what I'm seeing on paper but there's not many people with these grills online (or so it seems).  Maybe it's just built so well no one has issues, as we know people with problems like to yell. :)

So do share if you have a Kuma!

hokiepop

• Using less gas.
  • West Point, VA
Re: OK so who has a Kuma grill out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 06:58:01 AM »

I can share some information with you.   Bought a Kuma in August, 2017 and used it for 5 months before selling it to my brother-in-law bill.   Very well built smoker that gave me no problems whatsoever.   I only sold it because I found a deal on a new Memphis Elite I could not pass up. It produces a lot of smoke even at higher temperatures (350-375) and at the lower temperatures 180-225 the amount of smoke produced far exceeds my Elite.   I would rate pellet consumption as excellent and the pellet dump which allows you to change pellets is simple to use.   My only issue with it was the depth of the cooking area but Kuma has redesigned the grill making the cooking surface larger.   My brother in law has only had one problem with it and it was caused while being moved 70 miles to his house.   Somehow a pellet or pellets got jammed into the fan ( the hopper had been emptied or so I thought).  He could not figure out why the smoker would keep shutting down after ignition so he called Kuma, got one of owner's son-in-laws (its a family run business) who talked him through the solution.  I have to add that my brother-in-law is a retired patent attorney with no mechanical ability whatsoever but the directions given by Kuma enabled even Bill to fix it.
Good grill, think you would be very happy with a Kuma

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 12:19:34 PM »

I can share some information with you.   Bought a Kuma in August, 2017 and used it for 5 months before selling it to my brother-in-law bill.   Very well built smoker that gave me no problems whatsoever.   I only sold it because I found a deal on a new Memphis Elite I could not pass up. It produces a lot of smoke even at higher temperatures (350-375) and at the lower temperatures 180-225 the amount of smoke produced far exceeds my Elite.   I would rate pellet consumption as excellent and the pellet dump which allows you to change pellets is simple to use.   My only issue with it was the depth of the cooking area but Kuma has redesigned the grill making the cooking surface larger.   My brother in law has only had one problem with it and it was caused while being moved 70 miles to his house.   Somehow a pellet or pellets got jammed into the fan ( the hopper had been emptied or so I thought).  He could not figure out why the smoker would keep shutting down after ignition so he called Kuma, got one of owner's son-in-laws (its a family run business) who talked him through the solution.  I have to add that my brother-in-law is a retired patent attorney with no mechanical ability whatsoever but the directions given by Kuma enabled even Bill to fix it.
Good grill, think you would be very happy with a Kuma

Thanks this is quite a glowing review. :)  Good to hear about the build quality, smoke output and pellet consumption.  What are your thoughts on the searing capabilities?  When you say the depth of the cooking area are you referring the front to back depth or the height?  I assume the former but just want to confirm.  Looking at the Kuma site the front to back is only 15.5" that's actually not something I considered as I looked at the overall Sq/In of the cooking area.  Hmm...something to think about.

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 01:59:09 PM »

I wasn't aware of Kuma until I saw this thread. It sparked my curiosity, so I went to their site to take a look. They look like pretty nice grills. I hope others get you some good information on them to help you decide.

Though I think part of the challenge you might find is that there are a lot of established players in the price range this is in. With WiFi and a open flame, you're getting close to a Memphis Advantage on price that already comes with these (especially if you find any deal at all).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:07:13 PM by glitchy »
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 02:15:25 PM »

I wasn't aware of Kuma until I saw this thread. It sparked my curiosity, so I went to their site to take a look. They look like pretty nice grills. I hope others get you some good information on them to help you decide.

Though I think part of the challenge you might find is that there are a lot of established players in the price range this is in. With WiFi and a open flame, you're getting close to a Memphis Advantage on price that already comes with these (especially if you find any deal at all).

True, the Memphis Advantage is another grill I'm looking at.  Truth be told there are a number of better features on the Kuma.  Double wall insulation, ability to expose the searing option without having to move things around, larger pellet hopper.  I'm still researching my grill options though and haven't ruled out the Memphis Advantage yet.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 02:26:05 PM »

Larry did a Performance Test on one of their units on Pelletheads, it is is a shame it is not accessible anymore.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

glitchy

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 03:29:21 PM »

Hey Maynerd, you should clear out some space in your inbox. Was going to PM you some info.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 03:44:02 PM »

Hey Maynerd, you should clear out some space in your inbox. Was going to PM you some info.

Cleared it out.  I only had 3 messages!  LOL

hokiepop

• Using less gas.
  • West Point, VA
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 06:19:02 PM »

By Depth I meant front to back as you assumed.   The newer model is deeper than the smoker I had.   There weren't options available when I bought my smoker but Kuma has redone their pricing allowing you to add some things a la carte that were standard when I purchases mine.  Wi Fi was not available on the older model.   I have to confess, I have WiFi on my Memphis Elite but have never used it, its not something I need or want.   I did not sear on my Kuma as I owned an infrared gasser that was great for a quick sear.   

bregent

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 12:51:30 PM »

True, the Memphis Advantage is another grill I'm looking at.  Truth be told there are a number of better features on the Kuma.  Double wall insulation, ability to expose the searing option without having to move things around, larger pellet hopper.  I'm still researching my grill options though and haven't ruled out the Memphis Advantage yet.

The Advantage has double wall construction as well, right?

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 12:58:26 PM »

It does not.  It's actually pretty misleading.  The cover when closed has double wall on the sides as the cover.  Take a look at this picture you can see how the grill sides extend above the cooking surface and when the lid is closed the lid covers over those sides and for some reason they think that's enough to call it 'double wall' I think it's actually pretty lame of them to say that.

bregent

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 01:07:18 PM »

It does not.  It's actually pretty misleading.  The cover when closed has double wall on the sides as the cover.  Take a look at this picture you can see how the grill sides extend above the cooking surface and when the lid is closed the lid covers over those sides and for some reason they think that's enough to call it 'double wall' I think it's actually pretty lame of them to say that.

OK, I recall that now. But also consider that out of the grills that were tested for pellet consumption back on PH, I think the Advantage was the winner at all operating temps, so the construction probably achieves the desired results. Not trying to steer you one way or the other, just passing on info that I remember.

I came really close to buying a Kuma, and probably would have if a used Elite had not come along for a great price.  I really don't need the space of the Elite so if I were shopping again, the Advantage, Kuma, and PG500 would probably be my top 3 choices.

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 01:53:35 PM »

Yes I saw a test matrix showing the advantage being a pretty efficient grill.  Surprisingly it's more efficient than the pro even though the pro is double walled, which doesn't really make sense. 

Anyways, yes I'm still debating what I'm going to do. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up