Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternatives to Frogmats?  (Read 2456 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Alternatives to Frogmats?
« on: January 24, 2019, 05:56:40 PM »

All Teflon items are being thrown out of my house.  We think Frogmats are Teflon coated.

We're probably going to use the silicone Masterbuilt Fish and Vegetable Mats.  Are there any other good non-Teflon alternatives?

Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
Re: Alternatives to Frogmats?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 07:19:01 PM »

All Teflon items are being thrown out of my house.  We think Frogmats are Teflon coated.

We're probably going to use the silicone Masterbuilt Fish and Vegetable Mats.  Are there any other good non-Teflon alternatives?

Mind if I ask why?
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 08:40:54 PM »

Mind if I ask why?

You beat me to it. Is Teflon bad for you?
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 09:15:02 PM »

I believe that DuPont knowingly continued to poison the Parkersburg, West Virginia DuPont employees who worked to make Teflon, as well as the general Ohio River Valley population, with Teflon manufacturing residue.  (DuPont paid $343 million to settle the Teflon class action lawsuit.)

I’ve decided to avoid using DuPont's products to the extent possible.  And I will certainly not purchase anything that puts money into their revenue streams. 

Almost every Teflon-coated pan more than a few years old shows signs of the non-stick surface being scratched off.  I don’t necessarily believe that ingesting it represents a health risk, but I don’t care to eat it, and I don’t want my friends and family to eat it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 09:52:24 PM »

I would guess the patent has expired and "teflon" is being made by more than DuPont at this point.  I buy cheap frogmats on ebay from China.  No telling how soon I'm going to die from them.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

triplebq

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 10:54:00 PM »

I believe that DuPont knowingly continued to poison the Parkersburg, West Virginia DuPont employees who worked to make Teflon, as well as the general Ohio River Valley population, with Teflon manufacturing residue.  (DuPont paid $343 million to settle the Teflon class action lawsuit.)

I’ve decided to avoid using DuPont's products to the extent possible.  And I will certainly not purchase anything that puts money into their revenue streams. 

Almost every Teflon-coated pan more than a few years old shows signs of the non-stick surface being scratched off.  I don’t necessarily believe that ingesting it represents a health risk, but I don’t care to eat it, and I don’t want my friends and family to eat it.

Gotcha, makes sense.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »

Teflon coated fiberglass..Silicone has its high temperature limits as well..The only material I know of that is safe is stainless steel..Flat perforated trays work well, especially after several uses.. :2cents:

Ross77

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 10:42:08 AM »

I’ve been using this. Fits nicely in a half sheet pan.

Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R0M2TSC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_B4YsCb7TBA4XB
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 10:54:53 AM »

Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R0M2TSC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_B4YsCb7TBA4XB

How do you clean it?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

triplebq

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 11:20:35 AM »

I have some similar racks and they are a PAIN to clean. I don't use them much anymore.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »

I have some similar racks and they are a PAIN to clean. I don't use them much anymore.

That's why I had asked my question to Ross.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 01:05:21 PM »

Yeah, that non stick stuff is hard to beat.  I know there were Q-mats, but I believe same coating.  GMG used to sell some, but again I would venture to guess same material.  Some silicone is rate at 600°F I believe, but the baking mats are the only thing I know of that is made of it, and they top out at about 475°.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Ross77

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »

I spray it with cooking spray before placing the food on it. It’s no harder to clean than the other mats in my opinion.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 02:27:36 PM »

I use the materbuilt mats for jerky, they work well for me, you should have no problem.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 04:44:39 PM »

They look like nice racks.
Paul

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up