Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Another controller bites the dust  (Read 6754 times)

dclord

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Another controller bites the dust
« on: January 28, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »

I discovered the other day that the temperature up button no longer works. With FireCraft out of business that means I have to find something else to put in there. I sent off an email to Roanoke (the controller manufacturer) to see if they would be of any help, but I'm not holding my breath.

I saw a post that the Rec Tec controller can be made to work, but neither the new wifi version or the old PID version are available on the website. I may try to call, but I'm not sure how helpful they will be when they ask what grill it is for.

Blaz'n Grill appears to use the exact same board as mine, but again I can't order it straight from the website.

There are a lot of of boards for Louisiana grills on eBay, but most don't look official, and don't show the back of the board. I would try something like a Pellet Pro or Savannah Stoker, but both look like  I would have to cut a bigger hole even to mount them side ways.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Another controller bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 01:09:35 PM »

It seems, from your description, that it's the button component that failed.  I know zip about electronics, but can you, somehow, just replace the button? 
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

dclord

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:18:06 PM »

It is a membrane surface with a 7 pin ribbon connector that plugs into the board. It is theoretically possible to tap into the connection, but making the connections would be pretty tough. I'd have to come up with a small water resistant push button switch and find a place to mount it.

I'd rather just replace it but most of the PID boards are $200+. I may just stick in a Traeger style controller instead.

smokin soon

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 03:08:53 PM »

Did you take a look at the Blazn Retro Fit Kit? It comes with an enclosure.

dclord

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 04:28:51 PM »

Yes, it is on my list. I probably don't need the enclosure though as it appears to be the exact same board. There is a video that shows the back, same components and cables as the FireCraft. There is no Add to Cart button for it though. I'm not sure if they are out of stock or if they just want you to call.

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 04:56:18 PM »

Yes, it is on my list. I probably don't need the enclosure though as it appears to be the exact same board. There is a video that shows the back, same components and cables as the FireCraft. There is no Add to Cart button for it though. I'm not sure if they are out of stock or if they just want you to call.

Can you point me to this video you mentioned?

dclord

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 05:22:08 PM »

Can you point me to this video you mentioned?
https://youtu.be/Ssvyo3ide-s
At about 3:10 he flips the controller around to show where to plug in the wifi unit.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 05:35:27 PM »

I don't think they sell much of anything on their site without having to call or email them.  At least that was my experience when looking for items for a used Blazn I bought.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

jgrayson

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 10:28:48 AM »

Hello,

Sorry to hear of your controller problem.  The RecTec controller was an easy install, so it's unfortunate that they might be out of stock.  It's not going to be a good fit, but a few years ago I installed an Ortech controller in a Treager.  It seemed to be a better controller for the Traeger, but probably not as functional as the original FireCraft controller.  The Traeger and Ortech controllers that I'm familiar with are oriented vertically, and the FireCraft is designed for a horizontally aligned controller.  It's not pretty, but it would probably work and these controllers can be found on Amazon.
Have fun, John Yoder YS640S; Oklahoma Joes The Judge Charcoal Grill

dclord

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 02:48:31 PM »

I considered putting in a Traeger type controller, but after looking over the grill and making sure that the firepot was still in good shape, I went ahead and ordered the upgrade kit for a Blaz'n Grand Slam. $219. It's back ordered so it will be a few weeks. I'll followup when I get it.

RanrocSmoker

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 07:30:47 PM »

Looks like Kuma Stoves sells the Wi-Fi controller for $250 and Pitts and Spitts sells the Wi-Fi controller for $299. You may not need the Wi-Fi but the Kuma site says it’s in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

smokin soon

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 08:17:05 PM »

I considered putting in a Traeger type controller, but after looking over the grill and making sure that the firepot was still in good shape, I went ahead and ordered the upgrade kit for a Blaz'n Grand Slam. $219. It's back ordered so it will be a few weeks. I'll followup when I get it.

From the responses I've seen from original Blaz'n owners that have upgraded, my bet is your gonna love it!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 08:53:18 PM »

That Firecraft 450 was dang good little pit for the money, hope you get the controller situation worked out, should last you many decades!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

dclord

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 04:28:23 PM »

While still waiting on a replacement controller, I decided to see if I could get the temperature setting back up to my most used temperature. That entailed taking the controller back out and using woefully inadequate tools to figure out which pins mapped to which buttons. So using a multi-meter, alligator clips, and paper clips, I managed to figure out the pins, and also I found that there was a second dead button, the Pellet Prime button that I've never used.

I think I understand the cause of the failure.

FireCraft really should have put a bit of weather stripping along the top of the controller. They must have assumed that water wouldn't climb up from the opening and get to the panel edge and anyway the panel front is mostly sealed. The problem seams to be where the panel (the membrane buttons not the circuit board) ribbon cable connects. I think this area gets wet and corrodes. When I put the new controller in I am going to weather strip it. For now I've just used a piece of tape. I'll try to take pictures of what I believe to be the problem next time I take it apart.

W6YJ

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 09:24:01 PM »

I'm curious if you were able to kludge in a push button switch and get your controller going again.

And for others who may end up with a dead controller, another possible replacement would be the Dansons / Louisiana Grills Digital Control Center. I believe they are identical to the one Firecraft was using including variable fan control. They go for $150 at lots of places.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up