Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by okie smokie on 12 Jun 2019
  • Hey Ranrock, I see no need for GrillGrates on this unit, since there is direct flame and temps to 650*. Do you? 
    Did you get a specific Eco manual? or did they use the KC manual? 
  • #62 by RanrocSmoker on 12 Jun 2019
  • Hey Ranrock, I see no need for GrillGrates on this unit, since there is direct flame and temps to 650*. Do you? 
    Did you get a specific Eco manual? or did they use the KC manual?

I was pleased with the results of the direct flame steak searing but I’m going to try it a few more times. I’ve gotten used to searing on the cast iron inside the house, but now I will try that on the grill (heat up to 650 and then throw steak on the pan) and see how that works. That’s one of the things I’m really looking forward to: not smoking up the house any more! I might even buy a baking steel like for pizza and try searing on that at some point.

I got an Eco specific manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #63 by Maynerd on 13 Jun 2019
  • How even is the temp across the grill?  Have you done a biscuit test?  Let's see some cooks!
  • #64 by RanrocSmoker on 13 Jun 2019
  • Will try to do the biscuit test this weekend, if I can fit it in. Planning on doing a brisket on Saturday.

Not a lot of time today (as I'm working), but I was able to heat up the cast iron (12-inch) for an hour or so, grill set to 650* with the heat shield vents closed (indirect heat).

At 712*, it should sear nicely if I wanted to do this instead of open flame, although not sure if I'd want to wait that long for a pan to get that hot every time I do a steak. I'd rather just use the open flame.

I did not choose to see how high it could get with the cast iron. I've got to get back to work, and the rain clouds are setting in, so shutting down for today.
  • #65 by Maynerd on 13 Jun 2019
  • Where did you buy the grill from btw?
  • #66 by RanrocSmoker on 13 Jun 2019
    Amazon

• #67 by okie smokie on 13 Jun 2019
    They are out of stock on Eco with lower cabinet and have one more Eco without for $899. Not sure when or if they will restock this model. Perhaps there will be some influence from this site (I told the owner about PF).  Mine is shipped and will arrive next week Thursday or sooner. Only coming from Dallas to Tulsa, so should be sooner. When I get it I will test grate temps against control setting.  Should be a similar adjustment mech. as for my Blaz'n.  Should be able to get that from the seller (who is the engineer and I think was involved in the design).  If you have covered storage you might be interested in the "without cabinet".  Also it would be easy to make a lower cabinet as a project.  The current cabinet is not closed in the back or lower sides anyhow.  ?? I am impressed with your pan temp but will want to get the temp about an inch above the center of the grills and at each side, both at low smoke and high temp extremes.  My GS is adjusted to almost perfect in that respect.

Spent the day cleaning the GS and decided it is too good to just set a low price.  It is actually almost 3 yrs old not 4 as I thought.  My total cost including shipping was right at $1400.  I put another $125 into the custom 3/8 304 SS grates, and later $78 into the GrillGrates and spatula.  I'm thinking $500 as a starting place and that would be a great deal, since it is now clean and everything checked, tight and working.  Will have to sell it here in Tulsa, and it will take two studs and pickup to haul it away, as it is heavy.  Will sell it cheaper to any Pellet Fan who is close enough to pick it up. A PF will also get the SS exhaust tip for the chimney and the Godke smoke deflector which I have removed. Also has the original heat diffuser back in place.  The custom diffuser I made worked well, and is available to anyone interested for $20 (3/16 inch thick 304 SS and so are the bolts and nuts).  The fire pot has not affected it at all.
  • #68 by RanrocSmoker on 14 Jun 2019
    When I get it I will test grate temps against control setting. ...  The current cabinet is not closed in the back or lower sides anyhow.  ?? I am impressed with your pan temp but will want to get the temp about an inch above the center of the grills and at each side, both at low smoke and high temp extremes. .

As I’m able to, I will also share any temp measurements I can at grate level (I only have a Maverick clone type with grill temp probe and meat probe). And I’ll try to do a biscuit test.

You are correct that there is no cover to the back, but there are walls to the sides and the front (with perforations in the front panel for the fan).

• #69 by RanrocSmoker on 14 Jun 2019
  • Only had time this morning to do some temp measurements at 235* setting (I don’t plan on smoking past this temp on a regular basis…I might even smoke around 200ish, but it seems like many folks smoke somewhere between 225-250* and 235 seemed like a good mid-point for me to measure).

Ambient info: 73*, started setting up around 7:15a, Central Florida, windy morning (all directions, could not position for least wind impact), sunny

Controller set to 235* - took about 10 minutes to stabilize per the controller display

Heat shield slats were closed for smoking/indirect cooking

Probes: iVation wireless (1 grill probe and 1 meat probe); meat thermometer that came with the grill

Baseline info:
    I heated a cup of water for 2 minutes in the microwave, set all three probes, PLUS a Weber instant read meat thermometer for additional variance info.

My only issue doing this is that I don’t know how accurate meat probes are after a certain temp since they are made to measure internal meat temp, and the window for temp error might increase with temps, but oh well! (See pics below)

Edited for formatting:
    Between the Weber thermometer and the grill’s meat probe, there was a 2* difference (Weber displays higher temp).

Between the iVation meat probe and the grill’s meat probe, there was a 6 degree temp difference (iVation higher temp).

Between the iVation grill probe and the grill’s meat probe, there was an 8* difference (iVation probe reads the higher temp).

Between the iVation probes themselves, there was a 3* difference in readings (grill probe was higher temp reading).

Important: Throughout the readings, I saw the grill temps fluctuating from 230*-304* (per the iVation grill probe in the very center/center position…note that I did not sit and watch the temps the whole time, this is just what I caught on occasion).

Temp was constantly moving up and down, never staying at one temp for more than a few seconds (less than 5 seconds). I believe the grill’s controller is programmed to take the average temps over some time (X number of seconds) based on some area around the center of the grill and drop pellets and adjust fan speed based on this formula.

I took temps in three positions (center, then back, then front) all over the drip pan/heat shield as best as I could visually line up; see pics below):

Left probe: iVation Meat probe
    Center: iVation grill probe
    Right: Smoke-n-Hot grills meat probe plugged into the controller

Here’s what I captured (keep in mind, these temps were recorded as unit was either heating up or just starting on its way down after it was determining what was needed to keep an average of 235* and I was more concerned with variance from left to right at this point).

Also, I will account for the variance between the iVation probes and the grill’s meat probe by decreasing by the amounts indicated above (6 degree decrease for the iVation meat probe and 8 degree decrease for iVation meat probe):

Center (L/C/R temps):
    258*/285*/265*

Back (L/C/R):
    246/263/262

Front (L/C/R):
    249/263/262

Pics below.

• #70 by GatorDave on 14 Jun 2019

• Ambient info: 73*, started setting up around 7:15a, Central Florida, windy morning (all directions, could not position for least wind impact), sunny

Where in Central Florida are you?  I'm over in Cocoa.
  • #71 by RanrocSmoker on 14 Jun 2019
  • @GatorDave: Over by Monteverde (west of Oakland/Winter Garden).
  • #72 by okie smokie on 14 Jun 2019
  • I have noted on why Blaz'n, that it takes about 20 to 30 minutes to get stable temps at the level set.  i.e. If I set the temp (grill) at 225* and have my Maverick placed in the center 1" above the grates, it will take time to reach that level of 225* and then it will fluctuate significantly for another 20 or so minutes until the whole grill has reached whatever is stable heat for that setting.  All this requiring that I leave the lid closed, and don't touch any control. However, once that time is allowed, the fluctuation stops with exception of 3-5* or so.  The same goes for high end heat also.  Or more simply:Once at the temp selected, you have to wait another 20-30 before the temp will stop fluctuating. I think that the PID is learning what to do during that time. 

When I got my Blaz'n, the set temps were measured at grill level and were 30-40 * higher. I then used the adjustment settings (coached by Tim) to get the same temp at the grill grate as on the setting.  Took a while but has stayed accurate since.  Also learned not to do on windy day.  I will ask Dan at SNH if he has those settings adjustments for us to use if nec. Anxious to get mine and test it. :2cents:
  • #73 by RanrocSmoker on 14 Jun 2019
  • I have noted on why Blaz'n, that it takes about 20 to 30 minutes to get stable temps at the level set.  i.e. If I set the temp (grill) at 225* and have my Maverick placed in the center 1" above the grates, it will take time to reach that level of 225* and then it will fluctuate significantly for another 20 or so minutes until the whole grill has reached whatever is stable heat for that setting.  All this requiring that I leave the lid closed, and don't touch any control. However, once that time is allowed, the fluctuation stops with exception of 3-5* or so.  The same goes for high end heat also.  Or more simply:Once at the temp selected, you have to wait another 20-30 before the temp will stop fluctuating. I think that the PID is learning what to do during that time. 

When I got my Blaz'n, the set temps were measured at grill level and were 30-40 * higher. I then used the adjustment settings (coached by Tim) to get the same temp at the grill grate as on the setting.  Took a while but has stayed accurate since.  Also learned not to do on windy day.  I will ask Dan at SNH if he has those settings adjustments for us to use if nec. Anxious to get mine and test it. :2cents:

Excellent info. Thank you, Okie!

• #74 by okie smokie on 14 Jun 2019
  • Decided to wait until I get mine and test it before putting Dan on the spot about adjusting it.  It might be right on (If it ain't broke etc).  Good weekend for cooking coming up.  Finally got my GS into the garage (thru the house). Plan to clean the grates a little better, then ready to sell.  Overall a good day today, cool, cloudy, shot an 84 at golf (almost 83!).  No real house chores for the weekend, after all it is Father's Day.  US Open is on.  What more is there?
  • #75 by pmillen on 14 Jun 2019
  • No real house chores for the weekend, after all it is Father's Day.  US Open is on.  What more is there?

More?  The 24 hours of LeMans starts in the morning.  There's 24-hour TV coverage.
Pages:
Actions