Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Temperature Differential  (Read 3320 times)

goosta

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Temperature Differential
« on: June 20, 2019, 01:37:36 PM »

Does anyone else have issues with a temperature differential on the Q-450? I find it variable depending on the weather of course, but I feel like the grill consistently thinks it's temperature is higher than it is.

This example is from a recent brisket cook. Outside temp at the time was around 80 I believe with low winds. My Smoke thermometer measured 233 and the grill said 260. I've also confirmed this issue w/ a second thermometer (Maverick).

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Temperature Differential
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 01:48:12 PM »

I do not own one, but have had similar issues with different units.  As long as I could adjust the pit and it could hold the temperature I wanted, it never concerned me.  It was all about consistency.  If I had to set the pit at X to get Y I did not care as long as Y was consistent!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

goosta

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 02:26:09 PM »

I do not own one, but have had similar issues with different units.  As long as I could adjust the pit and it could hold the temperature I wanted, it never concerned me.  It was all about consistency.  If I had to set the pit at X to get Y I did not care as long as Y was consistent!

That makes sense. That's what I have been doing too. I recently got the Smoke Gateway which logs the temp data and allows you to view a graph. I did notice a swing of about 15 - 25 degrees throughout the cook. Typically + or - from my target (225 in this case). Is that normal in your experience? I experienced a similar swing with my Bradley smoker. I'm sure it also just depends on the pit and how well insulated it is (among other factors).

Thanks!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 02:28:43 PM »

Lots of factors come into play and the controller probably being the biggest factor.  I am in Camp Bentley.  I set my controller to 250° and place a probe on the grate level.  If that reads something different than 250° after the grill has stabilized its set temp, I adjust the controller +/- until I get the grate temp where I want it.  It is usually good then.  After a while, you will know that X temp on the controller is usually Y temp at grate level and you don't have to mess around with a grate level probe any longer.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 02:48:59 PM »

Being off by 10% is not that bad. Most home ovens vary by more than that.  :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 04:31:03 PM »

Both temperature measurements may be correct if they're taken in different locations.  If you put your smoke thermometer and/or Maverick near cold meat they'll be somewhat chilled.

But most of us do what Bentley and Lew wrote, let the pit stabilize, adjust the setting accordingly, put the cold meat in and don't mess with it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 11:04:43 PM »

If you are talking about goes up to 250° and down to 200, not bad.  If you are talking about goes between 212° and 237°, you got a keeper!

I did notice a swing of about 15 - 25 degrees throughout the cook. Typically + or - from my target (225 in this case).
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

goosta

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 10:15:56 AM »

Thanks guys. Sounds like everything is working as it should!

I was definitely happy with how my brisket turned out! First time on the pellet grill.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 01:16:32 PM »

I'd eat that.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 11:14:39 AM »

Thanks guys. Sounds like everything is working as it should!

I was definitely happy with how my brisket turned out! First time on the pellet grill.
That is what it is all about - how it turned out.

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 03:22:07 PM »

Both temperature measurements may be correct if they're taken in different locations.  If you put your smoke thermometer and/or Maverick near cold meat they'll be somewhat chilled.

But most of us do what Bentley and Lew wrote, let the pit stabilize, adjust the setting accordingly, put the cold meat in and don't mess with it.

+1
In my opinion the only way to see if controller is reading correctly is to have your prob in the exact location as the control prob any place else I would think it would be different to some %.

+1

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG
Pages: [1]   Go Up