Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by captaink on 27 Aug 2019
  • Lets start a discussion on these newer pellet cookers.  Anyone cooking on one?  I have a Blazn Grand Slam and want a 2nd smoker with more capacity.  I'm seriously considering the 1250.  Yep it's expensive.  However the more I research them the more I like them. I've looked at so may brands over the years.  I love my Blazn, so that's not the issue.  I had started researching them a while back when I saw a guy using one in a comp.  I was very impressed.  Turns out the dealer I got my Blazn from is going to carry them.  Obviously I like the controller.  They also seem to be pretty amazing in the smoke production even at higher temps.  I heard they do different things with the controller to accomplish that but I can't remember the specifics.  The are definitely tanks.  I like the shelf config as well.  Anybody have one, or anybody in the same boat as me and very interested in them? I can't really find a negative other than the price.
  • #2 by ArborAgent on 27 Aug 2019
  • It’s the same controller as your blaz’n. Really, i don’t think there would be any performance difference. If you like the way your blaz’n cooks I expect you’d like the way the p&s cook.

I think you’re paying for a different form factor.
  • #3 by okie smokie on 27 Aug 2019
  • It’s the same controller as your blaz’n. Really, i don’t think there would be any performance difference. If you like the way your blaz’n cooks I expect you’d like the way the p&s cook.

I think you’re paying for a different form factor.
    Those controls are made by the same company, but require adjusting to the units they are used for.  Such as pellet feed rate, algorithm, shut down algorithm, temp probe adjustments etc. Thus performance may be due in part to how each company programs their units.  In theory, they can be set to perform the same way. (may be supposition on my part?). Also possible that the manufacturer of the control may offer different performance parameters to choose from?
    BTW Danson uses the same control on the Louisiana units. Now having said all this; it is possible that the Chinese have already made look alike copies of the Roanoke controller--meaning I could be very wrong about all of the above.  :help:
  • #4 by ArborAgent on 27 Aug 2019
  • Danson has a knock off made in china.

I asked p&s and they use the Roanoke controller.
  • #5 by okie smokie on 27 Aug 2019
  • Danson has a knock off made in china.

I asked p&s and they use the Roanoke controller.
    Chinese rascals.  We should slap a tariff on those controls. :rotf:
  • #6 by RoadRunner18 on 18 Aug 2020
  • That Maverick 1250 does look like a well-made high capacity smoker.  A lot of nice features
  • #7 by Th3Batman86 on 18 Aug 2020
  • So I will preface by saying that I have no first hand cooking knowledge on these units. That said, my local dealer (Sam's NW BBQ) had them in stock for a while. He personally did not like the way that they cooked. Something about the design that made cleaning the grease and ash difficult. Also, the company would sell his units out from under him. Meaning he would order lets say 5 and they would build them and then before they shipped to him they would sell them to customers and drop ship and then he would have to wait longer. After about a year he stopped being a distributor for them. That is what I gleaned when I asked him about them when he had them in stock.
  • #8 by Brushpopper on 18 Aug 2020
  • That Maverick 1250 does look like a well-made high capacity smoker.  A lot of nice features

I have the Maverick 850 and it's plenty big for the four of us.  You could probable do two smaller briskets on it with ease on the bottom shelf.  I think I've done between four and five pounds of jerky with one cook.  It also holds the temps within just a few degrees and smokes quite a bit.  It's not heavy smoke all the time but constant.  And it is VERY heavy and takes a long time to cool off after a cook since it holds the heat so well.  Pellet consumption seems much less than the Traeger I had.  I'm very happy with it.  Especially at the price I got it at off of Craigslist. 
  • #9 by RoadRunner18 on 20 Aug 2020
  • After doing extensive research on Blazin, REC TEC, Yoder, Smokin Brothers, and Louisiana, I just ordered a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 2000 Pellet cooker  :bbq:  I should take deliver in about 4 weeks.
  • #10 by Brushpopper on 20 Aug 2020
  • I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.  I'm going to do a brisket on Saturday for my BIL and SIL for supper on Sunday.  Keep us posted on the progress and have plenty of help to move it where you need it.  My 850 is heavy.  Can't imagine the 2000.
  • #11 by RoadRunner18 on 20 Aug 2020
  • I ordered the Maverick 2000 with:
      * Trap Door Drip pan
      * Grill Cover
      * 8" x 2-3/4 Semi Pneumatic Casters Upgrade
      * WIFI Module

Next I'll have them make the Sausage Smoking Rack for the grill.
  • #12 by Brushpopper on 20 Aug 2020
  • I ordered the Maverick 2000 with:
      * Trap Door Drip pan
      * Grill Cover
      * 8" x 2-3/4 Semi Pneumatic Casters Upgrade
      * WIFI Module

Next I'll have them make the Sausage Smoking Rack for the grill.

I have both of the drip trays.  I've never tried searing with the one with the door.  I use the solid one for briskets and butts and the other one for everything else.  Never heard of the sausage rack.  Guess I need to visit the site again.
  • #13 by RoadRunner18 on 22 Aug 2020
  • I think the rack i am referring to may be called a Jerky Rack.  I called it a sausage rack because the video I was watching on you tube (The cook was from Minnesota) showed numerous sausages and meat sticks hanging from the rack, and he referred to it as a jerky rack. 
Pages:
Actions