Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Viva le difference  (Read 2435 times)

dogbreath

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Viva le difference
« on: October 06, 2019, 12:44:18 PM »

My first gen pro cart has been supplemented by a built-in pro that now has a couple of cooks on it. I had to call Memphis to figure out what the metal mesh in the pellet hopper was for--I'll be filling from the front so that's a good thing to have. Changes I really like:

Best is the grease pans. Much better than the tray, even though I line my tray with foil to aid clean up. Great improvement.

The gap in the pellet ramp--lets most of the pellet dust fall through before it gets to the firebox.

The flame insert--we sous vide our steaks, but then we need a VERY hot sear at the end. 'Nuff said.

The four way grates and removable flavorizer center section--I can now vacuum the fire box without getting grate grease/char all over.

I haven't really used the wifi yet. I have Meater probes to try as well--see if they transmit through the stainless. Going to do a southwest spatchcock chicken this afternoon and will try the Meaters.

The oldie got a new firebox and flavorizer. Nice that Memphis still supports their legacy equipment--it's certainly not ready for a junk yard just because the firebox cracked (hole-to-hole cracks from repeated expansion/contraction). I had tried to have the flavorizer welded, but the welds just kept breaking. Maybe my friend just lacked some welding skill, but the new one solves the problem. The igniter attachment in the new firebox is a bit different, but I figured it out. My old grill's power bus required removing the tabs from the ends of the igniter cords as well. The new igniter seems to heat up a lot faster, but I haven't timed it.

I took pictures so I got things back together the same way they came apart. Did a deep cleaning in and all around as well. The old igniter cord had mud dauber nests circling it--seared dauber, anyone?

It was also good to talk to Greg at Memphis, a voice from the past.

Dan

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Viva le difference
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 12:53:21 PM »

What is different about the grease trays than prior units.  My Elite is 7.5 years old.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

MikeMcQ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »

Congratulations on your built in Pro addition.  :clap:

I've only had my Pro a few weeks. I found the Wi-Fi setup pretty straight forward and seems to work well both at home and out and about.
Pellet Head since mid 90s with US Traegers (Dlx then Lil' Tex both gone) | Memphis Pro 304 Cart (2019) | MAK 2 Star wifi, front shelf and cabinet doors | GMG DB w/Smoke Daddy modded for fan only cold smoking or normal op | TEC Infrared gas for high temp searing | Tappecue

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 03:00:55 PM »

I think this would be the biggest improvement that I would ask for on my Pro.  To me it would virtually eliminate grease fires, but according to glitchy, I guess not.

Best is the grease pans. Much better than the tray, even though I line my tray with foil to aid clean up. Great improvement.

Lew, the Elite always had the 2 (I think) grease slots for pans on either side.  The 1st generation Pro's had a full length tray that sat underneath everything and grease and ash went into it!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »

Just love those Memphis pits! The only features missing are self cleaning and auto pellet replenishment.

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:17:03 AM »

I think this would be the biggest improvement that I would ask for on my Pro.  To me it would virtually eliminate grease fires, but according to glitchy, I guess not.

Most if not all of my started above the grease pans...a couple times they spread to the pans and that was a nightmare of baking soda and pulling the plug. Several were on the flavorizer/drip tray with only grease from the active cook. I think you're right that it can greatly reduce the fires and with the fires can probably be virtually eliminated, but you have to take a several extra steps in my opinion. Never turn up the grill 50 degrees to speed up a cook, use catch pans under chucks, butts, beef ribs, etc. After a greasy smoking session, make sure the inside is grease free before trying to 'grill' anything. I most recently had a couple fires start on the underside of the flavorizer with grease that collected in the gap on the insert and sat there and also collected on the underside of the flavorizer on the vertical support brackets - gap appeared after the first couple fires changed the slope of it.

The extra steps just didn't fit where I'm at now where I was looking for a single cooker that I could cook 3 different meals on it in succession to feed us for a few days. I desire something I can smoke a chuck or butt overnight at 250, then pull that in the afternoon and immediately throw on a chicken at 350, and after that cook some potatoes or grill some burgers for dinner.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 12:33:51 PM »

And all my grease fire have started in the drip and ash pan.  The little bit of grease that is on the grill or drip try burns off so quickly it would not last 60 seconds, so it really would be an upgrade for me.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »

I think most of mine were from grease on the drip pan and maybe one of them made it to the grease pans.

I did have a fire on my MAK once from the drip pan that went all of the way out the grease shoot and into the grease bucket on the exterior.  The fire just followed the flow of grease.

So, Glitchy, while you have a great point, I am not sure anything other the the FEC models will allow you to minimize the risk of grease fires.  If you find that one grill that is less expensive, I would like to hear about it because I would also like to do what you want regarding different temp cooks.  Now, I just end up using other grills or never cook at a high temp.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 05:29:32 PM »

My first gen pro cart has been supplemented by a built-in pro that now has a couple of cooks on it. I had to call Memphis to figure out what the metal mesh in the pellet hopper was for--I'll be filling from the front so that's a good thing to have. Changes I really like:

The gap in the pellet ramp--lets most of the pellet dust fall through before it gets to the firebox.

The flame insert--we sous vide our steaks, but then we need a VERY hot sear at the end. 'Nuff said.

The four way grates and removable flavorizer center section--I can now vacuum the fire box without getting grate grease/char all over.

I haven't really used the wifi yet. I have Meater probes to try as well--see if they transmit through the stainless. Going to do a southwest spatchcock chicken this afternoon and will try the Meaters.

The oldie got a new firebox and flavorizer. Nice that Memphis still supports their legacy equipment--it's certainly not ready for a junk yard just because the firebox cracked (hole-to-hole cracks from repeated expansion/contraction). I had tried to have the flavorizer welded, but the welds just kept breaking. Maybe my friend just lacked some welding skill, but the new one solves the problem. The igniter attachment in the new firebox is a bit different, but I figured it out. My old grill's power bus required removing the tabs from the ends of the igniter cords as well. The new igniter seems to heat up a lot faster, but I haven't timed it.

I took pictures so I got things back together the same way they came apart. Did a deep cleaning in and all around as well. The old igniter cord had mud dauber nests circling it--seared dauber, anyone?

It was also good to talk to Greg at Memphis, a voice from the past.

Dan

Old thread I know, but made more sense to post here than a new thread.

First, Hi Dan, how you been? Hope all is well and you are enjoying the new home (well new a few years ago).

Sounds like your Pro Built-In is one of the ones make in China.
I was really upset when I saw MADE IN CHINA on the box of my Elite Built in I got a few months ago.

For those that know, mid 2019 Memphis Grills switched to having their grills built in China.

Mine arrived almost DOA. Unusable at the least.
Trying to do the initial burn-in and it would display Error 3 and shut down.
Worked with Greg (IMO He is the only good thing about Memphis now) to get it resolved.
He sent new controller and RTD.
It turned out to be a bad RTD.
So finally up and running in 3 weeks.

That screen in hopper is to to keep fingers out of auger I guess.  I removed mine.

You like the split pellet chute so sawdust doesn't go into burnpot, now it ends up outside the burnpot.
Sawdust in burnpot burns just like pellets.
I hate the split chute, thinner metal (and less of it) and pellets end up down next to back of burn pot and in ash pan.
Elite has 3 pans, Grease catchers left and right, ash catcher in middle.

Not a fan of the new controller.
When you turn it on, it goes straight to cook mode.
IMO should go to Menu and let you select Cook or Options.
Simple enough to set a flag when cooking and check for it on startup in case of power outage while cooking (Flag set, go to cook mode - not set, go to menu).
That irritated me because when I first powered it up I wanted to setup WIFI and it was spitting pellets into the pot.

App not great, I was able to change temp up/down, but could not turn grill on or off.
No plans for a PC Desktop app.

OK, enough on that...

=======================================================
Bentley, Bar-B-Lew,

A way I found to virtually eliminate grease fires is to spread a box of baking soda in the grease tray.
Soaks up the grease.
And they are free (if you use them in your fridge/freezer and save the ones you replace for the grill that is).

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 05:41:52 PM »

that baking soda trick may be a good idea.  Unfortunately, I think I somehow get water in my pans now when it rains very hard or at a particular angle.  Maybe it is where I have my grill placed.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 05:52:31 PM »

that baking soda trick may be a good idea.  Unfortunately, I think I somehow get water in my pans now when it rains very hard or at a particular angle.  Maybe it is where I have my grill placed.

Ouch, water not good.
No cover?
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 06:08:20 PM »

Ouch, water not good.
No cover?

I don't use covers.  Every time I have used one it either had wind get up underneath it and tip over a grill or left more condensation under the cover that caused other issues.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 09:04:26 AM »

I find it hard to believe Memphis had downgraded itself to such a low level.  Greg, a true Memphis asset, must be having nightmares trying to keep the ship afloat. I'll bet the price hasn't been reduced either.

Sad, so sad.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 09:45:32 AM »

I'll bet the price hasn't been reduced either.

Sad, so sad.

Nope, less metal, cheaper to build, more profit, lesser quality product for customer, laid off US employees, and same price.

Pages: [1]   Go Up