Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Weber SmokeFire incoming  (Read 14658 times)

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Weber SmokeFire incoming
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2020, 08:15:46 PM »

On a personally exciting note, every outdoor cooker I own is now a Weber. The Camp Chef and my Performer both found new homes today. I had a buddy waiting for the Camp Chef, but someone contacting me about the Performer in Iowa in February was a surprise.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2020, 08:30:17 PM »

Ash drawer after a full bag of pellets, 2 chuck eyes, Beef Ribs, Pork ribs, one ring sausage heated, and biscuits.
Not much ash for 20 lb of pellets.  Was there much seen inside the cooking area?  Looks like the grease drippings made it into the aluminum drip pan. 
Great review.  Looks like you pleased (as I would be).

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2020, 02:11:21 AM »

After your few cooks, what are your pros and cons of this grill so far and how does that compare to the 3-4 grills that you have already owned.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

glitchy

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2020, 11:54:11 AM »

After your few cooks, what are your pros and cons of this grill so far and how does that compare to the 3-4 grills that you have already owned.

Definitely with the disclaimer of SO FAR:

Pros: Features for the price, searing abilities, no smoke stack, or grease bucket, nice controller. Yes, my Memphis had or did all these things too, but at 3-4 times the price. Haven't found yet anything the Weber doesn't do that my Memphis did.

Cons: Previously mentioned the app and no dedicated probe wire slot. Haven't found anything else yet.

Also, I cooked the biscuits right after the ribs to test the fire risk. There would have been a very good possibility of a grease fire on the Memphis when I turned up to 350 right after pulling beef ribs. I don't know where all the grease is in the grill from those though...they were super fatty, I got like 6 bites of meat of 2 bones. Pretty xxxxxx piece of meat, but tasted awesome. The drawer pic is post cook...so the grease is in the barrel or evaporated on the flavorizer bars? I haven't torn apart to look yet.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

glitchy

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2020, 11:56:37 AM »

And another question:  is there ash and partial pellets behind the grease pan outside the drawer?  The pic seems to show that.  I recall your concerns about hot embers falling intot he grease pan - is that still a strong concern?

I'll pull the pan all the way out and look later. In the pic, that's still the drawer. The grease tray has about 1/4 of the drawer yet behind it. I'm not sure on the embers yet, from the looks of the drawer it seems to keep the 2 separated.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2020, 04:55:20 PM »

can you run the probes thru the vents in the back?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

glitchy

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2020, 05:07:54 PM »

can you run the probes thru the vents in the back?

You could for sure, but I can't remember where I've read that isn't a really good idea though as the heat is concentrated there. I'm probably overthinking it though as I used to run them through there on my junior all the time until I read that and never had any problems. It  probably wouldn't hurt anything especially on < 300 degrees. For decent probes, it might be less risk than pinching the cables.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2020, 05:38:34 PM »

Hope you have found a pellet unit that meets those needs.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Goosehunter51

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2020, 01:09:41 PM »

Looks like the grill I have been waiting for, very interested to hear any updates you might have.
Smokin like a two stack MAK come on!  MAK 2 Star General #3053

glitchy

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2020, 01:47:52 PM »

Looks like the grill I have been waiting for, very interested to hear any updates you might have.

Not too much more yet. I cooked a frozen pizza and some burgers on Sunday and nothing since. So, got in every meal I ate over the weekend on it. I was surprised at the smoke flavor present on the pizza and burgers. Still very happy. If you have a MAK, what are feature or difference are you looking for? (out of curiosity) This doesn’t do anything my Memphis couldn’t, but I decided I wanted more than one smoker and couldn’t justify keeping the Memphis along with a Summit Charcoal if I could get most of my money back.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 01:56:31 PM by glitchy »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2020, 02:19:31 PM »

what are the dimensions of the top and the bottom rack depth and width and how much height is between the two?

bregent

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2020, 02:43:39 PM »

How would you rate the level of smoke flavor, compared to your other pellet grills?

glitchy

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2020, 03:02:14 PM »

what are the dimensions of the top and the bottom rack depth and width and how much height is between the two?

Shoot, you asked that a while back too. Purely from memory and estimation, I'm pretty certain on the main grid being 17.375 by 23.5-24. The upper would be 24 wide, but deeper than most at like 10 inches and the distance between is also more than anything Ive had before. I'll try to get you a more precise measurements next time I cook on it, if I don't get you details with the next cook update, remind me again.

glitchy

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2020, 03:05:54 PM »

How would you rate the level of smoke flavor, compared to your other pellet grills?

For some reason, it actually seems smokier than any of my past pellet grills throughout the entire temperature range. I was really shocked at the amount of smoke I tasted on the pizza. However, I was using different pellets than I've ever used before and it was kind of a damp cold all weekend weather wise.

bregent

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2020, 03:14:31 PM »

For some reason, it actually seems smokier than any of my past pellet grills throughout the entire temperature range. I was really shocked at the amount of smoke I tasted on the pizza. However, I was using different pellets than I've ever used before and it was kind of a damp cold all weekend weather wise.

Thanks. I was wondering because most pellet grills have a drip pan that the smoke needs to go around and then doesn't have much chance of settling on the food before going out the exhaust. With the flavorizors, I would think the smoke has a better chance of surrounded the meat.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up