Pages:
Actions
  • #91 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Feb 2020
  • I am going to plan to get to the Ace hardware store this weekend and see if they have one of these on display yet.
  • #92 by Goosehunter51 on 14 Feb 2020
  • Very interested in the cleaning and your thoughts.
  • #93 by Goosehunter51 on 14 Feb 2020
  • Bar-B-Lew, I plan on hitting Lowe’s, Home Depot and True Value today to see if they have any.  I want to get my eyes on one.
  • #94 by glitchy on 14 Feb 2020
  • Glichy - I have seen some comments, including yours, about the hopper design.  Kind of like the Memphis if I understand correctly (long and narrow), so wondering how it will fare with a low and slow, long cook. 

First, hope you are recovering well from surgery. In my experience, the narrow hoppers usually do better on long cooks as bridging seems to happen less. I will probably know more this weekend as I picked up a Prime packer at Costco last night. It seems outrageously high at $3.99/lb, but haven't had one for a while and want a nice long cook on the new pit.
  • #95 by okie smokie on 14 Feb 2020
  • Glichy - I have seen some comments, including yours, about the hopper design.  Kind of like the Memphis if I understand correctly (long and narrow), so wondering how it will fare with a low and slow, long cook. 

I also get GH51's comments on his MAK.  I have the 2 Star as well, and even with the new Pellet Boss, the new Flamezone and their grill grates, I have wished for higher searing temps and also being able to get to that high heat faster than the 40 minutes it takes on the MAK.  Plus the need to remove grates, Flamezone top, Flamezone inner "funnel" and deflector to get to the firepot to clean it out.  I cannot cook on the MAK right now due to major shoulder surgery, which restricts me to one arm cooking mostly (cannot move my right arm from its sling and no lifting over 5 lbs).  Stuck with that situation until April.  So, only able to use my gasser right now.
    Welcome to the rotator cuff recovery program! (You might have something different) Had mine done 4 months ago and still in rehab. But getting there.  Have a good recovery. 
  • #96 by pbison on 14 Feb 2020
  • Thanks for the updates.  Certainly looks to be a great performer, but I'm still disappointed that it isn't built with stainless steel internals like the Weber gassers.  Perhaps in a future model.  But I may be more disappointed I had no clue this was coming when I bought my grill 6 months ago.  ;)

With that kind of performance and Weber's distribution channels and name recognition I don't think there's any doubt this is going to be one of the most popular pellet grills on the market.  Should be worthy of its own section here. 
  • #97 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Feb 2020

• With that kind of performance and Weber's distribution channels and name recognition I don't think there's any doubt this is going to be one of the most popular pellet grills on the market.   

I said that almost 10 years ago that if they got into the market Traeger and some of the smaller manufacturers were going to be in trouble.  I'm guessing it took them to see some impact on slower or lower sales in their other grill lines to realize that pellet grills were sticking around and they had to get involved.  Sounds like they nailed the engineering aspect of the grill's performance and they now need to higher some app designers to get that to be tops in the industry.  Maybe they should hire someone from Anova to design their app.
  • #98 by okie smokie on 14 Feb 2020

• With that kind of performance and Weber's distribution channels and name recognition I don't think there's any doubt this is going to be one of the most popular pellet grills on the market.   

I said that almost 10 years ago that if they got into the market Traeger and some of the smaller manufacturers were going to be in trouble.  I'm guessing it took them to see some impact on slower or lower sales in their other grill lines to realize that pellet grills were sticking around and they had to get involved.  Sounds like they nailed the engineering aspect of the grill's performance and they now need to higher some app designers to get that to be tops in the industry.  Maybe they should hire someone from Anova to design their app.

The RT app is good IMO. Easy to use and works at home or away.  You need a decent WiFI to do the job well.  I have a booster that works well, since my router is at the other end of the house.
  • #99 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Feb 2020

The RT app is good IMO. Easy to use and works at home or away.  You need a decent WiFI to do the job well.  I have a booster that works well, since my router is at the other end of the house.

That is where a mesh wireless network outperforms regular wifi routers if you didn't know that already.  They are easy to setup and several wifi providers now offer them too.
  • #100 by pbison on 14 Feb 2020
  • The RT app is good IMO. Easy to use and works at home or away.  You need a decent WiFI to do the job well.  I have a booster that works well, since my router is at the other end of the house.

The alarms in my RT app have never worked.  Judging from what I've seen on the RT forum, this appears to be the case with about 75% of posters there and RecTec just says a fix is "coming soon" for several months now.   

Hopefully Weber does better. 
  • #101 by Goosehunter51 on 14 Feb 2020
  • Went by Lowes. no grills out yet.  They had 2 in the back and they were getting a presentation area ready for tomorrow.  Nothing at Home Depot.
  • #102 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Feb 2020
  • Ace didn't have them either.  Doesn't look like they are ready to change over to their Spring display set yet.  I'm guessing at least another month or so before they are certain winter is over.
  • #103 by Goosehunter51 on 14 Feb 2020
  • Just ordered the EX6, will have it next Friday.
  • #104 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Feb 2020
  • Just ordered the EX6, will have it next Friday.

Are you keeping the MAK?
  • #105 by glitchy on 15 Feb 2020
  • Heard from a fairly reliable source they have accessories, specifically shelves in the works. They were just focused on the grill and pellets first. There are threaded inserts down by the casters, I’m guessing for a bottom shelf already. The side shelf is bigger than it looks too.
Pages:
Actions