Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beef Ribs  (Read 2480 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Beef Ribs
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 12:52:54 PM »

I sous vide cooked beef ribs at 135°F for three days, then fast chilled them in ice water, put them into the refrigerator.  I later smoked them at 225°F for 1:45 until the IT was ~130°F

FWIW, I recently did  boneless short ribs exactly in the same manor and they came out perfect. All of the fat was trimmed prior to sous vide.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 02:54:08 PM »

Cooking meat to a higher IT after sous vide will not make the meat tough will it?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 03:10:34 PM »

Cooking meat to a higher IT after sous vide will not make the meat tough will it?

I suppose it would if the higher temperature dried it.  I guess that generates another question—does drying meat make it tough?  I think jerky is tough.  So I'd say, "Yes, it does."
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

hughver

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 03:37:10 PM »

I'm not sure about tougher, but I'm quite sure that it would diminish flavor.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 01:42:52 PM »

> It wasn't 170°F.  IDK where that number came from.
> I corrected my post to 130°F.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Hehe, I was scratching my head trying to figure out why you were doing it like that.

I think a lot of internal fat can be a problem. It's not going to render at 130F. I've had a few like that but most of the time for me, there's just a little bit, and it has the taste and texture of prime rib fat - nice in small amounts. Here's a pic of a typical rib after SV and prior to smoking

hughver

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 03:24:52 PM »

Bregent, you are correct, not a lot of fat is rendered at 130° but all of the tough connective tissue has been dissolved giving you tender medium rare ribs kissed with a touch of smoke.   :lick:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up