Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Affordable Replacement Meat Probe  (Read 2224 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Affordable Replacement Meat Probe
« on: February 02, 2020, 02:31:23 PM »

The replacement probe I found is, Danson P/N 50152. It's used in several of their pits and smokers such as the Louisiana Pellet Grill. Easy to find and inexpensive. More on that later.

It is not as robust as the Memphis probe. The wires are shorter at 40" vs 60", and no armor shielding.. The plug is configured 90º vs 180º. That's a major plus in that one must pull on the plug to remove it vs

the chance of pulling on the wires with the Memphis (the plug end is where my Memphis probe failed) and the 90º Danson plug is well sealed...The probe is OK with the wire to probe juncture crimped and not

sealed as on the Memphis. One must be careful not to submerge the probe while cleaning..Both probes read 1.089K Ohms @ 71º. A good test if you are sourcing or testing a probe.

The Test:  Ambient Air Test. Meat probe lying on wood that had been outside for days with only the wire end touching the wood. Thermapens A + B beside the probe. All 3 ends 1/4" apart. Slight breeze and no

sun. All 3 readings read 35º. Then I filled an insulated mug with hot water and immersed the meat probe and the 2 Thermapens into it. Again all the tips at the bottom within 1/4" of each other. The meat probe

was slow to react vs the T'pens. All readings were 123º and later cooled to 122º..I would have to conclude the probe was spot on, at least at par with the 2 Thermapens.

The probe cost me $12.95 US on Ebay. Direct from China in under 30 days. The # on the bag the probe came in is: SZ070310012956RK (Ebay#). There are probes on Amazon as well...Doing my research I

found most appeared to be the same and very well could be. Someone has to make them. If sourcing from China, make sure the plug/jack is "mono" (1 Insulating Ring), not "stereo" ( 2 Insulating Rings) that

Traeger uses, as the Chinese descriptions are questionable at times..Thermoworks makes some darn good meat probes (Pro Series). They fit and not work as they are Thermistor vs  RTD.

Cost wise I found varying prices for what appears to be the same probe...What I can't attest to is reliability, how long will it last. Time will tell. At 1/10 the cost of the Memphis probe, I'll chance it.

PS: Walmart also sells the Dansons 50152... The lowest Price I found after I had placed my order was $ 9.65/each for 2 on Ebay..

Sub Note: I cut a 2" X 2" piece of 16GA stainless to shield the probe wires. Placed on the cook grate under the wires at the edge. It shields the drip tray to main housing gap (drip tray outer perimeter)from the

high heat emerging from underneath that might harm the wires.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 02:47:54 PM by Canadian John »

Canadian John

Re: Affordable Replacement Meat Probe
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 12:01:03 PM »

Update - Pit Boss probe 67297 is the same probe as Dansons/Louisiana 50512 as listed above. They are PT1,000 (platinum 1,000 Ohm) RTD sensor..I know there are other probes that have the same makeup,

just need to find them.

If you have a probe and an ohmmeter, it would be nice to have a list of interchangeable probes..Simply check the resistance of the probe @ the jack using your ohmmeter. A PT1,000 will read 1,000 ohms @

32ºF/0ºC and about 1,080 ohms @ 70ºF. The resistance goes up w/ heat..There are other sensor types and jack/plug sizes too. Some have 1/4" jacks and PT100 RTD sensors..

This info could be helpful to someone that has access to brand "X" that will work when the brand in demand isn't available..

In the end, this information should be listed under Thermometers, Probes.etc in the Accessories and Essentials section for all to access more easily

It would be a good idea to ID your probe BEFORE it fails making a replacement easier.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 01:24:42 PM »

My Pitts and Spitts has a Roanoke controller and the meat probe is $30.  The controllers look identical to the LG/Dansons.  My pit didn't have one with it, so I can't test it for you.  I need to order one still.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Canadian John

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 03:40:22 PM »

My Pitts and Spitts has a Roanoke controller and the meat probe is $30.  The controllers look identical to the LG/Dansons.  My pit didn't have one with it, so I can't test it for you.  I need to order one still.
Either Dansons 50152 or Pit Boss 67297 will work in the Roanoke..I would go generic. Actually most are made by the same manufacturer in China. Source on Ebay, shipping included, no,tax and long delivery. Walmart also has them... Thanks for the come back.

Bennett

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 11:21:13 AM »

I just ordered the Pit Boss probe 67297 from amazon. I’m pretty sure it’s the generic one. 2 for $20. Hopefully they work. The Memphis probe is way too bulky for me and I never use it.

Canadian John

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 11:01:32 AM »

First off: WELCOME Bennett on your first post!   The probes should be just fine. The only two negatives are the generic probes don't have a reduced or stepped down tip diameter. That makes inserting the probe

a tad harder. Next is the wires. they aren't as robust as the armoured cable protector of the Memphis, meaning care must be taken not to damage them. With proper care these generic probes should be good

for some time... Given the price, if a probe lasts a season, you are still ahead... Make sure you let us know how they work and any comments you may have.

Don't forget to shield the cable from direct flame - the outer perimeter of the drip tray. A small piece of foil will do it.

Bennett

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 11:04:32 AM »

I’ll let you know how they work. I actually don’t like the armored cable.  It’s too hard to deal with. I like the idea of a thinner more manageable cable. I won’t take special care of these probes. If they fail I’ll be careful with the next batch.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 12:56:34 PM »

I finally got around to ordering a temp probe from Pitts & Spitts.  I tested it with my ohmmeter and sure enough it fell even with what Canadian John had tested, so it seems the P&S probe will work on a Memphis and Danson too.  It has the braided stainless shielding around it, if that is something you want and is 40 inches from where it comes out of the probe to where it goes into the plug for the jack.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Canadian John

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 02:36:02 PM »

Just noticed the Memphis Beale Street grill uses a run-of -the-mill basic meat probe as described above, priced @ $20. This is an affordable replacement/addition in my view, that should function in all Memphis grills.
Pages: [1]   Go Up