Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Poll

Did you get vaccinated against COVID-19?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: COVID-19 vaccine.  (Read 2110 times)

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
Re: COVID-19 vaccine.
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2022, 06:40:34 PM »

Just saw this today.
CDC recommends fourth Pfizer and Moderna Covid vaccine doses for people age 50 and older.
My wife and I will get our 4th on Monday
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2022, 12:17:34 PM »

After giving blood last week at the Red Cross, I found out my Blood was screened for Covid-19 anti-bodies. I had Covid in mid December. They told me this..."Reactive+ test result: Antibody levels were detected at levels high enough that your plasma may be used as convalescent plasma." 

I learned that convalescent plasma is used to/for..."Convalescent plasma therapy uses blood from people who've recovered from an illness to help others recover.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has given emergency authorization for convalescent plasma therapy with high antibody levels to treat COVID-19. It may be used for some hospitalized people ill with COVID-19 who are either early in their illness or who have weakened immune systems.

Blood donated by people who've recovered from COVID-19 has antibodies to the virus that causes it. The donated blood is processed to remove blood cells, leaving behind liquid (plasma) and antibodies. These can be given to people with COVID-19 to boost their ability to fight the virus.." 

It has been 11 months since my 2nd shot and 7 months since I had Covid and still my anti-bodies are high enough to pass along.  I think I will pass on the booster shot!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 12:21:29 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2022, 12:56:48 PM »

I have had both boosters and give blood every eight weeks or so and I have never had this done at the place we go to.  It isn't the Red Cross but it is a blood and tissue center (our local blood bank).  I haven't had the virus though thankfully.  So did you give plasma or did they just screen the regular donation?
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2022, 02:58:26 PM »

I gave what they call Power Red.  I started off many years ago giving whole blood.  Then, for about 15 years did apheresis.  They asked if I had the time to give this Power Red.  It may have been 90 minutes with paper work, but the draw was about 40 minutes.  I will let them explain it...

Power Red Donation
During a Power Red donation, you give a concentrated dose of red cells, the part of your blood used every day for those needing transfusions as part of their care. This type of donation uses an automated process that separates your red blood cells from the other blood components, and then safely and comfortably returns your plasma and platelets to you.

With just a little extra time at your appointment, you can donate more red cells and increase your impact on patients in need. Learn more about Power Red donations.
Who it helps: Red cells from a Power Red donation are typically given to trauma patients, newborns and emergency transfusions during birth, people with sickle cell anemia, and anyone suffering blood loss.

Time it takes: About 1.5 hours

Ideal blood types: O positive, O negative, A negative, and B negative
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2022, 03:25:13 PM »

I stopped donating because I ran into a spell where the people drawing didn't know what they were doing.
Put the needle in, didn't hit the vein, so they started twisting the needle sideways to find the vein and cut into it.
Extremely painful and left a huge black and blue mark.
I finally said no more.
Oh yeah, I was working at a hospital.  ???
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2022, 12:35:23 AM »

I feel your pain. When I give blood I tell them they have one chance to poke me. If they don't get it right the first time, I am out of there (and I will take a cookie with me)! Since I started telling them that I have not had an issue. Not sure if it is coincidence or not.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2022, 09:43:38 AM »

I gave what they call Power Red.  I started off many years ago giving whole blood.  Then, for about 15 years did apheresis.  They asked if I had the time to give this Power Red.  It may have been 90 minutes with paper work, but the draw was about 40 minutes.  I will let them explain it...

Power Red Donation
During a Power Red donation, you give a concentrated dose of red cells, the part of your blood used every day for those needing transfusions as part of their care. This type of donation uses an automated process that separates your red blood cells from the other blood components, and then safely and comfortably returns your plasma and platelets to you.

With just a little extra time at your appointment, you can donate more red cells and increase your impact on patients in need. Learn more about Power Red donations.
Who it helps: Red cells from a Power Red donation are typically given to trauma patients, newborns and emergency transfusions during birth, people with sickle cell anemia, and anyone suffering blood loss.

Time it takes: About 1.5 hours

Ideal blood types: O positive, O negative, A negative, and B negative

Thanks Bentley.  I'll show that to my wife since she is O positive.  I know they do apheresis at the blood bank, but I've never heard of a power red donation.  I had blood drawn at a doctor's appointment last week and they had a new girl, which had me worried.  Apparently it was not her first rodeo.  I watched her stick me and never felt it.  She didn't even leave a mark the next day.  I think that is the first time that has happened.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up