Accessories & Essentials > Knives, Sharpeners, Cutting Boards & Mats

Costco BBQ Knife Set

(1/3) > >>

Ross77:
Thoughts on this?  I don't know much about knives.

https://www.costco.com/.product.1327952.html

Canadian John:

You could probably start a butcher shop with that kit.

My thoughts:
would you store the knives in the case? Probably not.

The blade guards are a good thing.

Do you need the fork and does it appear you have a use for ALL the pieces? The fork could be used to lift food stuck on the grates as a lifter fitting en either side of a grate rod. Allin all the set appears to be a good universal set..

The UNKNOWNS are, how do they feel and what kind of quality are the materials, as in, how sharp are the blades? How long lasting are the cutting edges? And how easy are they to sharpen?

Knives are somewhat of a personal thing like a shoe, pellet grill, golf club etc. So guess what the answer may be?

If all feels and looks good, go for it being assured it's COSTCO - no quibble returns.  :2cents:

pmillen:
It's a great sampling of knife configurations.  That's a plus.
They appear to be forged blades.  That's a plus.

The fork is often used when carving, slicing and serving.

I'm not quite certain what the Japanese style knife is.  If the blade were squared off I'd say it's a Nakiri, a double-bevel, rectangular blade.  The name essentially translates to “vegetable knife,” and it’s great for that use and not so great for anything else.

The tip, however, makes it look like a Mukimono, a single bevel vegetable knife.  This tip style allows for a flat edge and a thin point.  It's used for vegetable peeling, and the tip works well for detailed work.

Ross77:
I appreciate the feedback.  My main concern is ease of sharpening.  It says it has an Asian style edge so I'm assuming I can't use the sharpener I sharpen my wife's cheap Wolfgang Puck knives with.....? 

It's hard to beat that price and Costco's return policy.

pmillen:
"Asian style edge."  IDK what else it could mean other than single bevel.  You can handle the sharpening but you'll probably need to buy three whetstones.  Actually, a $99 knife set may be the perfect set to learn to sharpen on.  The only things you need to make quality edges are the three decent whetstones, a simple technique that’s easy to repeat, a moderate grasp of the steps, and persistence.

EDIT:  Eversharp Knives, in Minneapolis, may offer sharpening supplies and classes.  They're, what, 15 miles from you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View