Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q450 Accu temp electronics, fuse, etc.  (Read 1432 times)

Glenn

• Lurker
Q450 Accu temp electronics, fuse, etc.
« on: May 22, 2020, 10:03:20 AM »

Q450 Accu temp electronics, fuse, etc.
Has anyone here replaced any of the Accu Temp electronic components.  I really can't tell how to get inside looking at the online manual. My display and subsequently the auger, the fan, etc., don't work.  The grill is useless at the moment.  I know it's getting electricity at the unit itself.  Thanks for any help.

Is there some way to get parts now that Firecraft is no more?  Love the grill & it's only 3 years old.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Q450 Accu temp electronics, fuse, etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 12:52:01 PM »

You may wish to PM Mikro, two posts below yours. He may be able to help you. Baring that I am sure others may chime in. And of course, WELCOME to pellet Fan.

jgrayson

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 01:24:42 PM »

Hi Glenn,

I feel your pain.  Now that FireCraft is out of business it has become difficult to find exact fit parts.  We (myself and others here on PelletFan) have found some replacement parts from other manufacturers that have kept our FireCraft pits running.

Controller - The one in my pit stopped working some time ago.  Another member of PelletFan suggested trying one from RecTec.  I ordered the WiFi controller from RecTec and found the replacement to be fairly straightforward.  Remove two screws on the left side of the pellet hopper and the back of the controller and the wired connectors will be visible.  The controller is attached using two sets of nuts & bolts.  The original FireCraft controller and the new RecTec controller were well labeled so it was easy to see where each connector goes (and the connectors were the same).  The new RecTec controller is not as wide as the FireCraft controller, so I used one of the sets of nuts & bolts to attach the new controller.  Then I held a small block of wood on the opposite side and used two screws (one through the controller face screw hole and the other through the hole in the body of the pit) to hold that side of the controller in position.  It's been running like this for about 18 months now.

Igniter - I recently had this part fail.  Another member of PelletFan suggested that one from Englander would work so I bought one from them.  I installed it about a week ago and you should be able to find a detailed description of that repair in the list of posts.

Let us know if you have other questions about the controller. 
Have fun, John Yoder YS640S; Oklahoma Joes The Judge Charcoal Grill

Glenn

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 01:42:38 PM »

Hi JGrayson,

Thanks so much for your response.  Perhaps my Q450 is a bit newer than yours?  But, the two screws you mention to get to the controller on my unit are hex screws and they just turn & turn but don't let me get at the controller.  They don't come out.  So I started to unbolt the entire hopper to get at the electronics.  I'm eating a sandwich to give myself some protein & courage before I continue!     ::)  I'm hoping I don't end up with the grill in pieces all over my backyard.   I'll let you know how it goes & thanks again for your gracious response. 

-Glenn

Mikro

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 02:37:53 PM »

To access the inside see photo. If screws are not coming out and only turning then they are stripped.
 Place a thin blade behind the head and slowly pry as you turn the screw. Most times you will find good threads and it will come on out.
mk
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:14:37 PM by Mikro »
Firecraft Q450
RecTec 590/Stampede
HomeBrew Upright/Vertical Pellet smoker

W6YJ

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 02:42:03 PM »

Glenn,

My Q-450 was purchased in 2018 and it has a Roanoke Controls PID controller. I don't know if it is physically the same as your Accu-Temp unit.

If it is, and your present controller has fully failed, you might want to look at the Louisiana Grills Digital Control Center as it is also a Roanoke controller as it would (should?) be a drop in replacement.

Caveat emptor, in looking around today, it also looks like here are a bunch of low cost Chinese knockoffs being sold.

Louisiana Grills sells them for $150.

Glenn

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 05:02:40 PM »

To access the inside see photo. If screws are not coming out and only turning then they are stripped.
 Place a thin blade behind the head and slowly pry as you turn the screw. Most times you will find good threads and it will come on out.
mk

Thanks Mikro,

Wish I'd seen your pic before I removed the hopper to get at the controller.  Anyway I succeeded in getting to the controller the hard way.  The fuse was burned.  I replaced it and the control panel came back to life (display working), fan & auger all functioning.  I put it back together and should have checked the 'heating element' first because it's cold and not igniting the pellets.  Guess I have to replace that now.  :o I saw some pics here somewhere on how to do that. Hopefully I can get parts.  My wife is unhappy, she wanted to cook on the grill this evening. Thanks again.

-Glenn

Mikro

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 05:27:41 PM »

mk

Thanks Mikro,

Wish I'd seen your pic before I removed the hopper to get at the controller.  Anyway I succeeded in getting to the controller the hard way.  The fuse was burned.  I replaced it and the control panel came back to life (display working), fan & auger all functioning.  I put it back together and should have checked the 'heating element' first because it's cold and not igniting the pellets.  Guess I have to replace that now.  :o I saw some pics here somewhere on how to do that. Hopefully I can get parts.  My wife is unhappy, she wanted to cook on the grill this evening. Thanks again.

-Glenn

No problem, I have had mine apart in many ways so I am familiar with it. I also bought one for my Son-in-law. So far his is doing fine but he uses it very little. LOL!!
mk
Firecraft Q450
RecTec 590/Stampede
HomeBrew Upright/Vertical Pellet smoker
Pages: [1]   Go Up