Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by reubenray on 16 Jun 2020
  • I looked at these today at Lowes's and I liked what I saw.  It was the Rider DLX model.  It was a third cheaper than the Weber Pellet Smoker.  The initial build felt better than the Weber.  I especially liked the height of it where I can put a rotisserie in it.  It also has more shelves that my GMG.

Hopefully there will be some reviews coming out about it.

• #2 by okie smokie on 16 Jun 2020
  • I have checked it over a couple of times.  You get a lot of bang for the buck.  I have no knowledge of performance. Will surf the net for some info.
  • #3 by okie smokie on 16 Jun 2020
  • #4 by reubenray on 17 Jun 2020
  • Thanks for the video.  I did not like the comment he made that he smokes on the upper grate being the bottom one gets to hot.  What is the purpose of having all of that space in a smoker and not use it.
  • #5 by Bentley on 17 Jun 2020
  • Yes, the difference between a "review" and some good old objective data testing!
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 17 Jun 2020
  • I was wondering how familiar he is with pellet cookers. The beginning didn't give me hope when he said you don't want to cook with old wet moldy pellets.
  • #7 by okie smokie on 17 Jun 2020
  • Thanks for the video.  I did not like the comment he made that he smokes on the upper grate being the bottom one gets to hot.  What is the purpose of having all of that space in a smoker and not use it.
    I get the impression that the bottom grate is being used for "grilling".  However, I agree with you. He should be able to adjust the pit to get the lower temps on the lower grates as well. i.e. be sure the drip pan is in the closed position etc. 
  • #8 by BigDave83 on 17 Jun 2020
  • Well he was just running it towards 500 then turns it down, it hasn't cooled off all that much and he is putting the ribs on op because they burn on the 500 degree bottom grates. At 1.5 hours the ribs looked cook with more pull back than I think i see when I cook at 275, maybe I just never paid that much attention to mine.
  • #9 by W6YJ on 17 Jun 2020
  • I'm not a rib person (I  know, I am in a small minority), but why would anyone want to cook ribs that fast / quickly?
    It might be cooked, but there wouldn't be time for connective tissue and fat to break down.
  • #10 by Canadian John on 18 Jun 2020

•  I couldn't watch all of the video. For some reason I found the guy hard to listen to. He didn't come across as knowing what he was talking about. Kept dwelling on the most simple of all subjects.
  • #11 by reubenray on 18 Jun 2020

•  I couldn't watch all of the video. For some reason I found the guy hard to listen to. He didn't come across as knowing what he was talking about. Kept dwelling on the most simple of all subjects.

I had to turn on CC to know what he was saying.  He made one comment that he liked to run it hot first to sanitize the grates from the previous cook.
  • #12 by pmillen on 18 Jun 2020
  • Yeah, if he feels that he needs a burn-off, he might give some thought to doing it immediately after the previous cook.

If he had an exotic calculator he wouldn't automatically be a knowledgeable mathematician.  Just because has a pellet pit and video camera...
  • #13 by okie smokie on 18 Jun 2020
  • Well he was just running it towards 500 then turns it down, it hasn't cooled off all that much and he is putting the ribs on op because they burn on the 500 degree bottom grates. At 1.5 hours the ribs looked cook with more pull back than I think i see when I cook at 275, maybe I just never paid that much attention to mine.
    Well I think he is making a mistake taking it up to 500 first.  My 590 RT takes 30 minutes to cool down to 225 from 500. I think his ribs are getting high temp for longer than he thinks.  When you reduce a PID (or any digital) control from 500 to 225* it does not shut down the pellet feed until the lower temp is reached (you would get a flame out before reaching the lower temp) so you are adding pellets at a lower rate, but still adding to a hot pit. It just takes longer to lower to the new target.  If you open the lid to dissipate the heat faster, it helps but still takes a while.  I think he should set for 225, and then see what the center grate temp is at that setting.  If too high then it is a RTD adjustment (if available on that pit).  Or adjust the control temp to give him the grate temp desired. 
    I found out that it does not pay to sear first on my RT and then slow cook because of the delay changing to the lower temp. If I am going to do that, I do the low slow first then sear at the end. (heats up faster than it cools down). ?
  • #14 by okie smokie on 18 Jun 2020
  • PS.  I noted that he turns it up to 500 to burn off the remains of the last cook.  He should do that at the end of the cook, so that he is ready to go at the next cook. IMHO That would allow him to set it for low slow next time and use the lower grates it was designed for. Nicht var?
  • #15 by rdsbucks on 18 Jun 2020
  • I would not buy it. You go to the OJ's website and it has some horrible reviews. It also has some great reviews. There are 55 5-star reviews. But there are 27 1-star reviews. Poor build quality, bad materials, and an often jammed auger.
Pages:
Actions