Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SV then Smoke BB ribs.  (Read 2205 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
SV then Smoke BB ribs.
« on: March 27, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »

I found a rack of BB ribs that we won at a meat raffle in the freezer, tossed in the fridge to thaw.
Cut in half kind of and sealed up.
Into the water at 140/26.
A quick shock in some cold water and then rubbed and put in the Davey Crockett at 150°.
Bumped temp to 220 after about 1.5 hours and put sauce on for the last 30 minutes.
Not to bad only the second time doing them SV I may try a bit higher temp next time, these were very tender and came off the bone fairly clean, still a little on the pink side, and the GF isn't big on that but she did like these. She did say they were not hot temp wise, so I may just go from water to the smoker next time.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 06:22:01 PM by BigDave83 »

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: SV then Smoke BB ribs.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 09:06:38 AM »

Nice pics. And nice looking ribs.  What was the total cook time?

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 02:41:33 PM »

I put them in at 140° for about 26 hours and then smoked for 2 hours.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 03:04:02 PM »

Thanks for the post, I've been contemplating doing SV ribs.  If the smoke flavor was good, they were fall off the bone and you want less red/pink, you might try shortening the SV time and increase the temperature to ~155°. Just curious, why did you cool them first?
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 08:22:46 AM »

so they could stay in the smoker longer and not go over temp.

hughver

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »

I typically smoke before SV so the meat is already cold. Having never done SV ribs, I may have to reconsider my approach. I'm a little surprised that they were fall-off-the-bone at 26 hours but it's a good data point for my first attempt. My first thought was to smoke, SV and then glaze at 300-350° for 15-20 minutes. Here is a site that has a detailed procedure for ribs, very similar to yours except shorter time in the grill. https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-pork-ribs.html
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 04:50:46 PM »

Most of the bones were cleaned with just the bite, it was not pick up a bone and that is all you have is a bone. That is over cooked in my opinion and at that point I should have saved money and done pork butt.

I have tried smoking before and after SV and prefer after, I think I lose some of the smoke profile with the long cook, the smoke will escape through the pores in the bag, I have seen this several times with smoking first and having a smoke odor when I take the lid off of the SV cooker it is in the water.

I don't SV that much, should do more, but I do like to play around with it and try things. 

hughver

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 08:22:06 PM »

the smoke will escape through the pores in the bag

I've only seen this phenomena several time since I've been SV'ing, four+ years. I cooked two smoked chuck roast simultaneously earlier this week in two different containers, one had the smoke odor with some coloring of the water and the other did not, same temperature, same bags, same vacuum sealer. I'm guessing that it's the seal rather than the bag.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 09:30:37 AM »

I have tried smoking before and after SV and prefer after...

I also prefer to smoke after SVing. 

Smoke flavor may penetrate the meat more if you smoke and then SV (it's hard to be certain) but I still like smoking afterward better.

It's partly because I don't like to SV rubs.  What spices do when SVed mystifies me.  Some seem to disappear and others seem to get stronger.  So I SV the ribs, rapidly chill them and then rub and smoke them.  It's more predictable.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1]   Go Up