Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by glitchy on 08 Jul 2020
  • Quick update. I cooked the previous mentioned burn in and 2 cooks on Friday. Sunday evening, I grilled up some Tilapia at 350, Monday I cooked some turkey tenderloins at 275, and last night I reverse seared a ribeye and a couple strips, 20 minutes on smoke boost, then 215 to 115 IT, pulled and covered while grill heated to 525, then seared. Gill has worked flawlessly so far and there's still a couple pounds of pellets left in the hopper from the first bag.
  • #17 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Jul 2020
  • Have you tried to intentionally repeat all of the problems you had with your prior SmokeFire?  I am curious to see if you feel they all have been fixed yet with this version you currently have.  This thread has had great information.
  • #18 by lil moose on 08 Jul 2020
  • Have you tried to intentionally repeat all of the problems you had with your prior SmokeFire?  I am curious to see if you feel they all have been fixed yet with this version you currently have.  This thread has had great information.
    Yes that would be a good thing to post  ;)
  • #19 by Bentley on 08 Jul 2020
  • Seems to me they just took the features of an PG500 and put it in their unit.
  • #20 by glitchy on 08 Jul 2020
  • The only problem I had with the first SmokeFire was Pellet Feed issues and one time it didn't want to come up to full temp. With the new insert, removing the finger guard and lubing the ramp, I have not seen any feed problems yet. So far, it has always gotten to temp as well, but that's a problem that was developing after more use and should have a fix with the updated auger assembly that they will not give me until I have the problem. 

The first time around I could also see the potential for the grease fires as my drain holes had been clogged shut a couple times cooking without pans and I wasn't thrilled with the about face from Weber on needing drip pans. As well as the silence about resolutions to the issues. It wasn't that I disliked the grill, I was concerned with being stuck with a paperweight if they gave up on it rather than fixing issues.

Now, my situation has changed and this grill has an entirely different purpose in my arsenal as a gas grill replacement versus a Low N Slow pellet grill. I know and accept it's limitations with grease management and if down the road I decide to use it versus the camp chef for butts, brisket, chuck roast, etc. I will use drip pans. However, for now, I'm keeping the Woodwind around for that. So far, the SmokeFire is doing stellar at what I want it for.
  • #21 by glitchy on 08 Jul 2020
  • Seems to me they just took the features of an PG500 and put it in their unit.

To some degree, I agree. That's probably why I've always thought a PG500 would be nice. I just feel like the zones would be limited in space and CookShack doesn't seem to be updating to keep up (like a WiFi controller). Biggest difference would be that you only have one zone with the SmokeFire.
  • #22 by glitchy on 05 Aug 2020
  • So, I’ve been rolling with the SmokeFire over a month now. The poor Camp Chef has burned once since. I’m using this thing multiple times a week cooking a little of everything across the temp range. It kicks some tail at reverse seared steaks. I got their new Wet Smoke Kit and did a 17 hour butt on Sunday with a serious bark. So far (knock on wood) not a single issue. Here’s a few of the cooks on it.
  • #23 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Aug 2020
  • what is the wet smoke kit
  • #24 by glitchy on 05 Aug 2020
  • what is the wet smoke kit

Just a little rack to hold a 9x13 drip pan under the grates.
  • #25 by BigDave83 on 06 Aug 2020
  • Looks great. Glad it is working out for you and great that you have given it a second chance. There is a youtube guy Trendkill BBQ I think his name is. He had one and sent it back and worked with it and then sent it back. He has since bought another one and built it in and seems to really love it.

Here is a link to his channel. I like that he seems like just a normal guy his speak may be a little rough for some at times but, in general to me a guy I would like to sit down and have a beer with if I still drank.

I hope it is allowed here.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCux5WwCUWhR-qgBPUl8ZssA

• #26 by glitchy on 06 Aug 2020
  • BigDave, too funny I just watched this video yesterday. What he stated was pretty much my thought process in buying the SmokeFire again. I had a gasser that I rarely used (because of the lack of flavor) and a stick burner I had only used once, so I sold them both and bought another SmokeFire solely expecting it to be the replacement for the gas grill. The SmokeFire really works well for grilling in the 350-600 degree range. I would put it equal to or above the Memphis for that ability. It is a great video for anyone still curious about the SmokeFire to watch. His grilling shack is pretty cool.
  • #27 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Aug 2020
  • Hmm...maybe I should look into a little one and just use my other pellet grills for jerky and low smoke cooks.
Pages:
Actions