Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prime Rib and Bacon wrapped Dried Plums  (Read 618 times)

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
Prime Rib and Bacon wrapped Dried Plums
« on: March 18, 2018, 10:47:16 PM »

Have my In-laws at the house this week.  Planned on smoking a PR for dinner.  I asked the butcher at my supermarket for a 8-10# roast, and to cut the bones from the roast, but to give me the bones.  He did a great job cutting the bones off , and leaving a lot of meat on those ribs.  This was shaping up to be a great cook.   

My FIL asked me to pick him up some dried plums at the supermarket today.  I picked up a container of dried plums, but it was not what he was looking for.  My wife said what are we going to do with a whole container of dried plums?  After thinking for about 30 seconds, I said I would wrap the plumbs with bacon and put on the smoker with the PR. 

I put the plums in some warm water for a few minutes to see if they would re-constitute a little bit.  Not sure if it worked too much, but oh well.  I then dredged the plums in brown sugar, and wrapped them with a half slice of bacon.  After securing with a toothpick, I sprinkled some of my favorite rib rub on them and put in the fridge while preparing everything else. 

Once the pit settled at 225*, I put the PR roast and the rib bones on the pit.  After the PR and ribs were smoking for 1.5 hours, I put the bacon wrapped plums on the pit as well.  I let the plums go about another hour, then I took them off, brushed with a little Dinasaur Sensuous Slathering BBQ Sauce and put them on my gasser, in-direct heat (450*) for about 3 minutes to heat and set the sauce.  I had to use the gasser since the PR was still working on the pit, and the plums were serving as an appetizer.  They came out great.  Good salty and sweet combination from the bacon and brown sugar/ concentrated plum.  Everyone loved them, just needed to make more.

When I pulled the plums off the pit, I increased the temp up to 250* and continued to smoke the PR and ribs until internal temp was 131*.  Pulled the roast off, loosely tented the PR for about 30 minutes, then sliced to order.  Ribs stayed on about 30 minutes longer.  Once again the PR was a big hit which everyone loved.  PR is still one of my favorites on the pellet smoker.  Did not try the ribs yet, those will be hit tomorrow. 

All in all a great dinner.  Paired the PR with riced broccoli and cauliflower tossed with a little pesto sauce and a grilled portabella mushroom (brushed with evoo, vanilla, chopped garlic and seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning).  Sliced and sprinkled with grated parm cheese.  Sorry no pics of the sides.

Not sure what is better for the ego, tasting the fantastic food coming off the pit, or everyone equally loving the food as much as I do. 

Bacon Wrapped Plums
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Prime Rib and Rib Bones rubbed and ready for the cooker
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

PR pulled from the pit at 131* waiting to be sliced
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Rib Bones
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

PR Slice at a perfect medium rare
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
Re: Prime Rib and Bacon wrapped Dried Plums
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:26:32 AM »

That looks delicious!

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:34:06 AM »

That looks delicious!
Indeed it does. Great looking.

Ralphie

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 10:28:33 AM »

Looks fantastic!  I may have to try the plum recipe.  Or something similar, figs maybe.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 12:08:18 PM »

Looks fantastic!  I may have to try the plum recipe.  Or something similar, figs maybe.

I have seen folks on here use the figs, that is what got me thinking.  Since I did not have figs, and I had a whole container of plums, why not.  I am thinking if I used figs or dates, I would not use the brown sugar, they might be sweet enough. 

dk117

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 12:58:07 PM »

+1 dates, no need for brown sugar.  So simple.  Fantastic every time. 

DK

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 01:27:20 PM »

I saw a Martha Stewart recipe where she put Stilton inside the date and then wrapped in bacon.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:27:44 PM by Kristin Meredith »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 02:32:17 PM »

A Devil's on Horseback kind of thing!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 02:56:24 PM »

Marvelous

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 06:24:06 PM »

They look awesome!  Something I need to try. Dried plums (aka prunes) or did you mean dates?  Dried plums are great outta the bag, they ain't called prunes so the younger generation can dig it.  Dried dates in a bag are a great snack and I have seen them filled with blue cheese and wrapped in bacon and quickly sauteed in a pan.  OMG, they looked so good.  Sadly I can't afford $20 appetizers but yea that was the bomb.

Nice cook!
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up