Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pizza on a 2 Star  (Read 4241 times)

bhein

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Pizza on a 2 Star
« on: September 01, 2020, 11:48:37 AM »

Has anyone cooked a 16" premade pizza from Costco or Sam's on a MAK 2 Star. We've done them in both in our kitchen ovens but never on a pellet grill. I'm pretty sure the cooking directions are 15-17min. at 375F.

Any experience and/or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Bruce
MAK 2 Star, CornGlo 527, Country Smoker TG 300 Tailgator (dead and gone), 2002 Members Mark all SS gas grill Y0660LP (the beast)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Pizza on a 2 Star
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 12:39:07 PM »

Cook it the same as you would in the oven.  The only difference will be that you will have a slight smoke flavor.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

bhein

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 12:48:19 PM »

Thanks Bar-B-Lew.

I like the simple solutions.

Bruce
MAK 2 Star, CornGlo 527, Country Smoker TG 300 Tailgator (dead and gone), 2002 Members Mark all SS gas grill Y0660LP (the beast)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 01:36:39 PM »

Best to have a pizza stone or pizza steel, but can be done without.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 01:58:58 PM »

I do Papa Murphy's on my RT590 at 400* on my aluminum 16" (perforated) pan.  It takes 18 to 20 minutes almost every time.  I get nice browned edges, and some browning on bottom of the crust. Either thin or regular crust. Prefer the regular crust, as the thin is too thin for me. Pizza comes with a thin cardboard under it and you leave that on when cooking. I tried a Costco pizza last year and it was good also, (had too much pepperoni, which I thinned out). Seems to cook better on the smoker, than in oven but don't know why.

bhein

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 02:08:01 PM »

Unfortunately I don't have a stone for this cook.

I do Papa Murphy's on my RT590 at 400* on my aluminum 16" (perforated) pan.  It takes 18 to 20 minutes almost every time.  I get nice browned edges, and some browning on bottom of the crust. Either thin or regular crust. Prefer the regular crust, as the thin is too thin for me. Pizza comes with a thin cardboard under it and you leave that on when cooking. I tried a Costco pizza last year and it was good also, (had too much pepperoni, which I thinned out). Seems to cook better on the smoker, than in oven but don't know why.
Did you follow the direction on the Papa Murphy's package? At least on this first pizza cook, I'll probably follow them.

Thanks for both of your comments.
Bruce

TravlinMan

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 04:02:33 PM »

Have cooked 'store bought' pizza on the Memphis or LG (brand doesn't matter) many times - comes out wonderful every time.

I put mine directly on the grates, and let the grill warm up 'before' putting the pizza on.

Just cook in the middle and not near an edge, follow the recommended cooking temp and times..

During these hot days, it keeps the heat from the oven out of the house and the Air Conditioner doesn't have to over work to compensate.

:clap:......... :bbq:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 04:04:53 PM by TravlinMan »
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 05:49:12 PM »

Unfortunately I don't have a stone for this cook.

Did you follow the direction on the Papa Murphy's package? At least on this first pizza cook, I'll probably follow them.

Thanks for both of your comments.
Bruce
Yes I did. +-.  I think they said 18 min on the last one. But I found 20 min. gave better crust.  Pays to inspect before pulling the pie.  I had brown spots, but no black spots underneath. 
Whoops! Error!  I should have written 425* for oven temp.  Also, that was for 16 inch reg. crust.  Sorry. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 05:52:50 PM by okie smokie »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 06:56:18 PM »

Let us know how it turns out for you.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

bhein

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 07:49:50 AM »

I followed the directions, 375F for 15min, and added 2-3 more min to give the crust a lt. brown crisper finish. Overall, great taste with a slight smokey background.

BTW, no stone used, just laid the pie on the grates.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Bruce

zephyr

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 10:30:30 PM »

Old Pics

[ Invalid Attachment ]

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 10:41:29 PM by zephyr »
><> Titus 3:2-7 <><           [M2SG]  [UDS] [36X19 Phantom Downdraft]   [Karubecue C-60 Downdraft]

zephyr

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 10:40:46 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Stainless plate, then the stone
><> Titus 3:2-7 <><           [M2SG]  [UDS] [36X19 Phantom Downdraft]   [Karubecue C-60 Downdraft]
Pages: [1]   Go Up