Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Louisiana LG Founder Legacy Grill  (Read 2087 times)

K5_Guy

• Lurker
Louisiana LG Founder Legacy Grill
« on: September 15, 2020, 02:15:46 PM »

Anyone have any Experience with the Founder Legacy Series?   There are a lot of things that intrigue me on this pit.  Been looking at so many and I'm having trouble pulling the trigger.  I've looked at Camp Chef Woodwind w/ sear box, Pitts and Spitts Maverick, Blazen, Gator pits.  The potential ease of use for the sear station on the Louisiana, plus the double wall stainless construction seems like a real plus.

Thanks in advance!

https://louisiana-grills.com/shop/grills/founders-legacy-1200-pellet-grill

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Louisiana LG Founder Legacy Grill
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 04:56:58 PM »

• I believe that almost any pellet grill is better than a gas grill.
  • That Louisiana Founder Legacy is a serious pit.  I suspect that almost any of us would be pleased with it.
  • It appears that searing first and then smoking is easily accomplished on it.  I'm not a fan of reverse searing.  I get a more controllable sear (better sear) when searing raw meat as opposed to cooked meat.  When I’m trying to reach a specific IT for serving, it’s much easier for me to do that by searing first and then finishing the steak with indirect heat.  Additionally, I suspect that searing after smoking burns off much of the smoke flavor that is only on the meats surface.  I think reverse searing became popular because most grills and pits can't cool down for indirect temperature cooking so the users were forced to cook first and then sear.  Then the concept was sold to users as a better way to cook.

Go for it.  Cook some, share the recipes and show us some photographs.  I'd like to see if ash and pellet dust get blown into the cooking area.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 05:17:57 PM »

Looks like a very nice pit.
Link says out of stock. Dealer may have one though...
My concern ( if you scroll down the page from the link you posted)
There is a dozen people complaining about LG not answering their questions.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

K5_Guy

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 07:11:37 PM »

Looks like a very nice pit.
Link says out of stock. Dealer may have one though...
My concern ( if you scroll down the page from the link you posted)
There is a dozen people complaining about LG not answering their questions.

Yes, I have a bit of concern with that as well.  A phone call will likely be in order, but I like the package as I really want a simple sear station, hence the look at the woodwind with the gas fired sidekick.

Thinking grill grates may be a positive upgrade on this bad boy instead of the griddle. 

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:26:35 PM »

Yes, I have a bit of concern with that as well.  A phone call will likely be in order, but I like the package as I really want a simple sear station, hence the look at the woodwind with the gas fired sidekick.

Thinking grill grates may be a positive upgrade on this bad boy instead of the griddle.

I was looking for a manual to download, but couldn't find one.
I would hope that a grate comes with it to replace the griddle.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

TravlinMan

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 09:15:03 PM »

Danson has finally stepped up their game..

These units are seriously updated/upgraded.

Will be interested to see them in action... :clap:
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

K5_Guy

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 05:44:27 PM »

Got a call back from customer support and they said is is scheduled for fall release, but to look for it heading into the holidays.  Guess we will see.  I'm thinking this will be worth the wait, since my ancient lil Texas elite is still running.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 06:34:26 PM »

Got a call back from customer support and they said is is scheduled for fall release, but to look for it heading into the holidays.  Guess we will see.  I'm thinking this will be worth the wait, since my ancient lil Texas elite is still running.
Should have asked if they had a manual you could download or they could email to you.
Would be nice to look through before you buy.

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 05:00:43 PM »

Only downfall to this pit is, I don't see anywhere where there is a quick release/cleanout for ash. My next pit will have to have this so I don't have to dis assemble it to clean it out every time.
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 08:49:35 AM »

I have just got one of these beasts. I didn't mean to buy one - I originally intended to get a LG Founder Premier 800 to replace my old Traeger. But then I saw the Premier 1200 was "only" £300 more, and decided to plump for that to avoid later buyer's remorse.  :D

Then, unfortunately, there were problems getting it to me, which I will not go into to be fair to everyone. The bottom line was I was offered a Legacy 1200 instead, and jumped at it.

So I have had it since Tuesday, and only done one cook. So immediate impressions only.

• It is shiny.
• It is big and heavy. I went for the option of having it assembled pre-delivery and am glad I did.
• It is of double wall construction throughout (the Legacy, that is; the Premier is not), which should help save fuel.
• A friend commented you could get a suckling pig into it. Easily.
• Grates are all stainless steel, and nice and heavy. The lower grate is in 3 pieces, which makes it easier to handle - each about 21" deep, just under 13" wide.
• A cast iron griddle can replace one of the lower grates. I haven't used this yet, but it is probably going to be in the grill most of the time, cos I will still have enough grate space.
• There is a pellet release in the back to empty the hopper.

Some not so good things - don't take these as gospel yet; remember I've had this for less than a week. I will follow up and confirm.

• Hopper is advertised as holding 29lb. I filled it up with a 20lb bag of Lil Devils, and only used about three quarters of the bag. I'll repeat this later when I have time, and I will weight everything.
• Power lead is ridiculously short - if the socket isn't on the wall behind the grill, forget it.
• 13A plug is actually an adapter around an EU/US plug (not sure which). The adapter is easy to fit, and it fastens with screws, so is secure. Unfortunately this makes it too big to fit into most outdoor covered sockets.
• App. Oh, the app. If you want to check the grill temperature and/or probes (four probe sockets, two probes supplied with grill), it is fine. Everything is viewable on one page. But do anything else with your phone or tablet (or let it sleep) and the app has to restart again. Which means although you can assign target temps on the probes (presumably for a notification), they aren't saved when the app goes bye-bye. Also the literature talks of "recipes", which I thought would be like GMG's recipes. But no, it is just setting up multiple stages of different temps against time (not probe temp). And although the app has icons for this, they do nothing.

Lest you be disappointed by those "nay" points, let me reassure you that I love the grill. But it could be much better, especially the app.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 08:52:10 AM »

As for the manual, here it is.

https://www.manualslib.com/download/1864040/Louisiana-Grills-Founders-Series-Legacy-Series.html

But only 19 pages of the 200+ multi-language manual are in English, and it isn't that detailed.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 08:54:25 AM »

I was looking for a manual to download, but couldn't find one.
I would hope that a grate comes with it to replace the griddle.

It does. You get three lower grill grates (in the 1200; 2 in the 800). The griddle replaces one of these, but only if you want it to.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 11:21:39 AM »

If you go to YouTube and search on Louisiana Grills Founders Series Premier 1200 you'll find a number of overview videos.

I'd love to read Bentley's Performance Test of this beauty.  I may have to revise my list of the top pellet pits.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 03:49:29 PM »

I'm sure glad I don't need a new pit.  I agree with Paul that these might be at the top of someone's list now.  We have a dealer here in town so I may have to see one in person.  I too would like to see a performance test.  Chris?? Or at least some cool features and thoughts on them.  I trust the opinions of the folks on here more than Youtube.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000
Pages: [1]   Go Up