Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beans 2 ways we do'em.  (Read 681 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Beans 2 ways we do'em.
« on: September 23, 2020, 07:00:51 AM »

I am not a huge bean eater, I have gotten better with age as I remember growing up the only beans I would eat were in Campbells Vegetable soup, that was because I was to lazy to pick them out. Now a days I will make chili, and I used to make a huge cooker of beans for my customer appreciation days a work. They were the first thing gone usually, and I have found I really like fresh green or yellow beans. I am a simple cook as you will see.

For green beans I trim both end, why because that is the way my Mother did it, then I usually cut them in to smaller 1.5" pieces. I do sometimes leave them whole also. Since buying a larger Blackstone griddle I use it a lot of the time for meals or parts of meals. Chop some bacon and brown it off, remove to a pan, add the beans to the bacon juice and toss to coat cook for a few minutes until they are getting close to your doneness and add in some chopped onion.  A few minutes more and then put the bacon back in and finish up. For seasoning it is usually just SPG, as the folks I usually cook for have no taste for spices. I do sometimes sneak in Montreal Steak seasoning.  Pretty much it. Can just as easily be done in a skillet on the stove.

This method starts out as above cleaning and cutting or not cutting the beans. I put them in a mixing bowl and add some olive oil and some SPG, toss to coat. Put on a sheet pan and into the oven at 425° for probably 15 minutes? I never timed them sorry. Pretty much just roasting them, do them until they are the texture you are looking for.

Variations.
The griddle recipe works great using Corn fresh or frozen, have never tried doing any of this with canned. Also I use bagged coleslaw mix, usually the one with the carrots just subbing it for the beans. I will cut fresh cabbage but I am the only one hat will eat it if it is cut into larger pieces, that is why I used the shredded stuff. Brussel sprouts work well in place of the beans also, although I never add the onions when I do them.

For the roasting Brussel sprouts and asparagus pretty much can replace the beans. I do the Montreal Steak on the sprouts.

For the oven I use my Breville smart oven. It is a convection oven and it heats up and cooks much faster than the one in the stove. It will hold a 1/4 sheet pan and a 12" pizza. Nice size for 2 people.

Sorry I have no pictures, but the next time I do any of these I will snap a few and add them.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Beans 2 ways we do'em.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 10:04:01 AM »

Thanks for posting these.  They're both new to me and I've been around a long time.

I'll see if I can locate mama's fresh green bean recipe.  I recall bacon, vinegar and onions but have no idea of the process.  It was our staple (with raw-fried potatoes) for Walleye fish dinners at the lake cottage.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Beans 2 ways we do'em.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 11:27:00 AM »

Thanks for posting these.  They're both new to me and I've been around a long time.

I'll see if I can locate mama's fresh green bean recipe.  I recall bacon, vinegar and onions but have no idea of the process.  It was our staple (with raw-fried potatoes) for Walleye fish dinners at the lake cottage.

Bacon vinegar and onions, sound kind of like the dressing my Mother made for dandelion. It was not something I liked, was never a big vinegar person. Love pickles and things like that, just not the plain vinegar. I remember raw fried taters and she would make Smearcase, it was kind of like cottage cheese but a little thinner. We would put that over the taters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up