Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copperhead 7 Mods/upgrades.  (Read 1045 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Copperhead 7 Mods/upgrades.
« on: September 28, 2020, 01:52:10 PM »

While my controller was great most of the time, I didn't trust it to get to far away because of how I had seen it act in the past. I had bought this controller used quite a few years ago and figured why not swap them. I sent it back to Smoke Daddy who updated it and returned, it came with a new RTD when I bought it. I wanted to do the wheel upgrade, I had seen a gentleman on facebook do his like this it seemed easy enough, and I also found some small latches to put on as my door leaked top and bottom corners. Once I turned it on its side and started looking I could see places where smoke was escaping underneath, I had noticed it and thought is was coming from the drip tube but it had several smoke leaks as I saw. I had some black RTV I just put over them.
 I wanted to run the RTD wires down to the bottom but the panels are spot welded and riveted, and I suspect there are braces inside between the 2 walls, not sure if the oils would penetrate and cause issues with the wires so I just drilled a hole through the cabinet. Smoke Daddy had told me to try to put the RTD in the middle of the cooker. I was going to mount it with SS screws, but decided to clean the spot well with some acetone and use a bit of red RTV.

I used 3/4" flexible conduit, 1/2" would work but with 3/4 the plugs could be slid through it if needed. I didn't have the right size bit for the screws I had to mount the controller, that is why it is taped in. The local hardware store loved me over the weekend. I still need to get some sort of covering for the RTD wire.

The wheels are on with 1/4 course thread, I noticed they were kind of sloppy so I used 3/4" long with flat washers and applied some pipe sealant I had to kind of fill in the space in the threads, didn't want to use loctite in case I wanted to change them as I had thought of different ways of doing them as I was working on it. The other bolt is 1/4x1 with 1 1/2" diameter fender washers. The door latches I used #8x1/2 SS screws that fit the countersink in the latches. Had thought about buying a rivet nut tool but after reading about how easily the mandrels break on the smaller nuts I just used the screws.

Thinking about my next addition being a a rheostat to be able to run only the fan if I want to cold smoke and keep some air moving through. I see Smoke Daddy makes a convection fan for their vertical, I did a little searching to find parts to make one, but probably easier to buy one from them.

BigDave83

• South West PA
Re: Copperhead 7 Mods/upgrades.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 01:54:23 PM »

Sorry, not sure why my pics are sideways, if you click them they right themselves.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 02:01:28 PM »

LMK when I can drive mine out to your house, drop it off, and have you fix it up like that after you do the fan only mod. ;D
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 02:03:51 PM »

Didn't resize for me when I clicked on them.
Taken with cell phone I assume?
Try taking them in Landscape rather than Portrait. That may help.

What I do is copy the picture to my computer, use the Paint program and resized it (from 100% just to 99%) and saved it.
Then they post right.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 03:38:39 PM »

What I do is copy the picture to my computer, use the Paint program and resized it (from 100% just to 99%) and saved it.
Then they post right.

I resize and save to the computer as they are to large other wise. I think it is MS pic editor that I use.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 03:42:43 PM »

LMK when I can drive mine out to your house, drop it off, and have you fix it up like that after you do the fan only mod. ;D

It took me longer to talk myself in to finally doing it than it did to actually do it. I messed with it for a few days on and off. made several trips to the hardware store for things.

Th bad thing is it doesn't smoke like the PB controller, but then the temps don't move 50 to 100° in either direction at times either.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 05:18:41 PM »

Then they post right.

I resize and save to the computer as they are to large other wise. I think it is MS pic editor that I use.

Maybe do a 90 degree rotate in your Picture Editor???
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 09:21:09 AM »

Back to the smoker: I just love this kind of stuff. Sideways or not, good pics. Good write-up. 

I have been accused of being Mr Gadget so I know where you are coming from. Don't stop.

Pages: [1]   Go Up