Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Temperature probe  (Read 1790 times)

baumer64

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Temperature probe
« on: October 18, 2020, 03:41:52 PM »

My Firecraft is still working well except my food temperature probe has gone bad again.  Before they went out of business, I had to order a replacement.  A horrible flaw in these is that the end where the cable enters the probe is not sealed off and any moisture getting inside of there can make the probe fail.  After getting my second one, I've been very careful about not allowing moisture to get in but it's gone bad now. 

Anyone know where to find a replacement that will work with the original FC crontrol board? 

Unfortunately my Maverick wireless controls have given up the ghost as well so I'm order new probes to follow how my cook is going but I miss the FC probe working with the unit and the way it will turn down the unit when the set temp is reached.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Temperature probe
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 06:49:42 AM »

To function, the jack has to fit : diameter and # of contacts. I believe youre is 1/8" (3.5 MM) Dia/ single contact. Next is the sensor. Most are RTD.  If someone out there has a working Firecraft meat probe they can measure, that would be great. What to measure is the probes resistance; looking for a reading close to 1,000 Ohms.

I am almost certain the Dansons 50512 or Pit Boss 67297 = PB-R 1250 from China will fit. ~ $10. These are 3.5 MM jacks/ 1,000 Ohm rtd probes. I believe they are all made in the same place.

https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Boss-Grills-67297-Smokers-2/dp/B07DQCGF95https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Boss-Grills-67297-Smokers-2/dp/B07DQCGF95.

Hope this helps!

Canadian John

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 07:22:04 AM »

This lists resistance relative to temperature for a 1,000 Ohm RTD. You may find this interesting. Note 1,000 Ohms @ 32º F.

https://www.workaci.com/sites/default/files/additional_information/1k%20Resistance%20Chart.pdf.

baumer64

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 04:30:31 PM »

Thanks Canadian John!
I went ahead and ordered the Pit Boss ones and we'll see if they work.  If not, I should be able to return them.

Also I've saved an Inkbird WIFI 4 probe in my wish list for birthday and Christmas ideas.

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 04:45:03 PM »

Thanks Canadian John!
I went ahead and ordered the Pit Boss ones and we'll see if they work.  If not, I should be able to return them.

Also I've saved an Inkbird WIFI 4 probe in my wish list for birthday and Christmas ideas.

John is a petty smarted!
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 06:30:46 PM »

And if the Pit Boss doesn't work, the Louisiana Grills Digital Control Center is the same controller as the Firecraft (from Roanoak).

Canadian John

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 10:11:37 AM »

I don't believe the Inkbird uses the same temperature sensor (1,000 Ohm RTD). It is either a different RTD or uses an other type of sensor.

There are probes that will fit that have similar physical dimensions however the internals of the business end are different and won't work. I went thru this in searching for an affordable probe for my Memphis.

Please let us know how the recently ordered probes work.  ;)

baumer64

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 05:51:45 PM »

I don't believe the Inkbird uses the same temperature sensor (1,000 Ohm RTD). It is either a different RTD or uses an other type of sensor.

No, I wasn't planning on the Inkbird for plugging into the Firecraft.  I want that one for checking temps while inside and when using my non-pellet smoker.  Thanks again for the advice and tips.  I'll let everyone know if the Amazon ordered Pit Boss probes work.  I love the Pit Boss pellets by the way.  It's been my best option lately.
Pages: [1]   Go Up