Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by reubenray on 04 Jun 2021
  • I Love the Weather. We have had no real rain for almost 3 weeks. Now, the evening before I need to pour 9 yards of concrete, it rains 2 5/8 inches in 3 hours. Pads are soaked and there is pools of water. You would think it is a script for a sitcom!

After being in construction for 38 years it is almost guaranteed to be rained on when you don't want it to.  Can you dig a trench in a corner to drain the water off?  We usually did this just in case.  A little water won't hurt if your concrete is a tad dryer.  Just check to make sure your reinforcement is still clean for bonding to the concrete.
  • #62 by pmillen on 04 Jun 2021
  • When we had a dry spell I'd paint the lawn furniture.  Bingo!  Rain for the farmers.
  • #63 by Bentley on 04 Jun 2021
  • I expected the wood bunker silo to be rough, no issues with it, just wont matter for what it is going to be used for. Can't get the truck where I want it for either pour because of rain last night.

But the pad for where the new shed will go, it turned into a nightmare...so have to shovel way more then I thought for bunker pad...so get torn down way faster then I though...so my perfectly good concrete calculation are way off?...so end up doing the dee da dee all is going well lets just pour both sides like the other pad cuz nothing can go wrong...so 9 yards is either not even close for an 18' x 20' x 4.5" and a 21' x 19' x 3" or you say you sent me 9 yards and you are full of...so the sun comes out while working on pad 2 and you are already spent and you end up with this!

To say I am disappointed with pad #2 would be an understatement!

• #64 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jun 2021
  • Ask them to come back when they have leftovers from another job to finish it off for you
  • #65 by Bentley on 04 Jun 2021
  • I do not know how it works.  I know that a short load cost more and it is anything less then 9 yards.  I still can't seem to get an answer on what it will cost per yard if a short load.  She says $27/yard more, so I say 3 yards will be $173/yard and she says no, it will be 7 yards at regular yard price to have 3 yards delivered...I realize I am in no shape or mood for this BS now and say thank you and good-bye...AA must be working, cuz just or 15 years ago, that phone conversation would have gone a whole different way!

We won't put the shed in for months...I guarantee I am not pouring concrete again till it is in the 50's!  So it really does not matter what the cost is right now.  What I did find eye opening is the cost of bagged cement.  I assumed doing bags of concrete would always be cheaper then having it delivered.  Wrong.  According to my calculations, it takes 45 bags of 80lb. bags to equal 1 yard.  At the current cost of $4.78/bag, that is $215/yard without tax or rental of mixer for said bags.

It has been a long morning!
  • #66 by Bentley on 04 Jun 2021
  • Kristin took a couple of shots!  I expected the truck to be at the far left of photos, backing into forms with the chute going from side to side, one quadrant at a time, very little shoveling and raking, very easy screeding...no such luck!  What can I say...Par for the Course!

• #67 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jun 2021
  • I used to play on a summer league basketball team sponsored by a cement company that was run by the kids of the owner.  They used to have leftovers from jobs that they would deliver to people for free but you had to be ready when they called and said they were on their way.
  • #68 by Bentley on 04 Jun 2021
  • After today, I just had to laugh/cry at this one!

Just because you think you can do something is not always a reason to try.  Rebar has been out there for 3 months, probably is not a place on it that does not have rust.  I had no idea!

Just check to make sure your reinforcement is still clean for bonding to the concrete.
  • #69 by Bentley on 04 Jun 2021
  • I must be grateful!  The Bunker Silo pour is done, I can now put in my side 4x4's and get the side 2x10's up, and I can start moving & cutting wood and get it in there for the winter!

I have and live a blessed life!  And I have all of you to share it with!  So today was a good day!
  • #70 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jun 2021
  • that is a positive way to reflect on the day...now hop in the hot tub
  • #71 by hughver on 10 Jun 2021
  • She says $27 per yard

Is this a typo? I was paying between $52 and $55 per yard for fiberglass reinforced in 2003.  ???
  • #72 by Bentley on 11 Jun 2021
  • I should have said $27/yard more then a standard load.  I will have to change that!  This was 9 yards @ $146/yard.
  • #73 by hughver on 11 Jun 2021
  • I should have said $27/yard more then a standard load.  I will have to change that!  This was 9 yards @ $146/yard.

Ouch!
  • #74 by Bentley on 11 Jun 2021
  • Yeah, concrete is not at those prices anymore.  The Culpeper company wanted $187/yard.
  • #75 by Bentley on 08 Jul 2021
  • Have reached what I think is about 30% capacity.  The numbers are not exact, but according to the rough Math, it should be about 630 sqft of split wood which should equate to 4.9 cords.

Pages:
Actions