Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice for the perfect pellet pit purchase  (Read 6473 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: Need advice for the perfect pellet pit purchase
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2020, 02:18:05 PM »

Would be interesting to see how they clean and sterilize the blade machines.  Awful hard to get to all the surfaces. I may ask the butcher next time I am there. If they place it in a closed high temp washer and daily, then I will not be concerned. I know their meat prep room is very cold so that is a plus.

bkeaver

• Lurker
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2021, 08:59:16 AM »

My first was a rec tec, if you want to grill, this is not the one to go with. You would be better off with a pit boss with the sliding tray or the camp chef. When I was looking to buy it they told me would grill just as well as a gas grill. 5 years later when I needed a controller I was talking to the RT guy and he said yea they are not great for grilling. Wish I had talked to him 5 years earlier. I had grill grates also.

What about it makes it unsuited to grilling?

Mine would not go over 435 I could set it at max and let it run for an hour+ I called they sent parts, the parts sent were much quieter than the originals. But no different, then they had me taking pictures and sending, the fan is not deep enough in the hole, you need to get under there and bend the legs to set i deeper. I get under it and beat the xxxx out of it with a hammer and 2x2 sent them more pictures they said that looks great, I said it didn't change any thing. we ran tests and I timed and we tested and I timed, and go no where. they were not sure, and by that time they had messed me around just long enough to pass the 30 day return window. My help to over come my issues had pretty much dried up as it was mine now.

There is no open flame so and not getting hot enough or quick enough made it not great. Most units that work well to grill have a system to allow you to direct grill,, like sliding drip pans or something of that nature. think about your gas or charcoal grill, are you going to light one side or set up the hot coals on one side and grill on the other? No you are going to grill over the direct heat source.

I learned to use mine to its limitations, low temps cooks, and highest temp would be 350 maybe 375. I did put a faster auger motor in that helped but still could not max out the temp at 500 in under and hour. So for me pretty much no high temp grilling and little to no smoke flavor using their pellets, left me less than thrilled with my easy bake oven. I bought a little GMG it was a far better cooker than the rec tec ever was both from high temp cooking to smoke flavor. The RT was a $1300+ mistake for me.
[/quote]This is what grill grates are for. They actually trap the heat in under the grate getting the Temps up to 500+ degrees making it very capable of grilling.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2021, 09:53:55 AM »

For my unsuitable for grilling was that not would not get hot enough, in a timely manner. There is no direct flame/heat access, which I knew going in but could have lived with it had it gotten to high enough temps to do a decent job. with out the direct flame/heat I could cook just as well and much quicker in a skillet on my stove.

The odd thing is and that is what was part of my discontent was other owners were reporting 500

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2021, 01:30:58 PM »

Would be interesting to see how they clean and sterilize the blade machines.  Awful hard to get to all the surfaces. I may ask the butcher next time I am there. If they place it in a closed high temp washer and daily, then I will not be concerned. I know their meat prep room is very cold so that is a plus.
Was purchasing some prime center cut sirloin yesterday and noted that they were blade tenderized (Costco). I asked the butcher about this. He said they use a needle type blade tenderizer and that it is sterilized after each big run. Usually more than once daily. I did not ask how.  However, I believe they are very careful about this for liability reasons.  I have also vowed to grill all tenderized meats to at least medium, which is how we like em anyhow.  FYI that I promised some time ago. Sorry for the delay.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up