Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tried to make some rolls today.  (Read 1632 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Tried to make some rolls today.
« on: December 25, 2020, 04:51:30 PM »

We ended up going to the GF's Sisters for dinner today, they had the normal ham, mashed taters, stuffing balls. Said we don't have dessert or deviled eggs. So we made eggs and pumpkin cheese cake last night. I decided to try to make rolls this morning.

I have not baked bread in a good many years. Here is the recipe I used today. It came up on my FB last week.

2cups warm water
1/4cup sugar
1.5 tbsp yeast
1.5 tsp salt
1/4cup vegetable oil
5.5 cups flour (I just used all purpose)

Dissolve sugar in warm water. Add yeast and let proof. Mix oil into yeast mixture once proofed.
Mix flour and salt in separate bowl.
Add dry mixture to wet mixture one cup at a time and stir / mix until soft dough forms....
Knead for 3-5 minutes....
Place in oiled bowl, turn over to coat both sides. Let rise one hour in warm spot. I put mine in a sunny window...
Punch down, shape into loaves. Place into greased bread pans. Let rise 30-40 minutes.
Bake at 350 for approx 30 minutes. Brush tops with butter while warm.

I used Crisco on my hands when making the rolls, it helps them not stick together so much, I put some kosher salt on half of them. These baked in the counter top breville convection oven for 26 minutes. maybe 18 or 20 would have made a difference in moisture. Also I foolishly measured out the flour and put it back and of course when all the flour was added I should have had more because it was a sticky mess. so I cleaned up my hands and added a bit more before putting it in the oiled bowl and sitting in the gas oven to proof with the pilot light heat for about an hour. After they  were done I brushed with some melted butter.

They turned out kind of heavier than I had hoped and a bit drier than I thought they should be, but people seemed to like them.
First time using this recipe, not sure where the one I used to make is I would have to find it.

It wasn't pretty but they turned out decent.

Comments from bakers that know more than me or know what I did wrong are welcome. That should open this up to pretty much anyone.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Tried to make some rolls today.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 07:17:06 PM »

The tops look great.  I grew up eating Lithuanian bread.  No bread could heavier.  You'll never see a Lithuanian Olympic swimmer.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 08:29:27 PM »

They sure look like a good dinner roll!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 03:41:44 PM »

Didn't want to muddy up Bentley's bread thread. Different recipes

Tried again today.

Same recipe as above I did 1/3C sugar and 1/3C oil this time instead of the 1/4C each.

Broke out the kitchenaid. 110° water dissolved sugar added yeast Just regular dry, and left it go about 10 minutes to work. then added the oil and whisked up started the mixer on stir and added flour slowly. increase speed to 2 or 3 (the switch must have some dust in it as it doesn't always work right) left is run for about 6 or 8 minutes. took out and hand kneaded some but no where close to window pane, put back in the mixer for another 6 to 8 minutes. noticed it looking better. Took it out and did a few hand kneads, but still no window pane, noticed it was much smoother than it was the last time. Formed it and into an oiled bowl oiled the top and cover with towel set  it in the gas oven with the pilot light to raise it was in there for about 90 minutes.

Punched down and formed the rolls and greased the tops with crisco. I remember Woman always having crisco on her hands as she would for the rolls and then I believe she put some on the tops. Covered and back into the oven checked at an hour and decide to try another hour. So they went 2 hours.

Into the counter top convection oven at 350°. About 35 minutes I checked with the thermapen temp was 204° took them out. The crisco really made them brown, maybe bake at lower temp next time.

The rolls are much smoother and not as crumbly as previous ones. The GF loved them as they  were so soft she said.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 07:39:11 PM »

They look great too!  I think I personally would take the finish on the 1st batch!  Finally got my mixed dough to look like your ball in the mixer bowl!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 08:12:20 AM »

They look great too!  I think I personally would take the finish on the 1st batch!  Finally got my mixed dough to look like your ball in the mixer bowl!

I think the crisco made them brown to much. SO next time I may just use a bit of olive oil and lower my cook temp some.
Pages: [1]   Go Up