Pages:
Actions
  • #106 by Kristin Meredith on 23 Feb 2021
  • The noon news said J&J goes before the FDA this Friday and can deliver 20 million vaccines in March if approved.  I hope so since I am still waiting!
  • #107 by okie smokie on 23 Feb 2021
  • Several of my friends got there's by calling multiple small towns around our area. One drove about an hour away and one 3+ hrs. Both enjoyed the outing. (before the big freeze).  Not sure if they went back for the second dose or plan to. Guess it depends on if they can get one more local.
    Meanwhile, our new case rate and death rate are plummeting. Not surprising. There comes a time when the number of vaccinated and post infected reach a point that the virus just kinda runs out of new targets. Hooray!
    Hope you find your vaccine soon.  Is Bentley going to take it?  He mentioned possibly skipping it.
  • #108 by Kristin Meredith on 23 Feb 2021
  • I may not understand the Virginia system, but I think what they have done recently is centralized the whole data base of folks waiting for a shot in order to kind of keep folks "in their lane" and not have people shopping around for vaccines in different health districts. If you are on the list, you get a call from your health district (when it is your turn in line), to schedule an appt. for a 1st shot.  At that appt, they schedule your second appt.

Bent has no intention of ever getting the Covid vaccine.
  • #109 by Mikro on 24 Feb 2021
  • I took my wife this morning for her first one. It has been reschedule twice due to weather. That was a brutal drive at 7:30am. Drive to South Dallas from way North then head West into the sun to an area you know nothing about in downtown traffic. This old man does not do well in that anymore. LOL!!

It is done though and she is a happy camper. We go back in two weeks.

Be safe everyone,
    MK
  • #110 by jdmessner on 24 Feb 2021
  • I was able to get my second one yesterday. I was lucky. Even though I don't qualify yet under the general guidelines, I received my shot at a senior care facility where I volunteer. They had enough vaccines for residents, staff, and volunteers. I guess community service does have some benefits! Other than a sore arm, no side effects.

In Michigan the rollout has been a mess. I know of several people who made appointments through the local hospital system and they were canceled. The vaccine was being redistributed downstate where the need was greater. They said folks that got their first shot would be able to get their second, but all other appointments were canceled. Yet there are other clinics in the area that were still able to make and keep appointments. It has just been very hit and miss.

I have not been able to keep up with all the posts on this thread, sorry if I am duplicating something that has already been discussed. I just read about a term called "virus envy." It talked about how we are creating a two tiered system of people, those who are immunized vs. those who are not and the different opportunities they will or will not be able to pursue in the future. There was also a report on the racial imbalance as to who is or is not receiving treatment. This may very well be true, but I don't know how they are putting together their facts since there is no ethnic data being gathered when the shots are distributed. So should I feel "virus guilt" for getting a shot earlier than anticipated? I will admit there is some, but I do work with a lot of people who are at high risk, so I can rationalize it by being able to keep those that I come into contact with a bit safer. But then again, it sounds like people with the vaccine may still be able to spread the virus without showing any symptoms. For better or worse, I've had my shots! I do hope and pray that soon everyone that would like one is able to get it and this will no longer be an issue.

• #111 by Kristin Meredith on 24 Feb 2021
  • Heck, I am always happy to hear that someone has completed the two doses no matter where they fall on the list of eligible.  It just means one more protected person out there and one less chance of spreading.

I know they say that they "don't know" if people can spread after complete vaccine, but I read an interview with an immunologist who said the chances of spreading after fully vaccinated are miniscule and the reason to ask for folks to wear masks, etc is to more show group "solidarity and compassion".  Meh, alright, I don't care a wit about group solidarity, I would prefer to see normal folks walking around without masks and helping society get back to business, but I am pretty callous about feelings.

So, good for you JD, glad you got the shots!
  • #112 by 02ebz06 on 24 Feb 2021
  • I get an daily email from a local TV station with latest news about the virus.
    Here is latest, discussing masks.

Dr. Anthony Fauci said Sunday that it is possible Americans will still need to wear masks in 2022 to protect against the coronavirus, even as the U.S. may reach a significant degree of normality by the end of this year.

EDIT: Tried to past whole article, but as soon as it gets to an apostrophe, the rest was removed.
  • #113 by Bentley on 24 Feb 2021
  • You wear the mask as long as you like Dr Fauci, I am about done with it, and I would venture to guess that a large portion of the US is too!  I will give the mask till about June, then I am going to start showing my civil disobedience.
  • #114 by hughver on 24 Feb 2021
  • I too struggle with the mask, it continually dislodges my hearing aids and restricts my already difficult breathing. However, even though I 've had both shots, as long as it's the law and my wearing a mask gives some level of comfort to my fellow man (woman),  I'll continue to wear them.  :2cents:

• #115 by Kristin Meredith on 24 Feb 2021
  • I find Dr. Fauci's comments about wearing masks into 2022 both interesting and confusing.  Both he and President Biden have stated that, by the end of July, 2021 there will be enough vaccine doses so that every American who wants one can have one. And whether health officials like it or not, there will be folks who refuse a vaccine for whatever reason.  So we are never going to reach Dr. Fauci's 85% (or it may now be 90 or 95%, he admits that he has misrepresented whatever the real number he believes for herd immunity is).  So, we can wait until 2025 re removing masks and still not have the immunity levels Dr. Fauci wants.

Given that, what is the point of masks after the end of July 2021? Funny how you never see a reporter ask those kinds of questions.
  • #116 by SmokinHandyman on 24 Feb 2021
  • I got my first dose last Sunday. The Illinois National Guard has organized a mass distribution center at out State Fair grounds. My appointment was at 10:30 a.m.
    Got there a little early and was back home by 11:00. 2nd dose on 03/14/21 scheduled.
    I was able to get mine because I am essential store delivery.
  • #117 by pmillen on 24 Feb 2021
  • I received my second shot late this morning.  As with the first shot, administered in what I would call a mega-church gymnasium, the Nebraska National Guard had the process well laid-out and running smoothly.

I think I was somewhat tired the second day after my first shot.

A large Omaha food chain (I think multi-state but not nationwide) has pharmacies with private rooms for minor medical attention.  They have been administering the vaccine by appointment.  In one particular store in a racial minority neighborhood, many people are not keeping their appointments.  At the end of the day, in order to not discard the serum, they have been vaccinating store employees and announcing that free vaccinations will be available until closing.

The store manager goes to my church and has asked that anyone who can go to the store on short notice give him their telephone number.  He plans to have the healthcare person call in order to exhaust the serum supply each day.
  • #118 by okie smokie on 24 Feb 2021
  • I get an daily email from a local TV station with latest news about the virus.
    Here is latest, discussing masks.

Dr. Anthony Fauci said Sunday that it is possible Americans will still need to wear masks in 2022 to protect against the coronavirus, even as the U.S. may reach a significant degree of normality by the end of this year.

EDIT: Tried to past whole article, but as soon as it gets to an apostrophe, the rest was removed.
    Dr. F has turned out to be the least reliable chronic bureaucrat that he has always been. I don't have confidence in anything he says or recommends. He has reversed his advice frequently, and has been wrong most of the time. He loves media attention too much IMO. He sucks up to whatever administration is in power at the time.
    1. No masks nec.Then masks are a necessity. Then 2 masks better than one.
    2. Remdesivir was best treatment for active Covid. At $6000 a pop.  Turned out to be a only minimally helpful if at all.
    3. Hydroxychloroquine he said was of no proven value, and should not be used. Turned out to be very helpful to shorten the course of disease in many people and is now used in many ICU protocols. PS only a few cents per pill. Guess it was too cheap.
    4. Said Ivermectin was not proven and should not be used. Wrong again. It is almost a miracle drug in preventing illness and in treating the illness both early and late. Again a very cheap drug, with a negligible side effect profile. over 3 billion doses given worldwide in the past 40 years. Is now also approved for emergency use by NIH.
    If you want to get caught up on the current status of Covid19 I would suggest the FLCCC web page that is provided by doctors who actually treat this disease. These are well know medical research and treatment doctors, and have published literally thousands of medical research papers. They have all the current data listed on their website and explain in simple english.. Hope this is acceptible to our website.

• #119 by Trooper on 25 Feb 2021
  • I received my first vac shot about 2 weeks ago and am scheduled for #2 in another couple of weeks.
    I had also received the normal influenza vaccination earlier last fall. I can't seem to find out data on how many people died of the "regular" influenza.
    Realistically, I know that people die from the flu. They always have. Especially in my age group (75) and those with other health issues. Such are the chronicles of life(& death).

I wear a mask only when necessary and that is because the store may be going ballistics with all kinds of warnings at the door.
     (Hey, don't want anybody to freak out and have me placed under house arrest because I don't have a couple of masks on)

I realize that many, if not most, have not journeyed down the same path in life as me. I have OFTEN found myself in very dangerous situations. Please put up with me for my caustic attitude.
  • #120 by yorkdude on 25 Feb 2021
  • You wear the mask as long as you like Dr Fauci, I am about done with it, and I would venture to guess that a large portion of the US is too!  I will give the mask till about June, then I am going to start showing my civil disobedience.
    Yep, same here.
    I have just about seen enough.
Pages:
Actions