Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pit Boss at WalMart  (Read 907 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Pit Boss at WalMart
« on: March 29, 2021, 11:10:33 AM »

Didn't want to hijack Curley's thread about the Laredo 1000 he bought so I thought I'd post a new thread just to comment on the grills.

I went the WalMart web site to look it up the Laredo 1000 Curley purchased.
Typed in Pit Boss in the searh box and got a whole bunch of different grills they make.
I was amazed, especially the combo setups.
They have two that have Pellet grill on left, and gas grill on right.
And one with a pellet grill with a vertical pellet smoker.
Don't think I have ever seen or heard of that before.
Great ideas combining them on one cart. Saves real estate in the back yard.

Wish I had seen those before I bough my gasser 4-5 months ago.
I would have bought one of the pellet/gas combo units instead.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:22:44 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
Re: Pit Boss at WalMart
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 02:17:28 PM »

I liked the one with the little vertical on the top, but it seem from reading from people that have them to run the top at 225 the bottom needs to run at 300 plus, so probably not much smoke being produced at the 300 plus area. I think they also made one that was pellet on one side and a flat op griddle on the other.

I think lowes has some built just for them also, and maybe tractor supply.

I have one of the first verticals they  made. CH7. it is nice and roomy. I remember looking at one of the horizontal ones at lowes one time I was there and lifted the lid, I was surprise at how much heavier it was than I was thinking it would be, and very sturdy appearing. It was easily on par with my rectec I had at the time, other than the internals were SS on my rt, it was also more heavily built than my gmg. Biggest issues I seem to read about and even experienced with mine on the Pit Boss is controller temps, running wild. Some models didn't seem to have many issues while others seemed to be constant.

For the money they look to be a good value, especially if you are just getting into pellet cooking.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 03:03:38 PM »

Biggest issues I seem to read about and even experienced with mine on the Pit Boss is controller temps, running wild.

For the money they look to be a good value, especially if you are just getting into pellet cooking.

Same thing with my CampChef vertical smoker.  Put a Savannah Stoker controller on it and all's good now.

I agree, great for starting out.  :cool:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 05:08:12 PM »

Does Camp Chef even sell their vertical anymore?  I remember looking at that online when it was about to come out the first time and thinking it would be great for multiple things.  Doesn't seem like it may have panned out quite as well as I had hoped.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 06:02:34 PM »

Does Camp Chef even sell their vertical anymore?  I remember looking at that online when it was about to come out the first time and thinking it would be great for multiple things.  Doesn't seem like it may have panned out quite as well as I had hoped.

Bought mine in July of 2020 I think.
Web site shows the PG-VXXL, but didn't see it for sale anyplace.  Amazon and BBQGuys show out of stock.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:46:36 AM by 02ebz06 »

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 11:41:03 AM »

The Camp Chef web site shows the PGVXXL as discontinued.

https://www.campchef.com/xxl.html

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 11:51:29 AM »

When I searched, I went to the web site and searched for PG-XXL Pro.
It returns a page showing the PGVXXL and the PGVXXLC (with WI-FI)
Doesn't list them as discontinued.
Looks like they need to get their web pages updated.

Pages: [1]   Go Up