Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting my grill in order  (Read 1176 times)

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
Re: Getting my grill in order
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2021, 04:57:12 PM »

That looks very good.

I've started brisket and pork shoulders frozen and they cooked fine.

If it was a proper brisket - i.e. a solid bit of meat - I wouldn't have been concerned.

But this is a large (6lb) rolled brisket. Which means that "outside bits" (which might have been contaminated during handling) are in the icy centre of the joint. Unlikely there would be a problem, but safety first.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 04:59:35 PM by Chris__M »
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2021, 03:38:21 PM »

The rolled brisket worked out very good. Turns out, I could have flattened it - it was mainly one bit of meat wrapped around a meaty chunk - but I was not to know that.

Moist, easy to carve, and very tender. It went on at 8:50am, wrapped at 1:20pm (165°F), and was off the grill at 7pm (195°F). Then rested for an hour.

I've carved a whole lot up for tonight and later in the week, but I also have the turkey crown to get through, and I have a proper brisket coming in a couple of week's time. :D So some of this brisket is going to get cubed up, vacuum-packed with gravy, and frozen for future casseroles. That is if I don't eat it all first.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2021, 05:24:12 PM »

Looks terrific. Nicely done!!!
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2021, 05:27:36 PM »

You've got some nice color on that turkey and the brisket.  What wood are you using?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2021, 05:53:13 PM »

I was using up the last of my Lil Devils, which seem not to have a current supplier in the UK, and CookinPellets Perfect Mix.

Turkey was coated with a butter/maple syrup, which looked fantastic, but was largely wasted, due to my dislike of turkey skin. Next time I'll remove the skin and apply it directly to the meat.

Brisket was prepared just with salt and pepper - I didn't bother with a rub, as it had a net on it. Despite that, it tasted fantastic, and the smoke took well.

For my next cooks in a week or so time, I have more of the Perfect Mix, but I also have Cherry, Mesquite and Chestnut. That last one is a new one on me, and I'd be interested to try it.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2021, 05:57:41 PM »

Yeah, I never heard of chestnut pellets either.  I like the color that cherry pellets put on meat.  I am not a fan of Mesquite.  It seemed bitter to my taste buds.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2021, 06:01:52 PM »

I usually mix Mesquite in with other pellets - no more than 25%. Having said that I have had good success with it on British-style sausages.

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2021, 05:26:22 AM »

I want to keep cooking and experimenting, but a man can only eat so much meat.

My friends, seeing my pictures on FB, keep joking they are headed over, but they know I need to play with this first, before cooking for people.

So, the first of two trays to go into the freezer. Once the meat is frozen, I'll bag it up.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up