Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Griddle on Louisiana Grills Founders Legacy 1200  (Read 1060 times)

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
Griddle on Louisiana Grills Founders Legacy 1200
« on: June 03, 2021, 10:10:30 AM »

My new mega grill comes with a main grate made up of 3 stainless steel grates. Not only does this make them easier to handle and lift in and out, but one of them can be swapped with a purpose-made cast-iron griddle.

Now I have never used such a beast as a griddle before, and the user manual says nothing about it, except in the parts list. So I did what I thought was the reasonable thing and emailed LG.

Except they seem to know very little about operating this grill, they could answer none of my questions, about this, or about the app that came with it. A bit of a brush-off, in fact.

So I thought I would see what folk here think. Even if you have never used this grill, you probably have a better idea on how to use it than I do, or even the folk at Louisiana grills. So feel free to chip in with opinions.

(I have searched for information or videos on how this is used, and have found very little; but I may have missed something. If anyone has any URLs, feel free).

When unpacking the grill, the griddle was in the left-hand position, over where the firebox is, and above the "open flame" louvres. So my questions were.

1. Should the griddle be operated with the open flame open, or closed?
2. If closed, would there be any issue with using the griddle on the right-hand position, allowing me to use the "open flame" for grilling?

Also what things would you use a griddle for? What comes to mind is breakfast things (eggs, hash browns, bacon) or stuff like onions (cooking directly on griddle) or sides (in a pot on the griddle).

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Publicity photo, showing griddle in place.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 10:14:53 AM by Chris__M »
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
Re: Griddle on Louisiana Grills Founders Legacy 1200
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 10:17:44 AM »

By the way, any doubts in my mind about the size of this beast has vanished, due to the number of friends wanting to invite themselves round!

But I'd quite like to learn how to use it first. :D
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 01:00:25 PM »

I would start out with the open flame closed.  You want to have the temp on the griddle somewhere in the 350°-400° temp range and ensure you are using a high heat oil that won't burn in that range.  In America, a few other things that a griddle is used to cook are cheese steaks, smash burgers, stir fry, fajitas, etc.  These links may help you for maintenance and usage.

https://www.campchef.com/blog/how-to-care-for-your-griddle/

https://www.littlegriddle.com/pages/frequently-asked-questions

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/griddles-101
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 02:31:48 PM »

Brilliant. Many thanks.

This is a new level of grilling ahead of me, and with the size of the grill, I'll probably leave the griddle in for my own regular use, and only take it out when I need the full grill.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 03:54:14 PM »

I bought a few of these to place on my griddle to check temp in case the infrared gun doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSJRSCZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may want to consider storing the griddle in the house.  Being outside in the elements potentially could lead to getting rust on it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 06:51:22 PM »

I bought a few of these to place on my griddle to check temp in case the infrared gun doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSJRSCZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may want to consider storing the griddle in the house.  Being outside in the elements potentially could lead to getting rust on it.
I have one similar to the analog Cuisinart. I just set it inside near the cooking area I use and leave it for the whole cook. Easy to know quickly what the surface temp is so I can adjust the control when needed. It is getting a little stained but the glass is easy to clean. Tested and accurate, although a little slower to respond to temp changes. But no wires or clamps.  Can also set it on the griddle. Don't think a little oil will bother it as it has no seams except around the glass on top. 

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 06:29:28 AM »

Now I know a little more what to look for, this griddle (the one that came with the grill) is a mess.

When I removed it from the plastic, it was oily and sticky - I didn't know at the time that this was not how it should be, but I'd already decided I was not going to cook on that mess! What is worse, the stickiness (I won't call it seasoning) had adhered to the plastic wrapping it, so I ended up with a scattering of metal showing through.

Anyway, it's taken me a while to get around to it; my grill had enough adventures without the griddle. After being very delicate and ineffective, I took to scrubbing the whole thing thoroughly with soap and water, until it wasn't sticky any more. That took some time. It was then that I noticed there was the beginnings of rust in the metal, so I got a rust eraser, and set upon it with that. Then washed thoroughly again.

It is now in the grill with its first layer of new oil (I am using corn oil), and I wait to see how it turns out after a few applications.

After all of that, I came across Canadian John's two posts about cast iron, and did a little search for the pucks he described, but the only ones I can find involve shipping from the States!  :D

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 12:13:03 PM »

This is a fast way to check surface temperatures.

EDIT:  PF will get a small affiliate fee if you follow the instructions here when buying Thermoworks products.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 12:15:53 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 03:52:29 PM »

Managed to get 3 layers of seasoning done today, without any effort - just fitting it in around other chores.

It is already looking a lot better, but I'll do another 2-3 tomorrow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up