Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pellet fueled Ooni pizza oven?  (Read 1563 times)

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
Pellet fueled Ooni pizza oven?
« on: July 22, 2021, 09:52:04 PM »

Hi all,
Does anyone have hands on experience with the Ooni Fyra wood fueled pizza oven?  I recently ran across an advertisement for one and I am intrigued.  Might be fun to use and it's another consumer of pellets.
Thanks

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Pellet fueled Ooni pizza oven?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 10:38:38 PM »

Isn't that the thing that we had a raffle for on here a few years ago?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 10:48:09 PM »

I dunno Lew.  My first search found one thread about the 16" model. I'll try again tomorrow.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 10:58:11 PM »

This is the one I was thinking of.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=1795.0
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 11:34:17 PM »

Thanks Lew, it looks like I should pass on this one.

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 10:18:20 AM »

Not direct experience of cooking with it, but I have a friend who has one, and I have eaten some exceptional pizza off of it.

Is also easily transportable - a couple of years ago, a crowd of us took neighbouring holiday cottages, and we had his Ooni and my GMG Davy Crockett with us, and we had an excellent time of it all.

The one thing I remember is that the cooking is quite a hands on thing - the pizza needs to be rotated, as there is definitely a hot side and a cooler side. But once you know that, it isn't difficult.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 01:55:27 PM »

It certainly worked, but to much fussing and so small.

I would spend a few more bucks and get the one from Sams Club FMT got!

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2322.msg36795#msg36795
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 02:02:04 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 08:04:18 PM »

Thanks Chris and Bentley.   I watched a review on YouTube and the guy basically said the same thing.  It's small, fiddly and requires your full attention.  He also said if you put in the work you will have a great pizza. Maybe I should stick with the indoor oven.   ;)

I'll think on it a bit long...   :beer:

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 08:16:45 AM »

I have always thought I wanted a Roccbox, but the cheap me says I ain't paying 5 or 6 hundred for one of them. I was looking through FB marketplace and come across his Bakerstone box. They said they used it once selling the whole kit for a 50 spot, now we're talking. I met them and picked it up, they said it didn't work right in their grill because they couldn't close the lid. I got home and looked at it and the instructions (yes I know, what guy actually read those things,, waste of paper.) but when it came to how to use, #1 was the grill lid must remain open during use.  Apparently the husband subscribed to he we don't need to stinkin instructions theory.

I have used it once since having it, in my cheapo gas 3 burner it fits nice and I can close the lid if I need to, I just leave it in there. Takes about 30 minutes to get the inside stone to around 500ish. I was using it with the flavorizer type bars over the burners, next time I think I will try it with them off.Problems I encountered were the wooden and metal peels I had were to big. The wooden peel hat came with it looked to thick to really work right and it was not very smooth. Getting pizzas in using it was not easy. I will be buying another smaller wooden peel or taking the sander to the one that came with it and smoothing and probably thinning the front a bit to help it out. It cooked some good pizza if I could do my part.

If you have a 3 or 4 burner gas grill it may be worth looking into. I see they make it with a burner assembly under it like a blackstone type griddle, I would like to find the burner and try it.My other gas grill has a rotisserie burner and it will not fit in it as it won't go back far enough to sit in nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/BakerStone-ABDHX-000-Original-Pizza/dp/B015T6F1JE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1WQU625Z4BVAT&dchild=1&keywords=bakerstone+pizza+oven&qid=1627127839&sprefix=bakerstone%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-3

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 12:45:19 PM »

Hi all,
Does anyone have hands on experience with the Ooni Fyra wood fueled pizza oven?  I recently ran across an advertisement for one and I am intrigued.  Might be fun to use and it's another consumer of pellets.
Thanks

I guess I should pay attention to more of the forums, but I have an Ooni Fyra. I really enjoy using it, but once you get it going you really have to watch because keeping it at 900 for the Neapolitan style pizzas it eats pellets, but it also only takes around 70 seconds or so to cook a pizza with it. The biggest issue I have is figuring out which direction to point it since it is so windy here.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 01:29:36 PM »

I have one of these in the garage somewhere, from a few years back.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The idea is that it goes on your grill and acts like a pizza oven. I used it on my old Traeger, with mixed success. I could get good pizza from it, but it essentally meant disassembling my Traeger, removing the heat shield and everything to get it hot enough. I then found I could do just as well by putting a breadstone in the grill.

Now I have the LG, with the direct flame option, I may dig it out and have another go with it.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 04:49:31 PM »

I have one of these in the garage somewhere, from a few years back.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The idea is that it goes on your grill and acts like a pizza oven. I used it on my old Traeger, with mixed success. I could get good pizza from it, but it essentally meant disassembling my Traeger, removing the heat shield and everything to get it hot enough. I then found I could do just as well by putting a breadstone in the grill.

Now I have the LG, with the direct flame option, I may dig it out and have another go with it.

I have a similar one from Bakerstone. I use it on my 3 burner gas grill. It works well on it. We don't use it often but if we have people over and mention having pizza they want to have them made in it. My issue is I am no where near the pizza chefs that are in the Pizza thread.

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 05:00:37 PM »

Ah well, one of my other hobbies is bread :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up