Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cajun Meatloaf  (Read 654 times)

ofelles

• Using less gas.
Cajun Meatloaf
« on: August 11, 2021, 05:12:10 PM »

I just saw and read the No Glaze Meatloaf post from 2017 I think.  It sounds very good and I plan on giving it a try soon.
It got me thinking about my Cajun Meatloaf recipe I have adapted from Paul Prudhomme’s Louisiana Kitchen cookbook.  If you like a bit spicey it's great.  And the Very Hot Cajun Sauce just takes it up another couple of notches.  Enjoy (I often double the recipe!)

Cajun Meatloaf

Yield: 6-8 servings           

Ingredients:
Seasoning mix
•   2 whole bay leaves
•   1 tablespoon salt
•   ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
•   1 teaspoon black pepper
•   ½ teaspoon white pepper
•   ½ teaspoon ground cumin
•   ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Meatloaf
•   4 tablespoons unsalted butter
•   ¾ cup onions, finely chopped or shredded on large holes
•   ½ cup celery, finely chopped
•   ½ cup green bell peppers, finely chopped
•   ½ cup green onions, finely chopped
•   2 teaspoons garlic, minced or pressed
•   1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
•   1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
•   ½ cup evaporated milk
•   ½ cup catsup
•   1½ pounds ground sirloin beef
•   ½ pound ground pork
•   2 eggs, lightly beaten
•   1 cup very fine dry bread crumbs

Preparation:

1.   Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
2.   Melt the butter in a 2qt saucepan over medium heat.  Add onions, celery, bell peppers, green onions, garlic, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and seasoning mix.  Sauté until mixture starts sticking excessively, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom well.  Stir in the milk and catsup.  Continue cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
3.   Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature and remove the bay leaves.  Preheat oven to 350°F. (cook in smoker 200°F for 45 minutes then 375°F until the internal temp reaches 160°F.)
4.   Place ground beef and pork in a large bowl, add eggs, the cooked vegetable mixture and bread crumbs.  Mix by hand until just thoroughly combined, but no more. 
5.   In center of ungreased 13”x 9” baking pan shape the mixture into a loaf (about 12" x 6" x 1½" high).  Bake uncovered for 25 minutes, then raise the heat to 400°F and continue cooking until done, about 35 minutes longer.
6.   Serve immediately as is or with Very Hot Cajun Sauce. (recipe below)

Very Hot Cajun Sauce

Yield: about 3½ cups

Ingredients:

•   ¾ cup onions, chopped
•   ½ cup green bell peppers, chopped
•   ½ cup celery, chopped
•   ¼ cup vegetable oil
•   ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
•   ¾ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
•   ½ teaspoon white pepper
•   ½ teaspoon black pepper
•   2 whole bay leaves
•   ¼ cup fresh jalapeno peppers, minced (see note)
•   1 teaspoon garlic, minced
•   3 cups beef stock
Note: Fresh jalapenos are preferred; if pickled ones are used, rinse as much vinegar from them as possible.

Preparation:

1.   Combine the onions, bell peppers and celery in a small bowl and set aside.

2.   In a heavy 2qt sauce pan heat the oil over med-low heat to about 250°F.  Whisk in flour a little at a time until smooth.  Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the roux is light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes (being careful not to scorch the roux or splash on your skin!). 

3.   Remove roux from the heat and with a spoon immediately stir in vegetable mixture, red, white and black peppers; return pan to high heat and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add bay leaves, jalapeno peppers and garlic, stirring well for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. (we’re cooking the seasonings and vegetables in light roux and the mixture should, therefore, be pasty). Remove from heat.

4.   In a separate 2qt saucepan, bring the beef stock to a boil.  Add the roux mixture by spoonful to the boiling stock, stirring until dissolved between each addition.  Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce reduces to about 3½ cups, about 15 minutes.

5.   Skim any oil from the top and serve immediately.
Yoder YS640
LSG 48" Santa Maria Grill
LSG Insulated Cabinet Smoker
Pages: [1]   Go Up