Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some stuffed banana peppers.  (Read 2588 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Some stuffed banana peppers.
« on: September 09, 2021, 09:52:02 PM »

I did some the other day in the electric smoker, because of all of the rain. Picked up a few more at the farmers market when I went for jalapenos for last weekend, also got some sort of orange peppers the box said HOT, she didn't know the name but said they were the 300K ones.

I cleaned the seed pods and as many seeds as I could out of them. I made up my own sausage for the last one but this time used a log of Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean in the banana peppers, stuffed a few chunks of cheese curd down in the meat and spooned some jarred sauce I had left from the pizzadillas the other night. The little orange ones cleaned out well filled with whipped cream cheese and put some bacon around them to help hold the cream cheese in.

Put them in the Davey C at 275° not sure how long they were in there maybe 2 hours, when I finished my project I stuck the Orange thermapen (Orange is the fastest one, you know) and it showed 167° in the 2 larger peppers.

The little orange ones I made a couple the same way over the weekend, I took a bite of one of the tops I cut off and it lit me up right away, but after they were done cooked the heat was gone. The ones today, still had some heat to them, you knew you ate one or three of them. The banana peppers were very good, the sausage wasn't as flavored as what I mixed up myself, but still pleased. I vac sealed 8 of the last ones I did in packs of 2 and put in the freezer for this winter. I may need to make a trip to the farmers market again Saturday to see if I can find some more.

The sausage I mixed up for my other ones was made from ground pork from the little market I go to, they grind a few times a day on the chuck, and probably once  or twice on the pork.

3 (1400gr) pounds ground pork
28 gr Sea Salt
6 gr Black Pepper
10 gr each Granulated Garlic, and Onion
15 gr Paprika
6 gr Chipotle Powder
6 gr Ground Mustard
added in some Italian Seasoning, I crushed up as fine as I could in my hand. not sure on weight, it was maybe half a teaspoon.

Mixed this all up and put in the fridge over night then into the peppers the next morning.

When I make again I will add in some crushed red pepper flakes, (didn't have any this time) and will toast and grind some fennel seeds. I am not a fan of the whole seeds in the sausage but like the flavor. Again didn't have any. I have both now though. I left out Sage as not a big sage fan a little is okay but I don't usually add it to my sausage.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Some stuffed banana peppers.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 09:55:17 PM »

I think those orange ones are habaneros
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 07:53:06 AM »

I think those orange ones are habaneros

Yep.  Habaneros
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 08:10:07 AM »

That is what I thought, and I asked her, she said they cobalts or something like that, she didn't remember. At first glance I thought they were Scotch Bonnets, I used to grow them when I had a garden.

These retained some of the kick through the cooking process, unlike the 2 I did when I did the jalapenos last weekend.

Thinking I am going to go back tomorrow and se if I can find more of them. Dehydrate and then crush or try to powder for in some hot sausage. They don't have the unique flavor of the Bonnets, but they were good.

I don't do as well with the hot stuff as I used to. I do still enjoy it though as long as it is flavorful and not just mouth numbing hot.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 12:49:54 PM »

Scotch Bonnet and Habanero almost the same in taste and Scoville rating.  How tender do the peppers get after cooking?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 04:01:56 PM »

Scotch Bonnet and Habanero almost the same in taste and Scoville rating.  How tender do the peppers get after cooking?

They were very soft, the banana peppers because of the way I cut them held all of the liquid from the meat and the pepper. When I picked them up with the tongs it squeezed a lot out. I think the time you leave them in had a lot to do with tenderness. i have done jalapenos that still had a bit of crunch to them. The toughest parts really is the outside or skin that is exposed, if they are completely covered in the bacon the outside is much softer.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 07:32:38 PM »

http://www.pepperfestival.com/

I went to this today and tried several scorpion, ghost and reaper sauces.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 08:40:05 AM »

http://www.pepperfestival.com/

I went to this today and tried several scorpion, ghost and reaper sauces.

That would be a nice way to spend some time. I have been to some BBQ places that have a ghost pepper sauce.

Last year we went for the weekend to Berlin OH, we went to Heine Cheese factory they had Scorpion, Reaper and I believe Ghost Pepper cheese along with a lot of others. I bought some of each. It was really good. There is a small dairy farm that makes cheese and they make a lot of curd, they had a ghost pepper curd, they don't have it all the time but I pick some up when I see it. We went to open house type thing where you could watch them doing different stages of it, and they had fresh plain cheese curd.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 08:16:18 PM »

Did a few more peppers today, a few infernos, banana and a couple anaheim.

Mix of 50/50 ground chuck and ground pork from the little market. I seasoned it similar to above I did add in some crushed red peppers and fennel seeds I crushed.

Did a few the other day also and gave a couple to my cousin for her husband. He really liked them, she wouldn't even try them, much like my GF.

I will eat 2 or 3 and vac seal and freeze for later, take them out and in the water oven for a bit to reheat.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 11:27:50 AM »

Lookin' good!!!
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven
Pages: [1]   Go Up