Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Soap for Carpet Cleaning Machines  (Read 870 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Soap for Carpet Cleaning Machines
« on: October 29, 2021, 04:08:50 PM »

I need to scrub some carpet with a rented machine.  I've been told that some soaps are much better than those sold by the people who rent the machines.

Does anyone have a favorite soap or formula?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Soap for Carpet Cleaning Machines
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 04:14:30 PM »

Have always just used what they sell.  Put "best soap for rug cleaning" in youtube and you will get what appears to be some decent advice!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 05:02:47 PM »

Put "best soap for rug cleaning" in youtube and you will get what appears to be some decent advice!

Lately, when using a search engine or searching in YouTube, I can't tell the difference between actual results unbiasedly reported and hype planted by a Marketing Department.

That's why I asked here.  I will give the replies a higher rating.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 05:45:26 PM »

I agree with you regarding internet advice, was just not sure if there was any other data.  There is a Russian or Pole that has a channel who cleans rugs professional and post them on youtube, Lubuskie Centrum Czystrosci,  I have watched a few of his videos, wish I knew what he had in his dispensers!

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 01:30:00 AM »

I own a rug cleaner and always put Bissel in it. Put the wrong stuff in and you might get the type of result folks see when they try soap instead of windshield wiper fluid.

This is just not a big expense issue for me. Maybe it would be if I cleaned my carpets more often.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 02:38:31 AM »

I own a rug cleaner and always put Bissel in it. Put the wrong stuff in and you might get the type of result folks see when they try soap instead of windshield wiper fluid.

This is just not a big expense issue for me. Maybe it would be if I cleaned my carpets more often.

Very helpful...not
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

TravlinMan

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 03:38:59 AM »

I’ve had good luck with Bissell Pet stain and odor - follow recommended mixing recommendations. For heavier spots and stains - I mist over the area with a higher concentrate and work it in with a clean floor broom, and then run the carpet cleaner over the area like normal.  Really helps not to ‘over saturate’ the area and pull as much solution from the carpet before moving to the next section - working the room in 3 or 4 foot squares. 

Many years ago, I tagged along with an old friend I was visiting who was starting a carpet cleaning business, picked up quite a few tricks.  However - that was a long time ago and while the basics remain the same, I am sure equipment and especially supplies have evolved since then.
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 08:06:58 AM »

I have a Bissel of some sorts, and the pet stain cleaner. Seemed to work well, both had good reviews when I bought them.

Not sure if the Bissel stuff is like the Rug Doctor or what ever brand you rented.

The internet thing, I used to say people fast forward through the commercials when watching a show but spend 50 bucks a month for the internet.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 10:15:42 AM »

I purchased a Hoover Steam-vac carpet cleaner several years back from a rather large and long time local store. They specialize in vacuums, carpet cleaners and the like. Very knowledgable, helpful and honest.

They sold me "X-Tract" cleaner that works very well. The exact same soap they sell to the professional carpet cleaners. They didn't even try to sell me the Hoover soap!

Advice they gave me was: Vacuum first. Spot clean and scrub any dirty spots prior to using the machine. After cleaning, RINSE with water only.  This removes the soap an operation the pros don't  do as they

want to get on to the next job. The soap if not rinsed will attract dirt! Hard to believe I know.  Lastly; Don't soak the carpet either with the soap solution or the rinse.

If there is furniture, cut up pieces of plastic  and placed under the legs will prevent the soap and water from leaching the finish from the wood that will stain the carpet..

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 12:10:02 PM »

Nor for me.  I think that each week more money falls out of my pockets than I would spend on carpet soap.   :)

I'm more interested in effectiveness.

After cleaning, RINSE with water only.  This removes the soap an operation the pros don't  do as they want to get on to the next job. The soap if not rinsed will attract dirt!

That makes sense.  I've never done it nor have the companies that have cleaned my carpets.  I will this time.
Paul

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 01:09:44 AM »

In another life I was an IICRC certified carpet and upholstery cleaner. Canadian John is correct. If I am not too late, don’t put any soap in that machine. Just use the hottest water you coming out of your tap. The machine will likely have a heater in it to heat the water but starting with hot is good. If you have already done a soap mixture then yes do another pass with just water as a rinse. And then another pass or two just suction.

The problem is those rented machine is they just are not powerful enough. Think about when the pros come. They have a machine mounted in a truck. There is a reason for that. Much higher psi for the water injection (to break up dirt) and much more powerful suction. Those rented machines rarely even have the power to pull out the water they put in. We used to use demo carpet and pad set ups with rented machines vs ours  to show how much water would be left. We did this when we put on classes for insurance agents.

I would go over everything twice for suction. The water will get in under the pad and those machines aren’t strong enough to get it out. So as CJ said, spot clean any real bad spots. You can do this with really any OTC cleaner and a light brush or dabbing cloth. The real work is done by the hot water and the extraction. Sometimes the “pros” don’t even use soap. I know, I was one. Then make sure you have heat and airflow. That will dry the carpet the fastest. Hotter air holds more moisture than cold air so the warmer the air the more evaporation. And air movement cycles the hot wet air out and new dry hot air in. You want to make sure things are good and dry under the pad. That is where the moisture problems happen with rented machines/home machines if too much water gets put down.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 12:34:19 PM »

Ta Dah!

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 01:26:36 PM »

Very helpful...not

Let me clarify my comment. Detergents represent a large class of compounds with different properties. You need to match the properties to the application.

This is a surface chemistry problem.

Carpet cleaning is a low water application so you need a detergent that works well in low water and does not leave an unwarranted residue.

Using the wrong type of detergent can create problems, such as the windshield wiper issue. You don't want to put together a mix that is difficult to get out.

You don't want to have to use excessive amounts of water.

Using another analogy, would you formulate your own motor oil? Motor oil and detergents share the fact that they are engineered for a purpose.

Here is a decent basic discussion of detergents. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detergent
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 01:35:41 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 02:19:31 PM »

Let me clarify my comment. Detergents represent a large class of compounds with different properties. You need to match the properties to the application.

Thanks for that.  After reading it I went back and looked at my original post.  I see where I misrepresented my intent.  I wrote, "I've been told that some soaps are much better than those sold by the people who rent the machines."  I went on to ask for readers' favorite soap or formula.

I asked for a favorite soap—the machine manufacturers all offer their company brand.  I figured that one may be better than others or that a general purpose soap may be an even better choice.  So, I asked for opinions.

Knowing that professional carpet cleaners sometimes "tweak" their solutions, I also asked for readers' formulae.

Again, thanks for your insight.

Paul

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 08:43:23 PM »

I purchased a Hoover Steam-vac carpet cleaner several years back from a rather large and long time local store. They specialize in vacuums, carpet cleaners and the like. Very knowledgable, helpful and honest.

They sold me "X-Tract" cleaner that works very well. The exact same soap they sell to the professional carpet cleaners. They didn't even try to sell me the Hoover soap!

Advice they gave me was: Vacuum first. Spot clean and scrub any dirty spots prior to using the machine. After cleaning, RINSE with water only.  This removes the soap an operation the pros don't  do as they

want to get on to the next job. The soap if not rinsed will attract dirt! Hard to believe I know.  Lastly; Don't soak the carpet either with the soap solution or the rinse.

If there is furniture, cut up pieces of plastic  and placed under the legs will prevent the soap and water from leaching the finish from the wood that will stain the carpet..

Canadian John,

What specific brand is the X-Tract cleaner? Googling it came up with at least a half dozen manufacturers.

Thanks...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up