Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Hank D Thoreau on 01 Dec 2021
  • I don't speak about personal finance stuff on-line but I will offer this:

Don't judge by how much they take, judge by how much you make.

If you have the right service, it should out perform what you can do personally.

Even breaking even means that you don't have to do the tedious research and can spend your time enjoying life.

You can't match the amount and quality of research, and the investment expertise that a good service can provide.

If the service does not do better than you can do personally, then you have the wrong service.
  • #32 by dk117 on 01 Dec 2021
  • wow, there are some great perspectives here.  I'll try to add mine.

47 years old with 25 years at a fortune 500 company middle management.  I'm fortunate enough to be able to retire tomorrow.  But I won't.  I've got two kids to put through college, two weddings to pay for, and maybe two down payments on absurd house prices.  Couple that with the before mentioned healthcare gap between retirement and Medicare, I'll keep the slog going another decade and call it quits.

DK

PS Bar-B-Lew yeah I have the Fidelity app and 401k, I'm set.  I don't use a financial planner as I have the background to do it myself.   I find it kind of funny/ironic.  Financial planner, ok if they are great at their job, they would be retired already  :rotf: Otherwise they are just a strain on my growth. 
  • #33 by hughver on 01 Dec 2021

• If the service does not do better than you can do personally, then you have the wrong service.

Amen to that
  • #34 by Kristin Meredith on 01 Dec 2021
  • I pay 1% to my financial advisor and he has doubled my money in 8 years, so good deal for both of us.
  • #35 by dk117 on 01 Dec 2021
  • right, but 8 years ago IVV (S&P 500 index fund) was $185.  Today it's over $450 a share.   A rising tide lifts all boats.   I'm not seeing value in paying 1% of my annual investment dollars to a financial advisor.  Over a lifetime that's a ton of money that should be yours but is ending up in your advisors pocket. 
  • #36 by Bentley on 01 Dec 2021
  • If you are happy with results doing it yourself, more power to you.  But the numbers show that most folks that use financial advisors make about 15% more over time.
  • #37 by Brushpopper on 01 Dec 2021
  • I pay 1% to my financial advisor and he has doubled my money in 8 years, so good deal for both of us.

I'm with Kristin.  I pay 1.5% and she has made me waaayyy more than I could have on my own.  I'm not versed in any of that.  I'm your basic dumb ol' cowboy with a high school education that got lucky.
  • #38 by dk117 on 01 Dec 2021
  • sorry guys, we're going to have to disagree on this one.  I'm more than capable of managing my own assets.

Warren Buffett. 
    “If returns are going to be 7 or 8 percent and you’re paying 1 percent for fees, that makes an enormous difference in how much money you’re going to have in retirement.”
  • #39 by Kristin Meredith on 01 Dec 2021
  • right, but 8 years ago IVV (S&P 500 index fund) was $185.  Today it's over $450 a share.   A rising tide lifts all boats.   I'm not seeing value in paying 1% of my annual investment dollars to a financial advisor.  Over a lifetime that's a ton of money that should be yours but is ending up in your advisors pocket.

And 8 yrs ago, I would not know what the IVV index fund was, or whether to invest in it or whether to put my money in something else and would have had to spend time researching, etc. -- and maybe even then made the wrong decision.

So, if you enjoy spending your time doing that and are good at it, then that is the way to go.  I mean, I do my own cooking where a lot of folks eat out because they don't like to cook.  I think it is just a matter of comfort level, knowledge and how much time you want to spend in any given area and whether your end results are good.  I think if I burned everything, I might give up cooking..
  • #40 by Darwin on 01 Dec 2021

• Jack Bogle's Little Book and a few index funds / ETFs    :cool:
  • #41 by bregent on 01 Dec 2021

^^^^^^^
    Required reading for all investors, whether or not you hire a financial advisor.
  • #42 by JoeGrilling on 01 Dec 2021
  • Dealing with millennials.  Two of my kids invest in the market.  The other with the most education does not.  I have taken investment classes while working on my MBA.  The thing I figured out was if you do not want to follow individual stocks, index funds is where you should be in order to take advantage of the equity market which is so much better than pass book savings.  The two watch their grandfather tied to a screen watching the market and decided they did not want to spend their time doing that.  I got both of them into Vanguard index funds when they were college.  They have money in both the S&P 500 fund and small cap. Both of the kids buy on market dips.  My son could probably almost pay cash for a house in Houston.  He's been out of college three years.  They both also max out on their 401Ks every year.  I'm happy that I turned two out of three kids into squirrels. I'm still working on the oldest.   
  • #43 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Dec 2021

^^^^^^^
    Required reading for all investors, whether or not you hire a financial advisor.

Got the book yesterday and I am half way through reading it.  The mantra seems to be low cost S&P 500 index funds.  Looking forward to see if there are any other nuggets in the rest of the book.
  • #44 by BigDave83 on 10 Dec 2021
  • I see a lot of S&P and mutual funds as well as some others things mentioned here. No crypto though. Curious if anyone is in to any of it. I don't know a lot about it I do have some different coins and tokens. The potential for a good return is there if you do some research on different things.

I am sure most have heard of Shiba Inu. Had you bought $5 worth at this time last year your portfolio would be worth close $4 million today. It is down a little over 50% of it's high in October.  I was not into crypto stuff as much a year ago. But I see the potentials of it today.
  • #45 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Dec 2021
  • I view crypto as a giant ponzi scheme.
Pages:
Actions