Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Memphis Beale  (Read 8854 times)

TravlinMan

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Memphis Beale
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2022, 03:49:51 AM »

Glad to hear they are on top of it, got their bases covered as well as treating you well. 

Congrats on a good resolution.. 
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2022, 09:39:48 AM »

Nice to hear Zakk is still there and they’re taking care of you.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2022, 11:03:05 AM »

Glad it is still good.  Greg always provided outstanding service.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2022, 04:22:11 PM »

Thought I might add a pic of the drip tray when properly centered. The lower baffle is not visible or exposed to dripping grease as was noted when the tray was not centered.  Easy fix: just make sure it is centered before a cook, or put a small notch in the correct place on the track it is sliding on? Lets see if that works better..

« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 04:25:54 PM by okie smokie »

okie smokie

« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2022, 09:41:22 PM »

Received the new control, RTD, and WiFi firmware update.
1. control installed, and seems to be working. Temps run about 5 to 10* cooler at 350 set temp; 5 to 8* cooler at 225* and about the same at 220*. That's good enough for me.  They sent me RTD for the Advantage model. It is about 18 inches too short. Did not come with female clips that are required.Hmmn?  The thumb drive for the WiFi upgrade was included but no instructions. Two new grill grates. One was "pre-warped" a little but fortunately I only needed one flat one.
Bottom Line:  Seems to be working well.  Now for the WiFi.  Zakk promised to walk me thru that part. More to follow.

okie smokie

« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2022, 07:24:20 PM »

Installed the WiFi upgrade today and it is up and running.  Checked the RTD and it is fine. So won't have to install a new one for now. (they sent the one that the wires are not long enough anyhow). Did a high temp run at 550 today and it was stable at 541-542. So all is well. Thanks for all the support.  :bbq: :cool: :clap:

PS: one question:  After using a thumb drive upgrade to wifi, do you leave the thumb drive in, or remove it? I will leave it in until I get an answer.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 07:26:58 PM by okie smokie »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2022, 07:38:50 PM »

remove
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2022, 09:11:10 PM »

okie smokie

« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2022, 03:32:13 PM »

Final note on my BS by Memphis:
Seemed to have resolved my fears of grease fires. Two things:
1. keep the pit level. Tilting to one side or another, allows grease to travel down the grates to the low ends, and thus from there down the sides. On the Memphis if it drains down front or back, then it will be in the fire pot area.
2.  Make sure the "flavorizer" assembly is centered so that dripping grease drips outside the divider wall and not inside for the same reason. The fire I had was due to this error on my part and also, to a damaged control that caused run away heat. Of course I will use a drip pan for large fatty cooks as added insurance.
Now I level the Beale Street for long cooks, and greasy cooks.  Overall, very happy with the Memphis.

PS:  One comment on PID controls.  I think the pro explanations on how they work are misleading.  We all know that while we see the "actual" temp matching up with the "set" temp when we are cooking, that the "real" temp is never steady and fluctuates up and down quite a bit. On both my RT 590 and Beale Street, this is as much as 20-25* each way at times.  Answer as to why? is that the "actual" is the calculated average of these fluctuations. And if your PID is working well, then it is accurately calculating the average "actual".  Otherwise, we would all have to watch the "actual" going up and down and be willing to not worry about it. Comments?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2022, 04:50:49 PM »

Once my Memphis Pro is warmed up, I guarantee that it does not swing 25°.  I understand what you are saying, but it does not happen once my pit is stabilized.  5° would be a huge shift!  You would be able to see proof of that if the old Pelletheads PT were still accessible.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 04:52:20 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2022, 05:43:31 PM »

Once my Memphis Pro is warmed up, I guarantee that it does not swing 25°.  I understand what you are saying, but it does not happen once my pit is stabilized.  5° would be a huge shift!  You would be able to see proof of that if the old Pelletheads PT were still accessible.

Mine functions similar to yours unless Thermoworks is doing some sort of averaging of averages too which I don't think they are.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2022, 07:43:00 PM »

I made a windy reply and just removed it. My only real fluctuations are in the low/slow area. May be that my previously trusty Maverick oven probe is bad. So rather than blather, I will get in touch with Zakk again (although it took him a month to finally send me the visual on replacing the RTD).  I suspect the ITC 2  is not as good as the ITC 3 on the Elite or Pro. Thanks for the info.

okie smokie

« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2022, 10:54:12 AM »

Just so I understand: You are saying that when your "set" temp was reached by the "actual" temp on your control, that you confirmed that the temp was correct, and steady with your independent thermometer probe (i.e. ThermoPro or the like?) and that the independent probe then did not vary 5+- degrees thereafter?

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2022, 12:26:32 PM »

My Memphis Pro experience measuring temperatures.

Coming from a Traeger Lil' Tex I was leary of the temperature readings on the Pro. IThe Pro was very fast to warm up from cold. IE 66º ambient to the set temp of 300º. For some reason I have always set the

set  temp @300º when starting, & go from there,  up or down once 300º is reached...

I  placed my Thermoworks Dot thermometer centre ef the grate ~ 1" high prior to startup. Turned the Pro on. Both the Pro & the Dot read the same, degree to degree all the way to 300º. I was/am impressed

with my test results.   :2cents:

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2022, 03:44:51 PM »

It would usually take 20-30 minutes once the set temperature was reach, but once that happened, the fluctuation were very small.

Just so I understand: You are saying that when your "set" temp was reached by the "actual" temp on your control, that you confirmed that the temp was correct, and steady with your independent thermometer probe (i.e. ThermoPro or the like?) and that the independent probe then did not vary 5+- degrees thereafter?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up