Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Memphis Beale  (Read 8852 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: Memphis Beale
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 02:55:06 PM »

I suspect that with two sets of full crews that there are a lot of would be cooks using a grill. I will give them a manual, and if there are no pellet experienced guys, a personal list of suggested do's and don'ts.  Or should I just disappear?

okie smokie

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2022, 02:56:24 PM »

Bet you feel better okie - the decision that is.    Now the excitement starts.
already started. 

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2022, 03:11:19 PM »

I suspect that with two sets of full crews that there are a lot of would be cooks using a grill. I will give them a manual, and if there are no pellet experienced guys, a personal list of suggested do's and don'ts.  Or should I just disappear?

I'd provide whatever help they need.
You never know when you might need their help.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2022, 05:01:10 PM »

Beale Street is already shipped and will reach the Tulsa terminal tomorrow, with home delivery possible the next day. That would be fantastic!  The local fire department is planning to come tomorrow for pick up of the 590 AND the 380. Loved em both but will be happy to consolidate the space used with a unit that will cover all the bases. I must say that for the buck, that RT is still the best bang. I will have a whole new area to explore with the Memphis but am anxiously looking forward to it. Appreciate any heads up PF can offer.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2022, 05:32:43 PM »

Don't cook low and slow with something greasy and let it get on the drip pan and then start up the high heat.  You run the risk of a fire.

Also, look for aluminum cake pans that fit the size of the grease and ash drawers.  You will want to put them in the drawers.  It will be much easier for you to clean.

When I clean, which is not often, I usually use a paint scraper to clean the drip pan.  Sometimes need to use a power washer to clean it and the racks.  I would buy all of the upper racks it can handle if you have not already.  Always good to have.

Make sure you get a good seal on the pellet hopper if you plan to keep it outside and not covered.

Those are all of my learnings from my Memphis Elite that is about 10 years old.  Slightly different design and certainly different controller than you have, but possibly run into similar issues I noted above.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new grill and your cooks on it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2022, 07:39:41 PM »

Kind of a Bold statement!  Are you sure?

Don't cook low and slow with something greasy and let it get on the drip pan and then start up the high heat.  You run the risk of a fire.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2022, 07:59:17 PM »

I've seen that a few times, but unlike you I was too scared to continue cooking.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2022, 07:23:43 AM »

I've seen that a few times, but unlike you I was too scared to continue cooking.

Just get longer tongs and you will be good.

okie smokie

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2022, 08:20:44 AM »

Will be sure to avoid fire risk. Thanks for the info Lew. That could happen with any pit. Less likely using a large disposable drip pan on the bottom rack, and the meat on the middle rack and of course removing the pan before upping the heat. I see a lot of folks doing that in videos. The extra racks were free in the package as was the tool, cover, and meat probe.  Had to pay only for the direct flame flavoriser.  BBQ Authority offers those 4 extras free up front whereas other retailer ads want you to pay for therm. I also saw ad for $300 discount on the price, with the 4 extras at regular price (which is about the same total as I paid.)  Ordered on Monday, (at ORD near Chicago) and it will arrive Tulsa today.  3+ days! Will report on how that worked out, and do a better job of documenting the delivery, packaging and putting it all together.
Now if the firemen come for pickup of my RT's today as promised---

okie smokie

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2022, 08:23:03 AM »

Kind of a Bold statement!  Are you sure?

Lucky your house did not catch on fire!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2022, 09:48:10 AM »

It's all in the Wrist!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2022, 10:29:04 AM »

Never had a fire in any of mine (3), other that an auger fire that I believe was my fault. That's a story for another time.
I use foil on my drip tray. Makes cleanup easy.
Also put baking soda in the grease trays to absorb the grease. Greatly reduces chances of fire.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2022, 10:37:49 AM »

Never had a fire in any of mine (3), other that an auger fire that I believe was my fault. That's a story for another time.
Also put baking soda in the grease trays to absorb the grease. Greatly reduces chances of fire.
Thanks for the tip on Baking Soda. I don't recall a grease fire, but have had some in Auger.  Should be no problem of that kind with this pit.
Looks like my timing was lucky.  Firemen on way to pick up old, and the new is arriving today also, should have it delivered tomorrow?

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2022, 11:29:24 AM »

Thanks for the tip on Baking Soda. I don't recall a grease fire, but have had some in Auger.  Should be no problem of that kind with this pit.
Looks like my timing was lucky.  Firemen on way to pick up old, and the new is arriving today also, should have it delivered tomorrow?

OK, OK, you dragged it out of me. I'll tell you how I got the auger fire.
I'm sure you know that the pellets slide down a ramp from the rear located hopper on the Pro and Elite.
Well I was doing a brisket on the Elite and and it was little too far to the back and grease dripped down behind the drip tray onto the ramp.
That caused pellets to stick to the ramp, build up, and catch fire.
Eventually the fire worked it's way up into the hopper.
I was lucky that I was able to clean it out and no damage to the auger.

I keep saying I'm going to put a little plate back there so anything that does drip will be directed onto the drip tray and not the ramp.
Just never gets on my to-do list.

okie smokie

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2022, 06:09:42 PM »

OK, OK, you dragged it out of me. I'll tell you how I got the auger fire.
I'm sure you know that the pellets slide down a ramp from the rear located hopper on the Pro and Elite.
Well I was doing a brisket on the Elite and and it was little too far to the back and grease dripped down behind the drip tray onto the ramp.
That caused pellets to stick to the ramp, build up, and catch fire.
Eventually the fire worked it's way up into the hopper.
I was lucky that I was able to clean it out and no damage to the auger.

I keep saying I'm going to put a little plate back there so anything that does drip will be directed onto the drip tray and not the ramp.
Just never gets on my to-do list.
Also, if the grill is not on level surface, the grease landing on the grates will drain down to the low end(front or back depending which is downhill) and drip down the sides to the bottom area.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up