Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Memphis Beale  (Read 8856 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: Memphis Beale
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2022, 06:15:41 PM »

Got the Flavoriser open flame insert today from FedEx. Also the Memphis arrived at the local terminal. If it is delivered tomorrow, I'll be cookin this weekend.. 

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2022, 08:57:50 PM »

Can't wait to see it all set up and in use.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2022, 09:01:04 PM »

That grill is about $1500 less than the new Traeger that was introduced this week.  I think you got a better deal.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2022, 10:59:39 PM »

That grill is about $1500 less than the new Traeger that was introduced this week.  I think you got a better deal.
Yup, I think so too.  I was wrong about it being here today.  Misread the travel hx.  Should arrive tomorrow or Sat. 
While you have to give Traeger credit for developing the market, I've always thought they were overpriced for what they deliver. Nonetheless, they probably have the biggest chunk of the market. My first was a Lil Tex, and did fine with it. It is still going strong with my friend who bought it 6 years ago.

okie smokie

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2022, 12:18:19 PM »

Saw the new Traeger yesterday at ACE. They had the bigger one. Very impressive!  Stainless inside, and double walled, heavy grates. There is an induction cooker on the left side that will allow searing without propane tank. With all the good points, the exterior is still made of painted sheet metal. And the price was around $3600. Just FYI

okie smokie

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2022, 02:52:48 PM »

Delivered yesterday.  Bottom of box crushed slightly from weight of grill, sitting on a pallet with single strap around. The bottom was actually sitting on the cardboard bottom of what is a flimsy box.  It had been sitting on a styrofoam ledge but that had broken in transit.The packing itself is fine, they just need to use a heavier duty box (like RT does). Also, the various comments on line about 45 minutes to assemble is BS. Took the better part of the afternoon to remove the adhesive cover on every piece. Meanwhile construction of the cabinet and base  went well, I have also pre, constructed the two side shelves to attach after we get the main body from my garage  and thru the house to the back porch (our yard is muddy and bumpy).
This afternoon my Son In Law will come over and help lift the main pit and place it on the wheeled base. Only then will I see if any exterior damage is present on the bottom. Will crank it up tonight when completed and see if it is working properly.  I have called BBQ Authority to advise, and they said to call if any problems and they will make it good and that includes shipping it back and sending another.  So far all the pieces are intact with no dents or scratches seen. I will put all the photos together when project is completed and tested.  So far, impressed with the design, and precise finishing of all the parts I have assembled. Stainless self locking bolts, and all the threads are installed in precisely the correct spot (no nuts or lock washers needed). If I had one con: it would be that they might have used 16guage SS instead of 18 gauge. But I think that the strength appears adequate. More to follow.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2022, 03:40:57 PM »

We've been waiting for this okie. The dreaded SS protective wrap is a bummer for sure.

I am as excited as you for the next chapter to evolve.

okie smokie

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2022, 09:49:50 PM »

It's done!  It went together well with no significant problems.  After my grandsons lifted and placed the pit on the base, I inspected the bottom: No evidence of damage.  Next we moved it to the porch without difficulty. I hung the two side shelves in place.  I was able to connect to the WiFi but couldn't get into the app. to follow and control. So decided to do that at a later date.  Later I found that I had forgotten to put the external antenna on the pit. Duh! As directed, I loaded it up with LJ Hickory and burned it in as directed at 450*. It went up to 450* in 13-14 minutes and kept going to 509*, then it drifted down rapidly to 450 and stayed there for the next 45 min. I tested the temp at center grate level and got 446*. At that point decided to just cook on it and see how that goes. When I turned it off, the control read "'Cool Down Mode, Do not pull the plug." It shut off about 10 minutes later. Happy! Ribs tomorrow!
On arrival. bottom of box looks crunched.

Yes it was a pain.

Bottom cabinet and wheels completed.

Getting ready to close er up and test at 450*

Sorry I cut off her head, and left fingerprints.  After the break-in and in "shut down mode" I put the side shelves on during cool down.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2022, 07:19:13 AM »

Nice looking cooker. This one is imported? Don't know much about Memphis cookers. Where does it exhaust at?

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2022, 09:00:21 AM »

Nice write-up okie.  Wow! That's shiny..

I noticed the pallet. Solid Oak. Just like the one that came with my Memphis years back.. Just wish I had kept it for the wood.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2022, 10:42:38 AM »

Looks very nice!!! Keeping it that way is the problem. Hahaha
I still can't understand why they make you log in to use you grill with the app.  ???

===============================================================================
Nice looking cooker. This one is imported? Don't know much about Memphis cookers. Where does it exhaust at?

Dave, with the lid closed, there is a slot at the back if the lid that runs the entire length of the lid.
Smoke exits there.  No chimney needed.
At least I'm assuming it is the same as the Pro and the Elite.
I think all their grills are made in China since fall of 2019.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2022, 10:44:08 AM »

I noticed the pallet. Solid Oak. Just like the one that came with my Memphis years back.. Just wish I had kept it for the wood.

Whenever I get a pallet like that, I cut it up into pieces to use as kindling for my pizza oven.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2022, 09:32:40 PM »

Ribs!  Interesting first cook:
Did BB ribs at 225*, 2hrs naked, 2 hrs wrapped with the usual goodies, 30 min naked after saucing. Too long, as they came out falling off the bone when I tried to cut them,BUT absolutely delicious.
Memphis is set up so when temp is 180* to 299*,it is in "smoke mode" with intermittent fan. Unfortunately, not much smoke was seen. There was a moderate smoke ring, but hardly any smoke flavor, with 100% Hickory LJ pellets. The fan pauses were significant, but did not produce the desired smoke? Maybe I missed seeing the "blue" smoke? The temps however were amazingly accurate to the set temp of 225*.  Wonder if anyone else has  noted this lack of smoke  with the new Memphis control system? The "Actual" temp on the screen went right up to 225* and stayed there the entire cook.
Will reduce the wrapped time on the next cook.
Bottom line: A good first experience over all. Will need to adjust to the new pit.
Next: Will try the open flame for steaks. Have to leave the lid up when using the direct flavorizer. Will have to do some thinking on that. I do not plan to use GrillGrates on this pit if the open flame setup does the job. Suggestions welcome.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2022, 09:38:33 PM »

You won't need grill grates.

My 10 year old Memphis has the exact same temperature control vs the controller using independent thermometer.  It has the same intermittent fan too.  Also, the same appearance of lack of smoke coming out of it.  It just burns super clean.  Hopefully, you saved some ribs and have them in a bag in your fridge.  You will taste the smoke the next time you eat them.

I don't think the mechanics of their controller have changed much if at all.  I think they just added some additional features to it and made the screen look nicer.

I hope you end up liking it.  I think it is one of the best brands on the market.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2022, 10:29:06 PM »

This pit is a front hopper like the old Select?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up